No announcement yet.

Government Shutdown - Impacts on Chattahoochee

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish I could set my own salary and not work when things aren't going the way I want them to. I paid for the parks. I'll use them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
    -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

"Stop Whining"

Comment

At Cochran Shoals yesterday, the bathrooms were locked with a "closed until further notice" sign on them. Other than that, seemed to be a normal day.

So far, it's better than when it happened October 2013 when the feds had armed guards to keep us from using the park that typically requires minimal daily maintenance to operate. I'd guess 1 or 2 armed guards at each park entrance to prevent citizens from using the park likely costs more money to have a normal employee perform general maintenance and collect the parking fees.

Comment

Originally posted by mlewis View Post
        At Cochran Shoals yesterday, the bathrooms were locked with a "closed until further notice" sign on them. Other than that, seemed to be a normal day.

So far, it's better than when it happened October 2013 when the feds had armed guards to keep us from using the park that typically requires minimal daily maintenance to operate. I'd guess 1 or 2 armed guards at each park entrance to prevent citizens from using the park likely costs more money to have a normal employee perform general maintenance and collect the parking fees.
        Yes, it was a petulant show by those in charge at that time to play politics with people's vacations.
        -skunked

Warning: all posts should be assumed to contain sarcasm and misinformation unless stated otherwise. The opinions shared are not necessarily those of the poster.

Comment

Jones Bridge

Did anyone figure out if Jones Bridge was closed on the Gwinnett side? I donít see why it would be since itís a county park, although the Buford releases essentially shut down fishing for most of the day anyway. As a side note, I was there last Friday and I arrived as the stocking truck was pulling out. The ramp was snow covered and there were no new tracks so I guess his stocking was thwarted.

Comment

Iím with you there. I have to imagine itís open. Like you said, county park.
            @glennmau

Comment

I called the county and the park is in fact open. Now if it was only fishable.

Comment

Originally posted by yaker View Post
                I called the county and the park is in fact open. Now if it was only fishable.
                Was there a release this morning?/where are you getting flow info?

River flow site is down because of shutdown..
                @glennmau

Comment

Buford dam recording said they were starting up for an hour at seven. The gauge confirmed that release which Iím thinking will get to Jones Bridge by 12:30.

Comment

Originally posted by gau16 View Post
                    Was there a release this morning?/where are you getting flow info?

River flow site is down because of shutdown..
                    Gauges and the dam release schedule are up and have been all weekend.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/ga/nwis/u...ate=2014-09-12

http://spatialdata.sam.usace.army.mi...r/default.aspx

So is riverflows.net

Today a 50 MW release at 7:00AM. Whether this afternoon is fishable at JB is a personal decision as it will be rising waters for most of the afternoon.

Comment

thanks UF.

I was trying to get to those guages via the NPS site...

Thanks for the direct link.
                      @glennmau

Comment

Fished Paces Sunday. Restrooms locked, parking machine off. Too bad they didn't stock. Water was low and clear. Didn't see anything. gave up, should have gone to Smiths or Amicaloa.

BTW, Smiths was awesome last week. Caught my first brook ever in GA. and a big rainbow and lots of smaller fish. Parking lot was full even though the high temp was 35.

Comment

Nope. JB is closed indefinitely and is not accessible, for now and for the foreseeable future... IF is going off though...
                          minimumexposure on IG

Comment

Originally posted by vancheesey View Post
                            Nope. JB is closed indefinitely and is not accessible, for now and for the foreseeable future... IF is going off though...
                            Referring to Fulton side I am assuming?

Yaker called and confirmed with Gwinnette county that their side is open.
                            @glennmau

Comment

Nope, JB is closed on all sides. The fish, who are officially federal employees, were instructed to stay deepl and hidden. No fishing to be had.
                              minimumexposure on IG

Comment

It was pretty brutal at JB yesterday...way to many people and the water was too clear. Got 1 bite the whole day until the release finally arrived later than expected. It got somewhat better but unfortunately my toes started getting tingly.
                                We are the music-makers,
                                And we are the dreamers of dreams,
                                Wandering by lone sea-breakers
                                And sitting by desolate streams;
                                World losers and world forsakers,
                                On whom the pale moon gleams.

Comment

Working...
                                X