No announcement yet.

Catching and releasing and catching and releasing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Lumis - What Jerry is doing here is using a larger streamer fly. What you are thinking of is smaller nymph flies.

For you to use flies with spinning gear you have to add weight somehow because in spin fishing or bait cast fishing the weight of the lure is what pulls line out on a cast. In fly fishing, the fly line is weighted and that is what powers the lure to its target.

You could use flies with spin gear, just add split shot to your line. About 12 to 16 inches up from the fly. You'll have to experiment but you want to add just enough split shot to tick the bottom. You'll get snagged, we all do. But it shouldn't happen every cast.

Also will want to use smaller diameter line. Maybe 4lb or even 2lb to be able to tie on small flies.

Play around with it, see what happens and let us know!
    @glennmau

Comment

Whatís cool is seeing how he darkened himself compared to the previous time you caught him.
      #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
      -Chinese Proverb

ďAt sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.Ē
      -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
      -PH

Comment

Sounds good, I'll have to try it out. I don't use anything heavier than 4lb line so I should be set. Hopefully the splitshot doesn't deter the fish. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Congrats Jerry! Yesterday was just too perfect not to bag a beast!
          Iím pretty sure I wouldíve gotten him first had my 8wt not snapped in half.
          Fly tying instagram @erikclymore

Comment

Originally posted by Lumis View Post
            Sounds good, I'll have to try it out. I don't use anything heavier than 4lb line so I should be set. Hopefully the splitshot doesn't deter the fish. Thanks for the help.
            It shouldn't. I started fishing the hooch a couple years ago with spin gear. Same way as I explained but with small plastic worms. Small split shot about 16-18 inches up the line. It should drift naturally and bounce along the bottom. Same areas where one would fish with a fly rod.

Originally posted by erikclymore View Post
            Congrats Jerry! Yesterday was just too perfect not to bag a beast!
            Iím pretty sure I wouldíve gotten him first had my 8wt not snapped in half.
            Oh dang man how did that happen?
            @glennmau

Comment

I was out with Browniez. I got hung up on a log and tried to snatch the fly out instead of just motoring over to get it. The rod just snapped on me. It was partly on my laziness, but it’s not like I had the thing doubled over or anything.
              Fly tying instagram @erikclymore

Comment

Bummer man. Hope the rod maker can fix?
                @glennmau

Comment

Nice catch (again) Jerry. Itís pretty cool when you catch the same fish a few months apart. I did it this past fall (Aug and again in Nov), although not nearly as memorable as one your size

Comment

Nice brown, OP. Thanks for releasing to fight another day.

Comment

Lumis- I use sliding weights or split shot, or both. I found a cool thread on here from like 10 years ago where guys were Carolina rigging soft plastics, nymphing with ultra lights&casting bubbles etc. Lots of ways to explore the water column and catch fish, you're only limited by your imagination.

MBailey- Nice, man. I remember that thread. Did it eat the same thing both times? Same area?

KBrunson- You know it

Comment

Originally posted by JerryG View Post
                        Lumis- I use sliding weights or split shot, or both. I found a cool thread on here from like 10 years ago where guys were Carolina rigging soft plastics, nymphing with ultra lights&casting bubbles etc. Lots of ways to explore the water column and catch fish, you're only limited by your imagination.

MBailey- Nice, man. I remember that thread. Did it eat the same thing both times? Same area?

KBrunson- You know it
                        Same area, maybe 50 yards apart. First time was on a size 18 red zebra midge and second time was a size 8 stonefly pattern

Comment

Nice fish.. Treat them Well.
                          Time's a Place by a Peaceful Stream
                          Www.thefieldandfly.com

Comment

C&R works! Nice job.

Comment

Working...
                            X