Catching and releasing and catching and releasing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catching and releasing and catching and releasing

Covered somewhere around 4 miles of river yesterday, hammering every bit of structure and water swirl. A buddy of mine fished with me until 10, then had to leave. I decided to stay and enjoy the cloud cover and falling water, and really by that point just looking for a skunkbuster.

We had been hucking a variety of jerk baits and swim baits all morning, so after anchoring for a snack and a mental regrouping, I decided to go the finesse route and downsize my offering to a mini dungeon streamer. I managed to pick up a rainbow, a smaller yet healthy and bright yellow brown, then with all details eerily similar, busted the same big brown I fooled back in September.

The solo camera thing is sorta tricky and rushed, and being in a hurry to get some shots and set him free again, I didn't even notice until I got home and started comparing the spots. I found the overall darkening as well as the whitening of the halos pretty cool.

Thought some of you would find interesting no only the C&R success, but also site fidelity and diet, as the fish was in the same log jam he was 4 months ago with the same cannibalistic hunger for his own.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

And yes, those are my lucky fishing pants

Comment

So killer in every respect my friend.

I thought I saw that fish cruising that logjam early before the push. Glad you got him.

We did all agree one of us was gonna bag one this weekend. Phil called that shot first I believe.
      I like em big fat and sloppy.

Comment

Wow, that is a beauty! Well done Sir!
        Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
        Simple Goat Herder
        Former NGTO President
        Hall of Fame Member

Comment

Dude nice work. So what is his name gonna be?

Comment

Originally posted by Jakkbauer View Post
            Dude nice work. So what is his name gonna be?
            All the men just call him "Sir"

Comment

Fish like these are the reason I want to learn to fly fish. Beautiful fish!

Comment

Originally posted by Lumis View Post
                Fish like these are the reason I want to learn to fly fish. Beautiful fish!

I would probably encourage you to try any tactic to see what works best for you, as long as you are having fun and staying within the rules and regs.

I personally like to add weight to my streamers, and throw them on the lighter of my 2 spinning rods which is a medium /fast action. The weight gets the rig deep quick and lets me whip it all the way to the bank from mid river. Also, for me, in a boat, I can hit alot more essentially moving targets with spin gear and cover more water.

Comment

Originally posted by JerryG View Post
                  And yes, those are my lucky fishing pants
                  But that bubblegoose tho.
                  We are the music-makers,
                  And we are the dreamers of dreams,
                  Wandering by lone sea-breakers
                  And sitting by desolate streams;
                  World losers and world forsakers,
                  On whom the pale moon gleams.

Comment

Did you two just become best friends??
                    @glennmau

Comment

Awesome fish.
                      Cool story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JerryG View Post
                        I would probably encourage you to try any tactic to see what works best for you, as long as you are having fun and staying within the rules and regs.

I personally like to add weight to my streamers, and throw them on the lighter of my 2 spinning rods which is a medium /fast action. The weight gets the rig deep quick and lets me whip it all the way to the bank from mid river. Also, for me, in a boat, I can hit alot more essentially moving targets with spin gear and cover more water.
                        I usually fish with a ultralight 5 foot rod. Sometimes i pull out the 6 foot. Do you simply attach the fly to the line and add a weight? (like powerbait I guess?) How far up is the weight added? I've always been interested in the idea.

Only problem I'd have is rocks, assuming the weight brings it to the bottom. I catch many more rocks than fish Spinners tend to solve that problem.

Comment

Did you get a tape, wonder if itís got any bigger?
                          We are the music-makers,
                          And we are the dreamers of dreams,
                          Wandering by lone sea-breakers
                          And sitting by desolate streams;
                          World losers and world forsakers,
                          On whom the pale moon gleams.

Comment

@Lumis - You can rig them just like you'd rig a soft plastic for bass fishing.

@Gout - I didnt measure him either time but it would have been interesting to see.

Comment

I know absolutely nothing about bass fishing. Googling it seems to bring up a hundred different ways to do it

Comment

Working...
                              X