2018 Gathering of NGTO Navy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crawfish View Post
    Iím not familiar with the river to far upstream of Lula Bridge. How far up are the shoals?
    I would estimate about 5 miles. Launching from Belton Bridge would cut that to about 2 miles. Belton Bridge ramp, however, is a little exposed to pilfering. I haven't heard of too many problems there from folks who have parked and launched there, but it has a bit of an odd feel being right next to a main road with an open parking lot.

If you have google earth, here are the coordinates we'll be plotting:

Lula Bridge:
    34ļ 24' 54.93"N
    83ļ 42' 28.02"W

Belton Bridge Ramp:
    34ļ 26' 14.93"N
    83ļ 40' 50.91"W

Uppermost Shoals we can reach with motors:
    34ļ 27' 59.11"N
    83ļ 41' 11.20"W

Normally, I wouldn't give out exact coordinates, but it's no real secret where Lula and Belton Bridge ramps are, and a little search up the river on google earth will pretty much pinpoint where the upper shoals are at.

The upper shoals won't necessarily be our target point, but they will pretty much be the upper limit of our operations since it's difficult to navigate boynd this point with a motor and a propeller. If you decide to join us with a kayak, you'll probably be able to get a good bit further up stream if you feel like pushing it.
    If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.

Comment

Google maps says it's 6.0 miles from Lula bridge to the shoals, following the river (or as the fish swims).

Lula to Belton is 2.8 miles, so from Belton to the shoals is 3.2 miles.

Looks like a nice stretch of water. Ya'll have fun!
      "What's his offense?"
      "Groping for trouts in a peculiar river."
      ― William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

Comment

Okay. So I’m off by 20% and 35% respectively.

Thanks for working out the mileage for us, George. Why don’t you join us? You know I catch fish the same way you do. (Actually, you’re probably a bit better than I am.)
        If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.

Comment

Iíd love to join yaíll but for two factors:
          - I donít got a floaty thingy with motor
          - I will be in Wheaton MD working that day.

I wasnít trying to poke at your calculations - I was just playing with the google distance measuring doohickey.

As for catching fish....ha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          "What's his offense?"

Comment

Do you have a Mapquest address for your GPS guys? (Just to be sure I get to the right place?)

Comment

Head north on 985 until it turns to 365. Continue north to the intersection with Hwy 52. Turn left onto 52. (There's a Waffle House on the corner at 4395 Cornelia Hwy, Lula, GA 30503). Continue west on 52 until you cross the river. The boat ramp is just on the other side of the bridge on the right.

Comment

Originally posted by Trouty Mouth View Post
                Do you have a Mapquest address for your GPS guys? (Just to be sure I get to the right place?)
                Here's a google maps link to the shoals. Is that what you meant?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/34...!4d-83.6864444

Lula Bridge
                https://www.google.com/maps/place/Lu...3!4d-83.708788

Belton
                https://www.google.com/maps/place/Be...!4d-83.6804685
                "What's his offense?"

Comment

Thought I'd pass this along for everyone who is considering joining us. It'll give you a good idea as to what this section of the river is like. It's a WHOLE lot different from the metro-section that most of us are familiar with.

Upper Chattahoochee River Fishing and Access Points

Comment

Originally posted by Swamp Angel View Post
                    Thought I'd pass this along for everyone who is considering joining us. It'll give you a good idea as to what this section of the river is like. It's a WHOLE lot different from the metro-section that most of us are familiar with.

Upper Chattahoochee River Fishing and Access Points
                    Iíve been reading over that link for the past week or so to feed my new found interest in shoal bass. Iíve yet to make my first trip but it sure is a wealth of info on the area!
                    Iíll probably have to watch from the sidelines unless I can weasel my way on to someoneís boat.
                    Fly tying instagram @erikclymore

Comment

Mr. Swampy If I am able to make the fleets cruising this year. Where and time of launch? Thanks.

Comment

Jimbo, I'm lookin' at the weather and it's showing a really good chance of rain in the morning beginnin' to slack off around 9 or 10, so rather than commence to fishin' real early I'd recommend we hit the ramp mid-morning (around 10:00). We'll meet at the boat ramp at Lula Bridge. See the general directions in the fifth post up from this one.

Hope to see you there. If I recall correctly, you were the first one of any of us to actually catch a walleye on one of these outings.

Comment

I am currently fighting a bit of a cold, but I hope I am over it by Saturday. Fishing with a cold in the cold is the worst.

DD F
                          Fly Fisherman - Part Entomologist, Part Meteorologist, Part Ichthyologist, Part Hydrologist, All Liar.

Comment

I'm not going to make the maneuvers, but I have some intel for you.

I took the jet up there 2 weeks ago, and launched at the ramp just below Belton Bridge. The river was running at about 1100 cfs at Clayton, and it was the most water I had ever run on up there, and was very good for the many prop boats we ran into. The water level was very good for fishing, and the color was stained but not muddy.

Now the bad news. There was virtually no signs of fishy life. We ran all the way up to the foot of Bull Shoals, and made 2 full drifts back down to the end of the river section at Mud Creek. The current was cooking. None of the other boats that we talked to had had any bites.

I went up there last spring, launching down by the rowing center, and the river started at the big curve just below the BB ramp. The riverbed was totally silted in, with hardly even a channel. I ran up to the usual end of the river portion above Mud Creek, and it never got better, so we turned around. I am afraid that all that silt has really wreacked havoc on the fish habitat, at least on the lower section, although that could be the normal state of affairs on very low water, even though there is now 5 feet more of water on top of the silt. I also think that the cold snaps have stopped most of the fish movement up from the lake that was starting with the warm Feb weather we had.

In short, I think it is just too early to go there with any real hope of any good fishing, and the silt is probably making that worse down low. I hope I am wrong.

FM
                            The tug is the drug!

"Grow a pear!" - Groundpounder

Comment

Thanks for the heads up Mark. I had been kicking around whether or not to gear up and try to make it, but your post settles it for me. I can fish closer to home for less with the same results. I've been off work Wed &Thur, but the wind and honey-do's have kept me at home. If the wind will stop blowing, I'm likely to drown some minnows in a deep brushpile. See you gents at the Fling...
                              BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
                              Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

Originally posted by erikclymore View Post
                                Iíve been reading over that link for the past week or so to feed my new found interest in shoal bass. Iíve yet to make my first trip but it sure is a wealth of info on the area!
                                Iíll probably have to watch from the sidelines unless I can weasel my way on to someoneís boat.
                                Long shot but if anyone wants to go I have a boat but nothing to tow with. I live in Smyrna GA. My unit is a 14x48 jon with a jet on it.

Comment

Working...
                                X