Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've kept ya'll waiting long enough. My first "official" trout.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've kept ya'll waiting long enough. My first "official" trout.

So. Sometime last month, I was on youtube watching @Zeeee's Chattahoochee videos. Left a comment saying he should post more because I was interested in fly fishing. He messaged me saying he'd take me sometime and give me some lessons. Talked to him here and there for a few weeks.

Yesterday he asked me if I wanted to go and of course, I was down. He had extra boots, waders, life jacket. Practically set me up for success. We drove to the dam, parked, and walked down a good bit before finally getting into the water. He decided to tie on some flies of his own for me. Taught me how to tie a certain knot for two flies.

And then he taught me how to correctly mend and throw me fly back up stream. He didn't fish for like the first hour. Simply watched me fish and corrected me. That's some real teaching if you ask me.

After a while, the flies we were using didn't seem to be working so we switched things up. Some 2 hours after arriving, I finally managed to hook a fish and got him into the net, even though I was really scared I would lose him.

Fish.
    Fish and I.

I'm not a huge fan of taking fish pictures with myself in them, but I was pretty dang happy, and trying to hold it all back lol.

Fished for about two more hours. Zach had some more fish caught. I was still at my one, but content with that. He said he saw me miss a few. I'm sure I did. Did a little exploring, checked out the other side of the island. Fell into a few pools and had some water drip into my waders, leading to jeans that I look like I pee'd in.

Overall, awesome day. Huge shoutout to Zach for the trip. May as well link his youtube as he'll be posting a video of today sometime. Here is the video
    Also big shoutout to Splatek, who I've been nagging with questions for a while now. Still hasn't blocked my number

Thanks for reading!

Edit: Shoutout to dave375 (i think that was his username), met him in the parking lot and we talked some.
    Last edited by Lumis; 02-24-18, 11:57 AM.

Congratulations Lumis.
    Keep at it, practice whenever you can, even in the yard.
    Soon you will be catching multiple fish per trip. And always remember its not always about catching sometimes its enjoying the outdoors and learning.

Comment

Good job, man! Way to stay at it!

Comment

Congrats, dude.
        -skunked

Warning: all posts should be assumed to contain sarcasm and misinformation unless stated otherwise. The opinions shared are not necessarily those of the poster.

Comment

Good job you crossword solving fiend!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you, thank you.

Now that I'm a self proclaimed expert, I can teach some of you rookies a lesson or two. For a small price of course. Such expertise has a cost.

I promise you no one can teach you to tangle your line like I can.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakkbauer View Post
              Good job you crossword solving fiend!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Just won the forum
              Congrats @lumis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good job Lumis!
                Hang in there. The right day,right fly, a little more experience and you are looking at a 20-30 fish day.
                BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
                Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

Originally posted by Lumis View Post
                  Thank you, thank you.

Now that I'm a self proclaimed expert, I can teach some of you rookies a lesson or two. For a small price of course. Such expertise has a cost.

I promise you no one can teach you to tangle your line like I can.
                  It is a true talent to tie a knot in mid air without using your fingers! Some people can sing, play musical instruments, paint, etc. We have the fingerless knot tying talent. I'm proud of it.

Comment

Good job. Welcome to the addiction.
                    I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.

------Team Norvise------
                    sigpic

Comment

Thanks ya'll!

Originally posted by eyeflyfish View Post
                      It is a true talent to tie a knot in mid air without using your fingers!
                      That's the spirit. I like the way you think. My knots are unbreakable. So strong I can't lose a fish. Or catch one.

Comment

Great job to you and to Zeeee!! Posts like this are my favorite part of NGTO. It was really nice to meet you both and hear the story first hand. Success will come incrementaly at first and then it will come exponentially as long as you're able to keep working on it which I believe you will since the look on your face in the parking lot pretty much said you're already just as hooked on it as the rest of us.
                        I'd been watching the heron in the background of the 2d pic as y'all moved upstream and was thinking y'all were going to get one in that area.
                        One piece of advice is get some polarized sunglasses, even its just the cheap ones from Walmart that clip over your regular glasses. They will completely change how you see the river.
                        THEY TRIED TO BURY US BUT THEY DID NOT KNOW WE WERE SEEDS

Comment

Originally posted by Dave375 View Post
                          One piece of advice is get some polarized sunglasses, even its just the cheap ones from Walmart that clip over your regular glasses. They will completely change how you see the river.
                          I was actually thinking about that while on the river. I wear contacts whenever I feel like putting them in, so finding a cheap pair would be beneficial. I was definitely struggling to see where I was stepping when the big white clouds were reflecting off the water.

Thanks! I'll look into a pair on amazon right now.

Comment

Awesome stuff! I knew it'd happen sooner than later! Props for not quitting early and being dedicated. It was around 3 years ago I was in the same place.

Comment

Originally posted by Sighter View Post
                              Awesome stuff! I knew it'd happen sooner than later! Props for not quitting early and being dedicated. It was around 3 years ago I was in the same place.
                              I'm stubborn to the very core of my bones! When I first started spin fishing for trout, I would go multiple times per week and catch nothing. I could not land a thing. By the next summer, I was catching 10-20 trout from the shoreline whenever I went.

I plan to make that a reality when fly fishing. I know I'm not going to catch big numbers for a few months probably, but being out in nature and on the water is a much better experience than sitting in bed all day (though I still occasionally do that, man needs sleep).

Edit: Ordered those polarized glasses.
                              Last edited by Lumis; 02-23-18, 02:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X