http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/images/ngto/banners/FernValleyBanner_2014.gif
http://georgia-outdoors.com/images/ngto/banners/2012NovNGTOBanner.gif

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why has the Chattahoochee DH so dissapointing?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trout1980 View Post
    Has a tagging study ever been done on the DH fish to find out what happens to them?
    That would be a grand waste of time and money. They are put there to die.

This has been an interesting thread. I do remember the early days of the DH being glorious! 20+ fish days happened often and just about any run that looked like would hold fish had fish in it. I have no idea if it is the cause of the Hooch DH not fishing like it use to, but I do agree that things changed after the big flood.
    Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
    Simple Goat Herder
    Former NGTO President
    Hall of Fame Member

Comment

I’m serious. Would not stocking those fish above Bull Sluice
      be a better use of resources and fish were they can survive
      year around with the better habitat and leaving the other tail water to black bass
      Perhaps. Alternately, would above Morgan falls be better as a pure wild brown fishery. In other words, is the existing stocking that occurs there a net positive when accounting for the stocked fish competing with wild trout for food, potential for disease introduction, costs associated with stocking, etc. I've been insulted too many times for questioning whether there are better uses for the state resources than our current structure. Status quo or bust!
      -skunked

Warning: all posts should be assumed to contain sarcasm and misinformation unless stated otherwise. The opinions shared are not necessarily those of the poster.

Comment

Originally posted by I_got_skunked View Post
        Perhaps. Alternately, would above Morgan falls be better as a pure wild brown fishery. In other words, is the existing stocking that occurs there a net positive when accounting for the stocked fish competing with wild trout for food, potential for disease introduction, costs associated with stocking, etc. I've been insulted too many times for questioning whether there are better uses for the state resources than our current structure. Status quo or bust!
        If you quit stocking rainbows in the tailwater I think you remove the realistic chance of a three foot brown coming out.

There is a three foot brown in that river, probably a couple.
        I like em big fat and sloppy.

Comment

Originally posted by browniez View Post
          If you quit stocking rainbows in the tailwater I think you remove the realistic chance of a three foot brown coming out.

Godzilla lives... but can we catch him???
          #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
          -Chinese Proverb

“At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.”
          -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
          -PH

Comment

Originally posted by browniez View Post

That is true, the stockings do provide candy for the real big boys.
            -skunked

Warning: all posts should be assumed to contain sarcasm and misinformation unless stated otherwise. The opinions shared are not necessarily those of the poster.

Comment

Spoke with a few fisheries folks yesterday. From what I gathered, the biggest contributing factor to the DH being so disappointing this year is lack of water being generated from Lanier after Atlanta declared it will decide what to do with its water in the past few years.

Why don’t they just stock above Morgan Falls and stop wasting fish in the DH? I’ll admit this was my mindset for a long time. Then I thought why is there a DH in that area? It hasn’t been around forever, since 2000 only. Probably around the time when the decline in trout populations became obviously noticeable?

We’ve got some great folks in wildlife resources but they’re not magicians. They’re doing the best they can with what they’ve got to work with which isn’t a whole lot. Sure we can’t put more fish in the DH but until a long term solution is found this will be an ongoing issue with some years fishing well and others not so.

Atlanta is growing. You got an influx of west coast unholywood folks, Katrina folks, immigrants, Phillystines from the NE and even people from FL. I wouldn’t be opposed if some horrendous biological epidemic from the CDC.....sorry. Florida hasn’t been making a strong case against our hoarding practices but seems there may be optomistic outcomes based on some of the murmurs.

You got to remember we’re dealing with self serving beurocratics who all have a stake in varying interests and I don’t think a once thriving trout population is high on that list.
              We are the music-makers,
              And we are the dreamers of dreams,
              Wandering by lone sea-breakers
              And sitting by desolate streams;
              World losers and world forsakers,
              On whom the pale moon gleams.

Comment

Originally posted by I_got_skunked View Post
                Good points and discussion

Comment

It just seems better to manage the MF tailwater for fish that can survive year around and focus the trout resources in the LL tailwater.

Comment

I’m with that trout. ^^^^
                    @glennmau

Comment

It just seems better to manage the MF tailwater for fish that can survive year around and focus the trout resources in the LL tailwater.
                      I thought about this also but what’s going to happen is we’ll start seeing more bank fishermen that will undoubtedly affect fall and winter fishing for the rest of us who enjoy the solitary and challenges of fishing during the more brutal weather months. Following the Christmas stocking this was definetly the case at JB.

Brown catch rates will decline with a bigger human presence as they become more elsusive and as they are being plucked out in bigger numbers when they become less careful during pre and post spawn feeding periods.
                      We are the music-makers,
                      And we are the dreamers of dreams,
                      Wandering by lone sea-breakers
                      And sitting by desolate streams;
                      World losers and world forsakers,
                      On whom the pale moon gleams.

Comment

Originally posted by GoutUnlimited View Post
                        I thought about this also but what’s going to happen is we’ll start seeing more bank fishermen that will undoubtedly affect fall and winter fishing for the rest of us who enjoy the solitary and challenges of fishing during the more brutal weather months. Following the Christmas stocking this was definetly the case at JB.

Brown catch rates will decline with a bigger human presence as they become more elsusive and as they are being plucked out in bigger numbers when they become less careful during pre and post spawn feeding periods.

Don't forget if Georgia wins the Supreme Court ruling there won't be any more water coming down from the dam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        "I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
                        -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

"Stop Whining"

Comment

Originally posted by troutbum69 View Post
                          Don't forget if Georgia wins the Supreme Court ruling there won't be any more water coming down from the dam.

Um, what?
                          They will shut off the penning and allow the hooch to dry up?
                          Or no more releases?
                          Doesn't there have to be some minimal flow?
                          What's the case?
                          I feel ignorant about this.

Comment

How is stocking some trout during the winter for limited c&r keeping folks from fishing the upper river?

All the pressure is now below MF?

Comment

Originally posted by splatek16 View Post
                              Um, what?
                              They will shut off the penning and allow the hooch to dry up?
                              Or no more releases?
                              Doesn't there have to be some minimal flow?
                              What's the case?
                              I feel ignorant about this.

Maybe this?

https://www.pri.org/stories/2018-01-...ght-over-water

Comment

Haven't followed this closely, but I think one of the defenses to the Georgia/Florida water dispute was failure to add a necessary/indispensable party - that party was the corp of engineers/the federal government. I believe the special master "ruled" in favor of georgia because there was insufficient evidence to show that a restriction on GA water use would result in improved conditions for the oyster fishery in the gulf...just going from memory here so don't quote me on that.

Comment

Working...
                                X