Ideal weather to hit the hooch?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideal weather to hit the hooch?

I noticed it should warm up next week, and I've been pretty deprived of fishing this winter. I wouldn't mind making the most if it.

Is there any weather that you guys find ideal when looking to hit the water? I can confidently say I know extremely little about weather/temperature/etc when it comes to fishing and the hooch in particular.

Thanks.

Whenever you can and as much as you could tolerate (as far as bad weather is concerned).

If I had my picture-perfect day, I like drizzly, cloudy days for nymphing and partly cloudy day toward sunset for dry-dropping..... Don't ask me why.

I haven't been out as much as I want to this year so far. 2 outings totaling about 2.5 hrs in the water.... when I get desperate enough, I'll still go out there in 20 degree weather and call it a day after my hands freeze in an hour.
    Hi my name is Charles and I'm a fishaholic.

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith

Comment

I agree with Chachung, Go when you can and enjoy the moments.

Comment

Any weather is good, particularly the one that keeps the fairweather angler off the water! Gimme a falling barometric pressure and Im happy. Oh and falling water.
        #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
        -Chinese Proverb

At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.
        -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
        -PH

Comment

Is there any weather/occasion that should generally be avoided?

Comment

Originally posted by Lumis View Post

4th of July, 95 degrees, bluebird skies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            "I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
            -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

"Stop Whining"

Comment

Lightning, thunderstorms, blizzards, hurricanes and anytime the windchill is below 20 F. All seriousness, you are the only person that can decide if it is safe - or worth it. Lightning makes me scream like a little girl and hide under trees
              RScott

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

Comment

Agree with every post before me. Just get out. Don't get caught up in what defines a good fishing weather day and what doesn't. -You'll figure that out on your own just from experience.

Even if you're not catching, just take a deep breathe and look up from the water. Pretty cool to be standing in a trout river in a major metro area.
                @glennmau

Comment

I agree with some of the above. I usually call it when I see lightening. Torrential down pour is another since you may need to worry about rapidly rising waters.

Of course checking the dam release schedule is probably more important than a lot of other factors.
                  Hi my name is Charles and I'm a fishaholic.

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith

Comment

I tend to avoid going fishing if water is released that morning. I can't stand fishing cloudy water. Don't really seem to catch much. Though I guess it depends on how much is released.

I fished the hooch 2-3 times a week (college student) last spring/summer, and even then, it's either I catch nothing or everything. I went some mornings and couldn't get a single bite while other days would have them biting till noon.

So I guess that's a mystery I may never solve.

Comment

I tend to avoid going fishing if water is released that morning. I can't stand fishing cloudy water. Don't really seem to catch much. Though I guess it depends on how much is released.

I fished the hooch 2-3 times a week (college student) last spring/summer, and even then, it's either I catch nothing or everything. I went some mornings and couldn't get a single bite while other days would have them biting till noon.

So I guess that's a mystery I may never solve.
                      IMHO, off color water is the best time to fish. You just have to learn where the fish are. Give it time.

Comment

Agreed.

In contrast to your post, I don't like fishing clear water very much.

Big fish don't like clear water, especially with the combo of high sun.

It's all a learning experience.

If we're being literal here, obviously check release times and know when to get out if you do go during one.
                        @glennmau

Comment

How much of a difference does water release make? I know I've seen a few of you say you'll fish after a release. Does that depend solely on the location?

Comment

Originally posted by RScott View Post
                            Lightning, thunderstorms, blizzards, hurricanes and anytime the windchill is below 20 F. All seriousness, you are the only person that can decide if it is safe - or worth it. Lightning makes me scream like a little girl and hide under trees

RScott cameod in the movie 'The Great Outdoors' if you guys have never seen it before!!! The arrow points to him.
                            #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
                            -Chinese Proverb

At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.
                            -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
                            -PH

Comment

How much of a difference does water release make? I know I've seen a few of you say you'll fish after a release. Does that depend solely on the location?
                              Getting caught in the middle of a full release can, bluntly, kill you.

Fishing after a release can mean 2 things I suppose. Yes, it depends on location.

You can fish "above" the release, meaning going behind the flow. Say if a release was at 7am, I might head up to the Dam or Settles because water will recede or be receding by the time I hit the water.

You can fish during a release by knowing your crest height timing. If a release is at 7am I know in certain places what time I need to start to head out or really be aware of my surroundings.

See this link here for recede and crest timing.

I have, and others might say so too, had some nice fish come during rising water from a release.
                              @glennmau

Comment

Working...
                              X