No announcement yet.

History of Trout Fishing on the Chattahoochee River

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back in the 80's trout were caught at highway 78 bridge and below Charlie Brown Airport those where the good old days. the new days aarn't bad either big browns above Morgan Falls Stripers below Morgan Falls all the way to West Point Lake

Comment

Originally posted by jimbo View Post
      the new days aarn't bad either
      Amen to that

Comment

I hooked a butter belly on the hooch today, trout don't eat like redfish. I need to step up my hookset game. But it was cool floating solo in the boat. Ya'll can find me on the hooch fo sho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        "I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
        -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

"Stop Whining"

Comment

It was in the 80's that TU got the chance for a few years to stock fingerling browns via raft from Johnson Ferry all the way down to 285 bridge. In subsequent years the dry fly fishing in Cochran was exceptional. The stocking was fun but not without incident. As we were getting the rafts loaded from the stocking truck which was on the ramp, the truck's brakes let loose and it started rolling back onto those of us who were in the water. Fortunately, one quick thinking fellow dove into the cab and pumped the breaks which stopped the truck just short of pinning us to the bottom. Still, the overall adventure was well worth it. I will never forget catching healthy browns in Cochran shoals on Memorial Day weekend amongst all of those nasty rafters.

Comment

Another note on the increased silt from Buford to Morgan falls. If I remember correctly up to year 2000 If I remember correctly there was a sand dredge above Maginiss Ferry and in the spring a dredge would be placed at a the ramp at Maginiss Ferry just above the bridge after all sand sucked up the drege would go up river. There were dredges above and below Rogers bridge and drag line operation below State route 120 above Abbotts Bridge. The last dredge was below 400 above the rowing club. There was always good catching below the dredges.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Henry View Post
              Well, these were my childhood memories of the Hooch. At the time, I had no idea there were trout swimming under my drunk a$$!

The good ol' days = Lawn chair on top of cooler in banana yellow coleman raft . No bad vibes. No one-upmanship. Zero f$cks given. No holier than thou attitudes. Big fish in the river. Coke bottle glasses. Old school, pull tab Budweiser cans.

Now = super space technology rods/ reels, 3' streamers, $10k drift boats ( minimum, if you wanna maximize your chances at catching fish- more less be a guide... ), $150 chest packs, online casting lessons, Every single f$ck given & now all dudes must rep a holier than thou attitude...

I'm kidding, btw...
              Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right... R. Hunter

Comment

Originally posted by troutbum69 View Post
                I hooked a butter belly on the hooch today, trout don't eat like redfish. I need to step up my hookset game. But it was cool floating solo in the boat. Ya'll can find me on the hooch fo sho

Now were talking, brother
                Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right... R. Hunter

Comment

Looks like a pretty wood drift boat. Did you make it?

Comment

Originally posted by jocko View Post
                    Looks like a pretty wood drift boat. Did you make it?

Yeah I put a thread in the watercraft section

"Stop Whining"

Comment

Originally posted by The Ole Man View Post
                      From the article huntfish noted--

The first trout stocked in the river, however, were not deposited by the state wildlife agency, then called the Game and Fish Commission, but by a group of avid fishermen with the Atlanta Chapter of the Izaak Walton League, who later formed the first Trout Unlimited chapter in the state. These anglers wanted to see trout in the river, and after not getting any cooperation from the state decided to take on the project themselves. In 1962 they pooled $2,500 and bought 12,500 rainbow trout fingerlings sizes 2 to 4 inches long from a trout farm in North Carolina. The owner there was so impressed by the project that he threw in another 2,500 brown trout fingerlings. The fish were released after dark in the shoals of the river approximately 1 mile south of Old Jones Bridge in Norcross. The trout survived and within a year had grown to 12-14 inches, a growth rate of nearly 1 inch per month.

Just to note-- $2500 was a far more sizable sum in 1962 than it is today. In 1962 you could buy a new car foe $2500.

So if someone were to dump in about 5000 proper smallmouth bass they'll be viewed as a hero in half a century? I'm on my way to Michigan with a clean tanker truck and started a kickstarter......

"Stop Whining"

Comment

So if someone were to dump in about 5000 proper smallmouth bass they'll be viewed as a hero in half a century? I'm on my way to Michigan with a clean tanker truck and started a kickstarter......

That is essentially what I took from it as well =)

Comment

Hey @troutbum69, while you are at it throw in a tanker load of mysis shrimp!
                          #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
                          -Chinese Proverb

“At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.”
                          -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
                          -PH

Comment

Working...
                          X