X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only two pieces of data I agree with here:

1) just go
    2) don't get washed away

That hooch is a water maiden that has a mind of her own, being tamed only by the likes of big t and browniez and a few other radical anglers.

My first few months fly fishing I was in search of the perfect conditions, there aren't any. They're fish. They're opportunistic feeding piscivores. I honestly believe that I get better (read as luckier) the more I fish.

Second, I've been washed, nearly to my death. Broken bone, freezing, scared to death. Don't do that, no badge in honor dying while fishing.

Footnote: graphite is a pretty good electrical conductor, so if holding a ten foot graphite electrical conductor toward the heavens during a lightning storm good luck with that Ben Franklin.

Tight lines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

As long as God is not putting on a light show, you are good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by gau16 View Post
        Getting caught in the middle of a full release can, bluntly, kill you.

Fishing after a release can mean 2 things I suppose. Yes, it depends on location.

You can fish "above" the release, meaning going behind the flow. Say if a release was at 7am, I might head up to the Dam or Settles because water will recede or be receding by the time I hit the water.

You can fish during a release by knowing your crest height timing. If a release is at 7am I know in certain places what time I need to start to head out or really be aware of my surroundings.

See this link here for recede and crest timing.

I have, and others might say so too, had some nice fish come during rising water from a release.
        ^^^^This

Location is the big determining factor if fishing the hooch once water has been released. Know where your at and how long it takes the water to get there is very important.

Comment

I've yet to catch a good one with my sunglasses on.

Comment

Originally posted by JerryG View Post
            St. Patrick’s day brown with Alex was bright and sunny and the same with the big girl I caught up towards the dam. There was another factor in common for both but rest assured the sun glasses were on.
            #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
            -Chinese Proverb

“At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.”
            -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
            -PH

Comment

I have to be in Jerry’s camp on this one. Now they’re not nearly as large as Jerry, Alex, Phil’s fish but my “bigger” fish have all come on non sunglasses days. EXCEPT the one in my avatar. But water that day was some chocolate milk.

Bottom line, I am more confident about my fish catching abilities on cloudy and dreary days.
              @glennmau

Comment

Getting caught in the middle of a full release can, bluntly, kill you.
                Always wear floatation! I'm a member of the Chattahoochee bobber club and it wasn't a fun ride.

Bottom line, I am more confident about my fish catching abilities on cloudy and dreary days.
                #1 reason for success. Believe you are going to catch fish. If not, you're just waving a stick.

Comment

I've yet to catch a good one without strange fluffy hair.

Thus the flow is in the middle stages of its return.
                  I like em big fat and sloppy.

Comment

Originally posted by browniez View Post
                    I've yet to catch a good one without strange fluffy hair.

Thus the flow is in the middle stages of its return.
                    The burl is strong with Alex after his return from the Great White North after triumphant victory!!!
                    #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
                    -Chinese Proverb

“At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.”
                    -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
                    -PH

Comment

Sounds like you guys need some sunrise silver lens. As long as it's not night time I have my shades on.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

No chat box exists to ask questions around here, so I'll attempt to ask here.

I was hoping to fish early tomorrow morning until I saw water was being released 7-8 am. Was hoping to fish around 20 Bridge.

I saw a link earlier in the thread that said it takes up to two+ hours for the water to reach and recede near that location.

Would the water be good to fish by 10 or should I wait longer? I just really wanna fish (without being swept away of course!).

Sorry to bother!

Comment

2 Hours should be good. You'll be fishing some falling water but shouldn't be a a problem.

Fishing at 20 bridge so in a boat? float? shore? or planning to wade?
                          @glennmau

Comment

Shore. I don't fly fish... yet.

We all know college students can't afford boats

Comment

You can spin fish while wading!

But since you're at the shore you'll be fine. It's not "raging" waters but it sure gets moving fast if it is a long enough release.

Never been to the 20 bridge so I cant offer advice as to how fishable it is.
                              @glennmau

Comment

I've been plenty of times, all up and down the shore on both sides. As long as the water level is okay, I should be good to go.

Does release have any effect on trout feeding? Does more food than usual flow down the river? Always something I've wondered.

Comment

Working...
                                X