Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first attempt at fly fishing the Hooch.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lumis
    started a topic My first attempt at fly fishing the Hooch.

I'm gonna start this post of by saying this may not be safe for your eyes to read and your mind to comprehend. Your IQ may drop. I'm young and stubborn.

Soooo. I ordered a Cabelas RLS+ Fly Combo a few days ago. Came in last night. I unpackaged it, looked at it, and fell in love. So I told myself I'd go fishing in the morning, a little after the water release.

Now of course, I've watched plenty of fly fishing videos of all types and a few casting tutorials and whatnot. So I thought what the heck, I don't need practice, straight to the river I go.

Having caught a few hundred trout as a spin fisher, I went to one of the spots I know in the DH zone below the 20 Bridge, and set myself up on some large rocks that extend into the river. Plenty of space.

I attached my tippet ring to my leader, and them attached a tippet and fly. A wolly bugger because I have no idea what these fish eat. And attempt to cast a few times. Lose my fly and tippet in 5 minutes. Oh well. Attach another.

Very quickly realize I'm garbage. Can't cast past 20-25 feet. Tangled up my line multiple times. Accidently attach a non reusable splitshot to my leader. Oh no. Tangled up my leader at one point to that point that i could not salvage it. My leader went from 9 feet to 5 feet. I wasnt too excited about that.

Finally gave in to my stubbornness and stupidity. Decided it was time to head home. I'd give today's trip a 8/10. Laughing at my stupidity the whole time made the trip a much better experience. If anyone by any chance got a glimpse of my failure, I apologize. I'm certain any kayaks turned back upstream upon gazing their eyes on me.

So I've learned my lesson. I'll be looking for someone to teach me to cast. I'm not the fishing god I thought myself to be.

• Lumis
    replied
    Originally posted by I_got_skunked View Post
    Did you touch the leader? If so, it counts. I've seen some silly long leaders in billfish tourneys for this exact reason.
    Closer. I had grabbed the tippet, and my hand was a few inches away.
    Originally posted by erikclymore View Post
    I know what you mean. The first fish I ever caught on the fly rod was on accident. I was dragging my midge in the water as I was walking up stream and a brown came and hooked himself.
    I did end up netting him, but I couldn’t bring myself to be satisfied. I needed to INTENTIONALLY hook and land a fish before it truly counted.
    One thing that helped me was to just stick to a small handful of tried and true patterns. That way I didn’t spend the whole day worrying whether or not I had exactly what they were feeding on at the moment and just focus on technique.
    The main fly I used was a gold ribbed hares ear.
    Hey now, unintentional hooks are never a bad thing
    I would have been happy with that.

Was using a pink worm before a second fish took it with him. The eggs, wolly bugger, and hares ear I tried afterwards were all no success. Maybe i just need to order a huge collection of pink worms.

Didnt bother with dry flies. 0 chance i could use them effectively.

Leave a comment:

• erikclymore
    replied
    Originally posted by Lumis View Post
    I technically hooked a rainbow today. Reeled him in to the shore. Didn't have a net. He did a little bit of a splishy splash and came off as I was reaching for him.

You could say I had a quick release, but if I didn't touch him, it doesn't count

Week one of fly-fishing has landed no fish. The future looks bright however.
    I know what you mean. The first fish I ever caught on the fly rod was on accident. I was dragging my midge in the water as I was walking up stream and a brown came and hooked himself.
    I did end up netting him, but I couldnít bring myself to be satisfied. I needed to INTENTIONALLY hook and land a fish before it truly counted.
    One thing that helped me was to just stick to a small handful of tried and true patterns. That way I didnít spend the whole day worrying whether or not I had exactly what they were feeding on at the moment and just focus on technique.
    The main fly I used was a gold ribbed hares ear.

Leave a comment:

• I_got_skunked
    replied
    I technically hooked a rainbow today. Reeled him in to the shore. Didn't have a net. He did a little bit of a splishy splash and came off as I was reaching for him.

You could say I had a quick release, but if I didn't touch him, it doesn't count

Did you touch the leader? If so, it counts. I've seen some silly long leaders in billfish tourneys for this exact reason.

Leave a comment:

• Jakkbauer
    replied

That fish counts man. Quick release is real Get a net and learn to keep it in the ready!

Leave a comment:

• Lumis
    replied

Leave a comment:

• retiredmp
    replied
    I'm living proof that fish don't care much how your cast looks. If it's a bluebird day - they will. Biggest thing I first lined was not to line them with a big splash or ripping line out of the water.

It will come in time. It's a sport that has you throwing an object in two directions one back and the other forward. It takes time to develop the muscle memory. It will become second nature to you with time and experience.

Leave a comment:

• THE EG
    replied
    I don't think you are 15 or under but just in case and if others are reading, the UCCTU Sam Rizzio Fly Fishing & Conservation Clinic is coming up April 28th.

https://ucctu.tu.org/2018-rizzio-fly...t-time-for-all

Leave a comment:

• Trout8myfly
    replied

So I've learned my lesson. I'll be looking for someone to teach me to cast. I'm not the fishing god I thought myself to be.
    Lumis , the GWFF are hosting a beginner's clinic in April at Paces Mill. A good learning opportunity.

http://www.georgiawomenflyfishing.com/classes
    Last edited by Trout8myfly; 02-16-18, 09:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• UncleJesse
    replied
    Originally posted by fishnpreacher View Post
    I've been told that my casting looks like an old lady fighting a swarm of bees with a broomstick.
    I have seen people who could barely hit the water with a fly catch fish.

Leave a comment:

• Trouter23
    replied
    Splatek16 and Sighter, and others, have given you some really good advice.

Originally posted by ChaChung View Post
    The mistake i made was that I tried to learn everything inn my own. Stick with someone who had been doing it for a little while and you will learn it faster.
    Originally posted by NetBoy View Post
    TU has a bbq next Sunday at Paces Mill and they'll have casting lessons.
    And what ChaChung and NetBoy say is true to the nth degree. If you can hook up with someone who's proficient at fishing and catching fish, you'll learn a lot faster. Consider checking out your local Trout Unlimited chapter's next meeting for tips and new friends (read: free fishing guide).

Leave a comment:

• richf7
    replied
    Originally posted by fishnpreacher View Post
    I've been told that my casting looks like an old lady fighting a swarm of bees with a broomstick.

Leave a comment:

• Lumis
    replied
    Thanks for the tips. I noticed my arm started getting kind of sore when I had my elbow close to my body. Must be something you have to get adjusted to?

Tying my elbow down seems like a pretty good idea. I'll definitely look into that. If only it would stop raining

Leave a comment:

• JOHNKIES
    replied
    Casting vs Fishing

For what it's worth, focus more on the fishing - it's more fun. But the casting is necessary so here a few tips:

- The 'Hootch while holding much potential is one very, very big river. Try some of the smaller streams first, and the DH streams are excellent for this.
    - Try tying a loop of string around your elbow and attach other end to your belt to help keep your elbow tucked
    - Get a cheap velcro watch band (no watch needed) and use this around your casting wrist to tuck the rod butt under. This greatly helps keeping your wrist from bending.
    - Crush your bicep. If your elbow is tucked and your wrist is locked, bring the rod straight back past your ear so you crush your bicep which is the exact precise position to stop your back cast.
    - When practicing, watch your back cast more than the front cast. If you can keep the line level you are doing great. If it's dropping or shooting straight up into the air, you need to revise things
    - The benefit of this precision kind of casting is that you can do it all day long while the angler extending their arm over their, head and bending their wrist can make a good cast, they cannot do it all day. You can do this more precise cast all day long and not wear out your arm.
    - Pisgah Chapter TU holds it's annual Fly Fishing School April 28 and 29 in Tryon, NC

Leave a comment:

• fishnpreacher
    replied
    Originally posted by I_got_skunked View Post
    So you use a spey cast...
    Spey, single haul, double haul, tuck, and roll cast.....all at the same time

Leave a comment:

Working...
X