2017 Brown TroutPron

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Brown TroutPron

2017 was both a wonderful and vexing year. I blew up my motor during the best part of the year, I fought water levels all year, increased pressure on the fishery, and just generally had a more challenging go this year.

The fishery is getting more and more technical and I love it!

Thoroughly enjoyed fishing with the incomparable CHEFKY, Jerry and Phil, and also my bride to be, Jess.

This is a 2017 Recap of some of the better fish caught on the "Kyped-Up" (Yes I am actually naming my Jon that), either by myself or the crew.

I interacted with more 25"+ fish this year than ever, but managed to shoot myself in the foot on landing rates more than previous years. Easily 6 or 7 fish that size lost this year.

Go Get You One in 2018!

The Mac Daddy of 2017 - The 27.5 inch Troll (Those of you who know the location know why I say this)

Then in no particular order.

Last edited by browniez; 12-14-17, 08:08 PM.
    I like em big fat and sloppy.

Man all I can say is that's awesome, truly some amazing specimens you got there.

Comment

You really are in a whole different universe compared to most of us....
      Hi my name is Charles and I'm a fishaholic.

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith

Comment

You can all join us but you have to put the work in!!! Here is what I caught so far this year that have been some awesome fish: 1.
        FAT 16"
        Colored up 19"

17" Baby Hook Jaw

23" Ole Split Jaw

26"x17" Cow Brown

Obligatory Release vid...
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMu3d3Taxus

And the St. Patrick's Day Brown that Alex has above, here is the release video, beware Language btw. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31TwO8jv5XU

Oh and here is a teaser from the Montana thread I need to post... 24"x14" Jack Brown from the Ruby River.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05xxMVoVugY

YOU CAN ALL DO THIS TOO!!! Ole split jaw and the big mouth brown were caught in Alex’s boat, the big cow and the fish from Montana were both wet wading so anything is possible!!! I did it within a year of applying myself non-stop!!! Get it!!!
        Last edited by Philhutch80; 01-09-18, 04:26 PM.
        #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
        -Chinese Proverb

ďAt sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.Ē
        -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
        -PH

Comment

solid fish dudes

Originally posted by ChaChung View Post
          You really are in a whole different universe compared to most of us....
          dont get too down on yourself if you're predominately fly-fishing..

Comment

Originally posted by WadingThroughLife View Post
            solid fish dudes

dont get too down on yourself if you're predominately fly-fishing..
            Totally agree with this as I’m sure Kyle didn’t mean to come across as elitist by his statement. I fly fish but I also conventional tackle fish because I try to optimize my opportunities to catch fish. Whatever works for you and makes you happy style-wise do it!!! My preference is to go after the big boys and you have to dial it in. Alex has it on point as the endless pics above show. I am not there to where I would like to be and still have some big goals I am shooting for.
            Last edited by Philhutch80; 12-14-17, 05:07 PM.
            #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
            -Chinese Proverb

ďAt sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.Ē
            -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
            -PH

Comment

Heck of a year, fellas. Congrats on all the fishes. to many more!
              @glennmau

Comment

Originally posted by Philhutch80 View Post
                Totally agree with this as Iím sure Kyle didnít mean to come across as elitist by his statement. I fly fish but I also conventional tackle fish because I try to optimize my opportunities to catch fish. Whatever works for you and makes you happy style-wise do it!!!
                ^^^^^^^^^
                THIS!!!

That is so wonderful to read from someone on the message boards here. We're known as North Georgia Trout Online. We're not North Georgia Fly Fishing Online. Although the majority of our members are fly anglers, we're all about catching trout by whatever legal method one may choose to employ.

I started out with an ultralight spinning set-up when I first hit the 'Hooch in a canoe with my wife. It was wonderful! We caught all kinds of trout and had a wonderful time. Eventually I had to try this fly fishing thing that everyone seemed to be so excited about. I truly sucked at it for an overly long time, but eventually I got the hang of it to a small degree.

I now fish for trout exclusively with a fly rod just because of the more intimate connection with the fish, but I would be in the wrong to declare someone to be a lesser angler than me because of their choice of conventional rod and reel over a fly rod. The fun and enjoyment is had in catching the fish, however you choose to do it, as long as it's legal.

Thanks for mentioning this, Phil. Every once in awhile it's nice to be reminded that you don't have to be a fly angler to fully enjoy catching trout. And as another point, please keep in mind that not all of us fly anglers are snobby elitists. We're in north Georgia. Most of us are redneck, hill-billy, or just plain rubes. (Except for RScott, Buck Henry, GatorByte, and a couple other high-falutin' snobs who only sip the finest scotch - neat - while on the river. :ke
                If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.

Comment

It's interesting because to me the lines are blurring further and further.

How is a Dropjaw head tied up much different than a bucktail jig?

Alot of the next generation of big fish guys almost fish in a bastardized hybrid medium like we do.

It's pretty cool having the ability to the up your own fish em in hmm, different ways.

Comment

I recognize the fish in your third picture. I caught it too - measurements taken and it's replica is being made at the taxidermist. He is my lifetime brown trout - no doubt about it.

Congratulations on a great year in 2017. You have some great photos of awesome specimens of brown trout.

"Not every Soldier is a Joe"

You can support the NGTO Mission Statement and Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes. Buy a TU License Plate!

Comment

I don't care how y'all get those fish in the net, they're amazing.
                      Congrats! Y'all have done to research, the leg work, etc etc, I applaud you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by retiredmp View Post
                        I recognize the fish in your third picture. I caught it too - measurements taken and it's replica is being made at the taxidermist. He is my lifetime brown trout - no doubt about it.

Congratulations on a great year in 2017. You have some great photos of awesome specimens of brown trout.
                        Thank you!!! And he can be your lifetime brown again next year! He's swimming around munching unsuspecting creatures as we type!

Comment

2017 was a very good year for me. Netting big fish for friends, seeing my dad get his first brown on the White river, and seeing my wife get her first brown on the Hooch.

I do agree there is an evolution happening in lures/streamers/combinations of the 2.

Fishmonger's EZ fly is a great example of a sort of jerk bait thrown with a fly rod, though using a hair or feathered tail for additional movement. There is also an opportunity to do somewhat of the opposite, build streamers meant to throw using spinning tackle for efficiency.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

My lucky stars aligned this fall on the Hooch. I missed 2 good ones in November, but can't even be mad about it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by JerryG; 12-14-17, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Aaaaaaaaaaabd Jerry completes the tripod of our little Ramada.

He had the best year by far! And he deserved it!

Comment

Working...
                              X