Government Shutdown - Impacts on Chattahoochee

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Government Shutdown - Impacts on Chattahoochee

Not much specific information out there yet. The Park Service has a generic plan you can read at:

http://apps.washingtonpost.com/g/doc...ncy-plan/2714/

I contacted the COE and they may close areas on Monday which could impact access to the Lower Pool.

Hopefully they will post something on their facebook pages.
    https://www.facebook.com/CRNRA/
    https://www.facebook.com/LakeSidneyLanierUSACE/

Thanks for posting natureman! Was wondering how this would impact our local areas. Guess we should stay tuned to this thread for future changes!
    #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
    -Chinese Proverb

ďAt sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.Ē
    -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
    -PH

Comment

I'm hopeful it won't have much impact, that public land will remain open even though they send non-essential personnel home.
      The first thing scripture tells us about man is that we're made in the image of God. The second thing it says is that man should have dominion over the fishes of the sea.

The right flies at the right time: Monthly Fly

Comment

I hate that the crew that keeps the Paces Mill parking lot looking so wonderful will not be able to do their thing.
        Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
        Simple Goat Herder
        Former NGTO President
        Hall of Fame Member

Comment

Remembering back to the shut down several years ago and all of the parks being shut down along the Chattahoochee.Then I thought... I’ll just go to Settles, there isn’t a gate there. And when I arrived with my kayak I found that they had bulldozed a couple of big boulders across the road to keep people out. All the trouble they went to to make a show of the government shut down and to just **** people off to make their point.

This has me thinking out loud with this current proposed shut down. If we have paid for a years pass to enter a park and now they are limiting what we have already paid, should we be due a refund on our advanced payment of parks use? I know this is splitting hairs in the big scheme of things but something to vent about. And after all, the people’s tax dollars pay for the parks to begin with.

Comment

JB has been closed and is not accessible
            minimumexposure on IG

Comment

Originally posted by vancheesey View Post
              JB has been closed and is not accessible
              Is Gwinnette side accessible? Not a National Park.
              @glennmau

Comment

Originally posted by groundpounder View Post
                Remembering back to the shut down several years ago and all of the parks being shut down along the Chattahoochee.Then I thought... Iíll just go to Settles, there isnít a gate there. And when I arrived with my kayak I found that they had bulldozed a couple of big boulders across the road to keep people out. All the trouble they went to to make a show of the government shut down and to just **** people off to make their point.

This has me thinking out loud with this current proposed shut down. If we have paid for a years pass to enter a park and now they are limiting what we have already paid, should we be due a refund on our advanced payment of parks use? I know this is splitting hairs in the big scheme of things but something to vent about. And after all, the peopleís tax dollars pay for the parks to begin with.
                Wouldn't that be like asking for a refund due to a "rain or shine" type of payment?

Or like when Lower Pool Park is closed for hunting?

I guess what I am trying to say is you're paying a flat fee for unlimited daily access. How would a refund calculation be made?

Not trying to defend the Gov't in this situation but just thinking out loud, too.
                @glennmau

Comment

I personally don't actually know if LPP is a NP, so I could be wrong on that.

Just spitballin' here.
                  @glennmau

Comment

Originally posted by gau16 View Post
                    I personally don't actually know if LPP is a NP, so I could be wrong on that.

Just spitballin' here.
                    The Lower Pool Park and access road is operated by the Corps of Engineers. There is a common boundary that the COE shares with NPS at Haw Creek and extending across the river to the Gwinnett side. The small parking lot next to the Haw Creek foot bridge is NPS and the COE maintains it.

Since we are speculating I will put in my 2 cents since I worked there for 30 years (now retired) and went thru several federal shut-downs. In the past the COE scales back its operation to a bare minimum. Reduced staffing resulted in the parks adjacent to the Buford Powerhouse and Dam being closed due to security concerns and a reduction in emergency response capability to river incidents. Select staff would remain on duty to carry out critical mission essential duties.

Screenshot-2018-1-21 Data gov by Natureman29, on Flickr
                    Last edited by natureman; 01-22-18, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Furlough the ***** congressmen.

Sickening.

Comment

Originally posted by gau16 View Post
                        Is Gwinnette side accessible? Not a National Park.
                        Iím thinking he was referring to the Gwinnett side. I was on the Fulton side this morning picking up trash.

This is all very interesting news. I intentionally stay out of touch with reality, I mean politics Iíll be interested to see how it all plays out.
                        Fly tying instagram @erikclymore

Comment

Originally posted by groundpounder View Post
                          Remembering back to the shut down several years ago and all of the parks being shut down along the Chattahoochee.Then I thought... Iíll just go to Settles, there isnít a gate there. And when I arrived with my kayak I found that they had bulldozed a couple of big boulders across the road to keep people out. All the trouble they went to to make a show of the government shut down and to just **** people off to make their point.

This has me thinking out loud with this current proposed shut down. If we have paid for a years pass to enter a park and now they are limiting what we have already paid, should we be due a refund on our advanced payment of parks use? I know this is splitting hairs in the big scheme of things but something to vent about. And after all, the peopleís tax dollars pay for the parks to begin with.
                          Well the good thing about the shutdown is...we can all go out and march and rally for non-existent causes and illegal citizens while millions of government employees are furloughed without pay and military personal (many of whom rely on their paychecks to get by) will have to wait to get paid.
                          We are the music-makers,
                          And we are the dreamers of dreams,
                          Wandering by lone sea-breakers
                          And sitting by desolate streams;
                          World losers and world forsakers,
                          On whom the pale moon gleams.

Comment

Originally posted by GoutUnlimited View Post
                            Well the good thing about the shutdown is...we can all go out and march and rally for non-existent causes and illegal citizens while millions of government employees are furloughed without pay and military personal (many of whom rely on their paychecks to get by) will have to wait to get paid.
                            We are truly living in Bizzaro World.

Comment

Both Medlock and Abbottís were open today. @Groundpounder you make a helluva point. We the tax paying citizens should get a refund but I do not know how that would work.
                              #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
                              -Chinese Proverb

ďAt sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.Ē
                              -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
                              -PH

Comment

Working...
                              X