http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/images/ngto/banners/FernValleyBanner_2014.gif
http://georgia-outdoors.com/images/ngto/banners/2012NovNGTOBanner.gif

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why has the Chattahoochee DH so dissapointing?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Philhutch80 View Post
    Dang good question. Still though until the silting in issue can start to be resolved it is kind of a moot point because if the trout go, what will the striper feed upon? Plus shoalies just look dang cool!
    I agree that I'm not sure we would have a resident population throughout the year without the snacks being dumped into the water in the winter.

The fish are still there at that time because there is still a food source worth staying for. Take that away and they will simply leave and come back to spawn.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Shoalies are being stocked again below Morgan Falls.

It might be time to just realize the habitat has changed below Morgan Falls and is no longer favorable to trout and the quality of fishing may decline as a result.

Comment

I like the idea of an upper (above MF) tail water being a great trout fishery and then the lower being more "natural". Shoals, stripers, etc.

A more diverse hooch seems really cool.
        @glennmau

Comment

This might be controversial but the state might actually be "wasting" trout by stocking them below Morgan Falls anymore.

Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by gau16 View Post
            I like the idea of an upper (above MF) tail water being a great trout fishery and then the lower being more "natural". Shoals, stripers, etc.

A more diverse hooch seems really cool.
            Plus 1 on this - still looking for my first bass on the fly

Comment

I think there is some sort of uniformed misunderstandings going on:

1. Stripers are stocked, in abundance, much further downstream. The genetics are actually native to the drainage system. There is some debatable successful spawning. Hybrids are also stocked and are considered to be sterile.

2. Shoalies are native and spawn in the river in the DH section, among other places. The DNR has performed numerous supplemental stockings to maintain the population.

3. Trout below Morgan Falls do not have a sustainable population and are widely accepted to not survive the summer. They are stocked as a novelty (IMO) in the Nov 1 - May 15 dates to improve angler interest and accessibility to keep up some interest in the sport as well as some positive economic benefits such as licenses sales and fishing gear sales.

4. There is no striper "magic" in this river. Much like probably 15 other rivers in the state, many fish swim some distance upstream from lakes.

Comment

Originally posted by mlewis View Post

4. There is no striper "magic" in this river. Much like probably 15 other rivers in the state, many fish swim some distance upstream from lakes.
                This is true. They do come up to spawn but the eggs don't make it in the flows.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by trout1980 View Post
                  This might be controversial but the state might actually be "wasting" trout by stocking them below Morgan Falls anymore.

Thoughts?
                  -skunked

Warning: all posts should be assumed to contain sarcasm and misinformation unless stated otherwise. The opinions shared are not necessarily those of the poster.

Comment

You dont catch many pure shoalies down there. You catch Alabama bass (what people think is a spot) X Kentucky bass (actually a spot) X Shoalie X Smallmouth mishmash hybrid mostly.

It's a Petri dish cesspool of genetic drift and hybridization.

Sad what damming and trout did to the Shoalie.

I'm actually of the opinion nowadays that they are a superior gamefish to browns.
                    I like em big fat and sloppy.

Comment

Originally posted by browniez View Post
                      You dont catch many pure shoalies down there. You catch Alabama bass (what people think is a spot) X Kentucky bass (actually a spot) X Shoalie X Smallmouth mishmash hybrid mostly.

It's a Petri dish cesspool of genetic drift and hybridization.

Sad what damming and trout did to the Shoalie.

I'm actually of the opinion nowadays that they are a superior gamefish to browns.
                      For sure. Unless you catch a dnr stocked shoalie in the hooch, you are getting one with its own unique genetic thumbprint. I am very fond of the shoalie in the hooch and flint, and I intent to visit the upper hooch to chase some one day. I have caught some pretty spectacularly colored up ones from the DH in the last few years, although not likely either genetically pure or of the thorphy size such as in the flint.

Comment

Originally posted by I_got_skunked View Post
                        I’m serious. Would not stocking those fish above Bull Sluice
                        be a better use of resources and fish were they can survive
                        year around with the better habitat and leaving the other tail water to black bass

Comment

Originally posted by mlewis View Post
                          For sure. Unless you catch a dnr stocked shoalie in the hooch, you are getting one with its own unique genetic thumbprint. I am very fond of the shoalie in the hooch and flint, and I intent to visit the upper hooch to chase some one day. I have caught some pretty spectacularly colored up ones from the DH in the last few years, although not likely either genetically pure or of the thorphy size such as in the flint.
                          Man do it on the upper hooch!!!

That's where they ruined me.
                          I like em big fat and sloppy.

Comment

Originally posted by djangofly View Post
                            Plus 1 on this - still looking for my first bass on the fly
                            Hit up Charlie Elliott WMA!
                            @glennmau

Comment

Hoping for a summer of multi species on the fly..

But really why not just play the hand being delt. Water below MF is better off for shoals, stripers etc. so let them thrive. One day you can chase Browns on the upper and the next stripers on the lower.
                              @glennmau

Comment

Has a tagging study ever been done on the DH fish to find out what happens to them?

Comment

Working...
                                X