Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History of Trout Fishing on the Chattahoochee River

All,

I know I had made a mention of this in other threads and perhaps we could get Bill Couch or Chris Scalley to chime in and add on here. We are the cold water fishermen of Georgia and it is a loss to those who currently fish this great river that there is so little documented history for us to understand what this river has been capable of producing. Let's keep this thread running and alive so that as information comes to light it can be added!!!

First up: Field & Stream June 1995- Stan Crigger's ridiculous day of rainbows!!!
    13 1/2, 12 1/2 & 11lb Rainbows from BELOW Morgan Falls
    https://books.google.com/books?id=OR...20river&f=true

And a couple of interesting GON & NGTO threads that also talk about Stan:
    NGTO- http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/foru...ad.php?t=39650
    GON- http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=755163

And the last thing I have found was a February 1975 article talking about the Chattahoochee being a hidden gem for trout and that musky were planning to be stocked back into all the northern lakes:
    https://books.google.com/books?id=bp...0river&f=false

I am still searching for more and if you find something cool or have something interesting to add please do! It's nice to see little tid bits of where we have come from so feel free to reflect!
    #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
    -Chinese Proverb

“At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.”
    -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
    -PH

I remember watching a fishing show when I was a kid and they were on the hooch catching hefty rainbows. I cant for the life of me remember which show.
    http://www.bigtflyfishing.com

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off

Comment

http://www.gon.com/fishing/trout-fis...ahoochee-river

Comment

"This trout fishery began when a handful of anglers first stocked trout in the Chattahoochee River in 1962. By the cover of night they dumped 12,500 rainbow trout purchased from a farm in North Carolina. DNR later began stocking the river with both brown and rainbow trout."

Blew my mind reading that!!! We owe some thanks to those fishermen!!!
        #JBNavy

-Chinese Proverb

-Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
        -PH

Comment

I remember in the 80's when we fished for big trout on Lanier at night. Beautiful fish. Maybe some slipped thru.

Comment

Here's a good article for you.

http://sherpaguides.com/georgia/chat...out/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
              I remember watching a fishing show when I was a kid and they were on the hooch catching hefty rainbows. I cant for the life of me remember which show.
              Probably Georgia Outdoors TV

Comment

Hootch in the 70's....What a change now...

I remember as a teenager parking the truck on the side of 2-lane Hwy 141 at Medlock Bridge and carrying the 14' boat , motor and gear down the rocks alongside the bridge ....Some days it'd be a trout on almost every cast for hours...Beetlespins , Shysters, Mepps...We finally figured out to pull out at Jones Bridge with a shuttle vehicle... Got reprimanded by a Ranger and had to quit that under the threat of tickets (he said rafts were OK , not boats !) ....Back to carrying the rig back up the rocks at the bridge...Don't ask me why, we just listened to "the man"...Does anybody know what year the Medlock ramp was put in ?....I had stopped trout fishing, other than the occasional wet wade, and started crappie fishing the south for a few years before I decided to use the ramp and get serious again....That would have been sometime mid 80's..

Oh. we did the 20 bridge a couple of times also....Would "jump" the cut at that first big rock upstream....Saw several boats swamped there....Rainbow Ranch would let us pull out on their side, but not put in...
                Last edited by LureheadEd; 12-21-17, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Well, these were my childhood memories of the Hooch. At the time, I had no idea there were trout swimming under my drunk a$$!

Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
                  Simple Goat Herder
                  Former NGTO President
                  Hall of Fame Member

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Henry View Post
                    Well, these were my childhood memories of the Hooch. At the time, I had no idea there were trout swimming under my drunk a$$!

Buck, please tell us all that your are the gentleman with the curly head in the middle of the second pic...
                    #JBNavy

-Chinese Proverb

-Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
                    -PH

Comment

Thanks for posting those links and those who added to this, it is definitely interesting to read up and see.

Comment

Originally posted by Philhutch80 View Post
                        "This trout fishery began when a handful of anglers first stocked trout in the Chattahoochee River in 1962. By the cover of night they dumped 12,500 rainbow trout purchased from a farm in North Carolina. DNR later began stocking the river with both brown and rainbow trout."

Blew my mind reading that!!! We owe some thanks to those fishermen!!!
                        Pretty sure this was the Izaak Walton League from what I understand. They used to have a chapter in Atlanta but I don't see any presence in the area on their web site now.
                        If this were rocket science most of us wouldn't be doing it. - Terry Creech

Comment

From the article huntfish noted--

The first trout stocked in the river, however, were not deposited by the state wildlife agency, then called the Game and Fish Commission, but by a group of avid fishermen with the Atlanta Chapter of the Izaak Walton League, who later formed the first Trout Unlimited chapter in the state. These anglers wanted to see trout in the river, and after not getting any cooperation from the state decided to take on the project themselves. In 1962 they pooled $2,500 and bought 12,500 rainbow trout fingerlings sizes 2 to 4 inches long from a trout farm in North Carolina. The owner there was so impressed by the project that he threw in another 2,500 brown trout fingerlings. The fish were released after dark in the shoals of the river approximately 1 mile south of Old Jones Bridge in Norcross. The trout survived and within a year had grown to 12-14 inches, a growth rate of nearly 1 inch per month.

Just to note-- $2500 was a far more sizable sum in 1962 than it is today. In 1962 you could buy a new car foe $2500.

Comment

So, was this 1962 stocking of the river breaking any laws back then? I assume so since the stocking occurred during the dark of night.
                            Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
                            Simple Goat Herder
                            Former NGTO President
                            Hall of Fame Member

Comment

"Better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission".

Comment

Working...
                              X