http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/images/ngto/banners/FernValleyBanner_2014.gif
http://georgia-outdoors.com/images/ngto/banners/2012NovNGTOBanner.gif

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why has the Chattahoochee DH so dissapointing?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by browniez View Post
    Tenkara only!
    Theres a thought.

    Originally posted by splatek16 View Post
    Wow, under estimate of tyre year on my part.
    And what weepy m would ff only do


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Looks like Splatek agrees, hes already embracing the idea with introspective Haikus.
    We are the music-makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams,
    Wandering by lone sea-breakers
    And sitting by desolate streams;
    World losers and world forsakers,
    On whom the pale moon gleams.

    Comment


    • So dredging Bull Sluice would restore year round cold water in the MF tailwater?

      Comment


      • Originally posted by trout1980 View Post
        So dredging Bull Sluice would restore year round cold water in the MF tailwater?
        That is a great question that nobody can truly answer at this time. Another good question is who is willing to invest to find out?
        #JBNavy

        "Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
        -Chinese Proverb

        “At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.”
        -Norman Maclean

        "We are what we hunt."
        -PH

        Comment


        • Originally posted by trout1980 View Post
          So dredging Bull Sluice would restore year round cold water in the MF tailwater?
          I think the answer is "no". Now, Bull Sluice Lake is essentially a pass thru of water coming down from Buford. If the lake was dredged to be a lake again, it would be able to hold water, which would give it time to warm, in my opinion.

          FM
          The tug is the drug!

          "Grow a pear!" - Groundpounder

          Comment


          • Originally posted by fishmonger View Post
            I think the answer is "no". Now, Bull Sluice Lake is essentially a pass thru of water coming down from Buford. If the lake was dredged to be a lake again, it would be able to hold water, which would give it time to warm, in my opinion.

            FM
            So, in your opinion, what has led to the decline of the trout fishery below mf dam if not for siltation warming the water and reducing aquatic plant growth?
            -skunked

            Warning: all posts should be assumed to contain sarcasm and misinformation unless stated otherwise. The opinions shared are not necessarily those of the poster.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by I_got_skunked View Post
              So, in your opinion, what has led to the decline of the trout fishery below mf dam if not for siltation warming the water and reducing aquatic plant growth?
              Probably siltation and warmer water. But, siltation is its own problem, with its smothering effect, not just as a vehicle for warming water. And I think a lot of the warmer water is due to a lot less sustained releases from Buford in recent years, not just from siltation induced warming in Bull Sluice. That lack of releases adds to both the warmer water (less cold water coming down) and siltation (no high flows to blow out silt or keep it moving) issues, which is a feedback loop on itself, and so has caused drastic changes in a relatively short time.

              These are the reasons I hope GA loses the Water Wars, to some extent, and has to keep up a higher minimum flow leaving Buford.

              FM
              The tug is the drug!

              "Grow a pear!" - Groundpounder

              Comment


              • Twenty page thread, the goal is,
                D.H. dies slowly
                Oh, Keyboard keys are typing
                I like em big fat and sloppy.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by browniez View Post
                  Twenty page thread, the goal is,
                  D.H. dies slowly
                  Oh, Keyboard keys are typing
                  Surely no-one is still using a computer during personal time.
                  -skunked

                  Warning: all posts should be assumed to contain sarcasm and misinformation unless stated otherwise. The opinions shared are not necessarily those of the poster.

                  Comment


                  • http://www.itinerantangler.com/blog/...gan-falls-dam/

                    This thread reminds me of this article.
                    key points that stand out:
                    that bull sluice is at its hydrological equilibrium (has been since the 50's)
                    It would have to dredged again in 30 or 40 years

                    I remember from a few years back threads joking about how you could predict that it was going to rain for the next month based upon the fact that the DH season was upon us.
                    "The quintessence of learning is doing"-Mel Krieger

                    Comment


                    • DH gets stocked, this thread is dead? I was enjoying it quite a bit 🤔

                      Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by EN 787 View Post
                        http://www.itinerantangler.com/blog/...gan-falls-dam/

                        This thread reminds me of this article.
                        key points that stand out:
                        that bull sluice is at its hydrological equilibrium (has been since the 50's)
                        It would have to dredged again in 30 or 40 years

                        I remember from a few years back threads joking about how you could predict that it was going to rain for the next month based upon the fact that the DH season was upon us.
                        I have read that article a number of times. The key point that sticks out which makes me question the viability of the study that Georgia Power did in 07 is they do make it sound like it was an internal study rather than an external unbiased third party. Does anyone know whether this was the case or not?
                        #JBNavy

                        "Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
                        -Chinese Proverb

                        “At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.”
                        -Norman Maclean

                        "We are what we hunt."
                        -PH

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Jakkbauer View Post
                          DH gets stocked, this thread is dead? I was enjoying it quite a bit 🤔

                          Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                          With how blown out it is right now, I wouldn't be surprised to hear some reports from six flags.
                          -skunked

                          Warning: all posts should be assumed to contain sarcasm and misinformation unless stated otherwise. The opinions shared are not necessarily those of the poster.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Philhutch80 View Post
                            I have read that article a number of times. The key point that sticks out which makes me question the viability of the study that Georgia Power did in 07 is they do make it sound like it was an internal study rather than an external unbiased third party. Does anyone know whether this was the case or not?
                            I fish Bull Sluice quite a bit and have had several mornings where its been bone dry (especially this past summer) even when there was a late night release from Buford dam so I defiantly believe their current water capacity claims. The only reason why I would question the validity of the study was if Georgia Power was on the hook for paying the 140 million dollars, but I don't know if that's the case since the lake is still part of the national recreational area.
                            "The quintessence of learning is doing"-Mel Krieger

                            Comment


                            • From the study: "that bull sluice is at its hydrological equilibrium (has been since the 50's)".

                              I don't believe that for a second.

                              It is pretty common knowledge that Bull Sluice used to be a lot different than it is now, with a lot more deep water (and associated storage), and in fact used to support a very good bass and yellow perch fishery. I believe I have seen it change since I started spending a lot of time below MF in 2007.

                              FM
                              The tug is the drug!

                              "Grow a pear!" - Groundpounder

                              Comment


                              • I don't think its just bull sluice that is the problem. It seems like the further upriver you go from the Jumping Rock on bull sluice the worse the silt is. Just looking at satellite images (mapquest is more clear than google maps) you can see there's more silt along Wileo to Azalea/Riverside Drive. Heck even look at shoals below the island at IF and you can see that a lot of silt has settle in the eddies and on the backside of the island.
                                "The quintessence of learning is doing"-Mel Krieger

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X