Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first attempt at fly fishing the Hooch.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fishnpreacher View Post
    I've been told that my casting looks like an old lady fighting a swarm of bees with a broomstick.
    All fishermen are liars except you and I...and I’m not so sure about you.

Comment

Splatek16 and Sighter, and others, have given you some really good advice.

Originally posted by ChaChung View Post
      The mistake i made was that I tried to learn everything inn my own. Stick with someone who had been doing it for a little while and you will learn it faster.
      Originally posted by NetBoy View Post
      TU has a bbq next Sunday at Paces Mill and they'll have casting lessons.
      And what ChaChung and NetBoy say is true to the nth degree. If you can hook up with someone who's proficient at fishing and catching fish, you'll learn a lot faster. Consider checking out your local Trout Unlimited chapter's next meeting for tips and new friends (read: free fishing guide).
      I'm so old I remember when men wore tattoos and women wore earrings.
      -Lefty Kreh

Comment

Originally posted by fishnpreacher View Post
        I've been told that my casting looks like an old lady fighting a swarm of bees with a broomstick.
        I have seen people who could barely hit the water with a fly catch fish.
        Want to hear God laugh? Tell Him your plans.

Comment

My first attempt at fly fishing the Hooch.

Originally posted by Lumis View Post
          So I've learned my lesson. I'll be looking for someone to teach me to cast. I'm not the fishing god I thought myself to be.
          Lumis , the GWFF are hosting a beginner's clinic in April at Paces Mill. A good learning opportunity.

http://www.georgiawomenflyfishing.com/classes
          Last edited by Trout8myfly; 02-16-18, 09:51 AM.

Comment

I don't think you are 15 or under but just in case and if others are reading, the UCCTU Sam Rizzio Fly Fishing & Conservation Clinic is coming up April 28th.

https://ucctu.tu.org/2018-rizzio-fly...t-time-for-all
            If this were rocket science most of us wouldn't be doing it. - Terry Creech

Comment

I'm living proof that fish don't care much how your cast looks. If it's a bluebird day - they will. Biggest thing I first lined was not to line them with a big splash or ripping line out of the water.

It will come in time. It's a sport that has you throwing an object in two directions one back and the other forward. It takes time to develop the muscle memory. It will become second nature to you with time and experience.

"Not every Soldier is a Joe"

You can support the NGTO Mission Statement and Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes. Buy a TU License Plate!

Comment

I technically hooked a rainbow today. Reeled him in to the shore. Didn't have a net. He did a little bit of a splishy splash and came off as I was reaching for him.

You could say I had a quick release, but if I didn't touch him, it doesn't count

Week one of fly-fishing has landed no fish. The future looks bright however.

Comment

I technically hooked a rainbow today. Reeled him in to the shore. Didn't have a net. He did a little bit of a splishy splash and came off as I was reaching for him.

You could say I had a quick release, but if I didn't touch him, it doesn't count

That fish counts man. Quick release is real Get a net and learn to keep it in the ready!

Comment

Did you touch the leader? If so, it counts. I've seen some silly long leaders in billfish tourneys for this exact reason.
                    -skunked

Warning: all posts should be assumed to contain sarcasm and misinformation unless stated otherwise. The opinions shared are not necessarily those of the poster.

Comment

I know what you mean. The first fish I ever caught on the fly rod was on accident. I was dragging my midge in the water as I was walking up stream and a brown came and hooked himself.
                      I did end up netting him, but I couldnít bring myself to be satisfied. I needed to INTENTIONALLY hook and land a fish before it truly counted.
                      One thing that helped me was to just stick to a small handful of tried and true patterns. That way I didnít spend the whole day worrying whether or not I had exactly what they were feeding on at the moment and just focus on technique.
                      The main fly I used was a gold ribbed hares ear.
                      Fly tying instagram @erikclymore

Comment

Originally posted by I_got_skunked View Post
                        Did you touch the leader? If so, it counts. I've seen some silly long leaders in billfish tourneys for this exact reason.
                        Closer. I had grabbed the tippet, and my hand was a few inches away.
                        Originally posted by erikclymore View Post
                        I know what you mean. The first fish I ever caught on the fly rod was on accident. I was dragging my midge in the water as I was walking up stream and a brown came and hooked himself.
                        I did end up netting him, but I couldn’t bring myself to be satisfied. I needed to INTENTIONALLY hook and land a fish before it truly counted.
                        One thing that helped me was to just stick to a small handful of tried and true patterns. That way I didn’t spend the whole day worrying whether or not I had exactly what they were feeding on at the moment and just focus on technique.
                        The main fly I used was a gold ribbed hares ear.
                        Hey now, unintentional hooks are never a bad thing
                        I would have been happy with that.

Was using a pink worm before a second fish took it with him. The eggs, wolly bugger, and hares ear I tried afterwards were all no success. Maybe i just need to order a huge collection of pink worms.

Didnt bother with dry flies. 0 chance i could use them effectively.

Comment

Working...
                        X