Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And POOF the water is clear! Merry Xmas!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • And POOF the water is clear! Merry Xmas!

    So I take a step into the river and something just seems odd... I look around and realize I can see my feet!!! Sigh... now Iím going to actually start having to tie realistic looking flies.

  • #2
    @glennmau

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by gau16 View Post


      I donít think think gronk would aprove.
      We are the music-makers,
      And we are the dreamers of dreams,
      Wandering by lone sea-breakers
      And sitting by desolate streams;
      World losers and world forsakers,
      On whom the pale moon gleams.

      Comment


      • #4
        Dude. Iím a Bills fan.
        @glennmau

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by gau16 View Post
          Dude. I’m a Bills fan.
          So was gronk!
          We are the music-makers,
          And we are the dreamers of dreams,
          Wandering by lone sea-breakers
          And sitting by desolate streams;
          World losers and world forsakers,
          On whom the pale moon gleams.

          Comment


          • #6
            Nice fish man.

            I went out yesterday for a few hours and it was tough! Only had 1 rainbow to net. 2 LDR. The water is clearing and maybe that's why? Or it may have been the sudden drop in water temps. Talked to 3 others fishing and they weren't having much of a day either...
            Hi my name is Charles and I'm a fishaholic.

            Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

            Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith

            Comment


            • #7
              Dang man, that sucks.

              I would have to think that dip in temps did it too..

              Looking pretty cold for the next week or so.
              @glennmau

              Comment


              • #8
                It happens every year, the fishing on the Hooch gets very tough. I call it the winter doldrums. Think "small and slow". Essentially, you have to hit them in the nose with a tiny fly. It is a good time to get your high sticking game tuned up.

                On warm days, there can be a Little Black Stone hatch that will get them rising, but they are super picky on them. That is usually on slower stretches of water. I think that is the reason a small Prince Nymph is a good Hooch fly.

                FM
                The tug is the drug!

                "Grow a pear!" - Groundpounder

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ChaChung View Post
                  Nice fish man.

                  I went out yesterday for a few hours and it was tough! Only had 1 rainbow to net. 2 LDR. The water is clearing and maybe that's why? Or it may have been the sudden drop in water temps. Talked to 3 others fishing and they weren't having much of a day either...

                  It's because they are so fed up on stoneflues.

                  They won't move far and are in the same but different locations. Same spots, but about 5 feet away from 2 or 3 weeks ago when they were off the channel side depth contours off the back side of structire.

                  They won't chase far.

                  Think so shallow and so deep in the wood that their backs must be dry. Bank side front of structure in fast fast water.

                  It's a grinders game right now.

                  It's certainly not because they aren't eating, the inverse.

                  Every fish I've caught the last week has literally been coughing up size 8 stones. Distended bellys (not spawning, farther up the bodyline).

                  Wood wood wood over a hard bottom with current.

                  As FM said, it's tough but can be done. Definitely far far far more technical fishing. With a smorgasbord of big protein in front of them you have to be ON IT!

                  Once you dial them some epic days can be had as they tend to group up.
                  Last edited by browniez; 12-27-17, 11:03 AM.
                  I like em big fat and sloppy.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    One good side effect of the cold weather: shad kill. We will probably see a shad kill this winter, the way temps are trending. If you hear about it, or start to see dead 1-2" shad in the drift, it is time. The closer to the dam the better. Try a white Bugger, or a #2 Shad Kill eFly (thus the origin of the name of that color scheme), and it is game on. Let it drift a lot with an occasional twitch. Lots of fun!

                    Or, based on what Alex said, try some big stone fly nymphs!

                    FM
                    The tug is the drug!

                    "Grow a pear!" - Groundpounder

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by browniez View Post
                      It's because they are so fed up on stoneflues.

                      They won't move far and are in the same but different locations. Same spots, but about 5 feet away from 2 or 3 weeks ago when they were off the channel side depth contours off the back side of structire.

                      They won't chase far.

                      Think so shallow and so deep in the wood that their backs must be dry. Bank side front of structure in fast fast water.

                      It's a grinders game right now.

                      It's certainly not because they aren't eating, the inverse.

                      Every fish I've caught the last week has literally been coughing up size 8 stones. Distended bellys (not spawning, farther up the bodyline).

                      Wood wood wood over a hard bottom with current.

                      As FM said, it's tough but can be done. Definitely far far far more technical fishing. With a smorgasbord of big protein in front of them you have to be ON IT!

                      Once you dial them some epic days can be had as they tend to group up.
                      They are literally picking the stoneflies off the logs as well. The fish that we have had come out this week were SUPER tight on structure! Yes the fish have looked skinny lately but these stoneflies are fattening them up fast! I wonder what the growth rate is right now...

                      Originally posted by fishmonger View Post
                      One good side effect of the cold weather: shad kill. We will probably see a shad kill this winter, the way temps are trending. If you hear about it, or start to see dead 1-2" shad in the drift, it is time. The closer to the dam the better. Try a white Bugger, or a #2 Shad Kill eFly (thus the origin of the name of that color scheme), and it is game on. Let it drift a lot with an occasional twitch. Lots of fun!

                      Or, based on what Alex said, try some big stone fly nymphs!

                      FM
                      43 degrees for the lake seems to be the magic number from reading up on various sources. When was the last recorded shad kill on the river you all can remember? Would like to go back and see what the weather conditions leading up to it were( i.e. how many days of cold and how intense was the cold).
                      #JBNavy

                      "Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
                      -Chinese Proverb

                      ďAt sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.Ē
                      -Norman Maclean

                      "We are what we hunt."
                      -PH

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by fishmonger View Post
                        One good side effect of the cold weather: shad kill. We will probably see a shad kill this winter, the way temps are trending. If you hear about it, or start to see dead 1-2" shad in the drift, it is time. The closer to the dam the better. Try a white Bugger, or a #2 Shad Kill eFly (thus the origin of the name of that color scheme), and it is game on. Let it drift a lot with an occasional twitch. Lots of fun!

                        Or, based on what Alex said, try some big stone fly nymphs!

                        FM
                        I've been thinking since early December we would see one this year.

                        The anticipation builds.
                        I like em big fat and sloppy.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Thanks FM and Alex.

                          That's good to know. I was doing pretty well on the stone flies last week and it just stopped for me yesterday. I will try out some of the tactics you guys wrote about.
                          Hi my name is Charles and I'm a fishaholic.

                          Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

                          Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Philhutch80 View Post
                            43 degrees for the lake seems to be the magic number from reading up on various sources. When was the last recorded shad kill on the river you all can remember? Would like to go back and see what the weather conditions leading up to it were( i.e. how many days of cold and how intense was the cold).
                            I don't keep track of fishing info like a data recorder. I am more of a big picture thinker when it comes to fishing, paying attention to trends, cycles, patterns, etc. I think some data is important, but that there are many factors that affect trends and cycles that are not necessarily able to be captured in a few data points, and trying to make everything be data driven will lead you to bad conclusions. I think this is where gut feelings and intuition come into play in fishing, and helps explain why a few fisherman are better than most.

                            I do like to be very attentive to what is happening when I am on the water, but I don't go and write things down, like in logs, after, it just goes in the ole memory bank between my ears. Thanks god my memory never fails me

                            Having said all that, the last good shad kill I remember was 4 or 5 years ago, but that may be because it has been that long since I was heavy into the trout game. Stripers are my passion now.

                            FM
                            The tug is the drug!

                            "Grow a pear!" - Groundpounder

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              "caught" a stone fly on a leaf bunch the other day... On my stone fly nymph...
                              @glennmau

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X