All day release on a Friday

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All day release on a Friday

So glad I am not in the country right now... No fishing on a Friday... Ugh.....

Let the fun begin
    I like em big fat and sloppy.

Comment

I welcome this let’s flush that baby out

Comment

Originally posted by browniez View Post
        Let the fun begin
        Ohhhhhhh yeah. Go get ‘em.
        @glennmau

Comment

The release ends at 9:00 and it takes 14 hours for the water to recede at JB.

Will it be safe to wade at 7:00 AM Saturday?

Comment

Highly suspect at best. The river has not been pushed like this for awhile. Think of it like a super full bathtub that has to drain. It takes time for the river to push that water down and on top of that the water will back up upstream for awhile which means it can take longer to run its course to normal flows. Also consider that they are continuing the big releases on saturday. If you have a boat you will be ok, but anything else is playing a game of life and death.
            #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
            -Chinese Proverb

“At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.”
            -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
            -PH

Comment

Originally posted by richf7 View Post
              The release ends at 9:00 and it takes 14 hours for the water to recede at JB.

Will it be safe to wade at 7:00 AM Saturday?
              You’ve also got to account for travel time. It takes quite a few hours for the water to make it to JB which means the tail end of the release will just be getting to JB sometime Saturday early am THEN you can start the countdown for the water to recede.
              Call me overly simple, but in situations like this where we’re having mega releases semi close together I only focus on the dam. It would be a gamble(for me) anywhere else. You’ve gotta start factoring the time for water to travel(which varies with the size of release) and the time it’ll take to recede, and I’m sorry but that’s just becoming a bit to much like math!
              The closer you get to under the dam the quicker the water recedes, so 30 minutes or so after a release I feel comfortable heading to the dam. That’s just me though.

EDIT
              I figured I should add that this is the first time I’ve fished through releases of this magnitude, so I could get to the river and be surprised at how high the water still is. I’m judging all this off my experience with the more typical 1 or 2 hour releases.
              The moral of this post is when in doubt GO HOME!
              Fly tying instagram @erikclymore

Comment

I'm putting in right as the release hits McGinnis tomorrow. I'm pumped to see the river actually full. I'd never fished above Morgan falls until I had a boat and when I took a buddy in the fall he commented on how low the water was and had been(he hadn't fished that section in years) Im hoping all the spots I've mentally marked will show something fishwise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                "I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
                -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

"Stop Whining"

Comment

Originally posted by troutbum69 View Post
                  I'm putting in right as the release hits McGinnis tomorrow. I'm pumped to see the river actually full. I'd never fished above Morgan falls until I had a boat and when I took a buddy in the fall he commented on how low the water was and had been(he hadn't fished that section in years) Im hoping all the spots I've mentally marked will show something fishwise

Mmm you should probably do your best to stay in front of it on the very leading edge.

IMHO it does not fish well at full blast. Your going to get caught in a monster band of turbidity as it comes up that will be unfishable until it blows through after a couple hours. If your moving downstream with it you night stay stuck in it
                  I like em big fat and sloppy.

Comment

Yeah launched at abbotts at 930, rode the front end. Nothing to show for it. A couple in a gheenoe was slightly ahead of us and had a bad day. Stuffed the boat and lost most of their stuff. Luckily they were fine. Boat was floating down in two pieces I was told when taking out at medlock.

Didn't think it was appropriate to take pictures when I stopped to help. This is the best I got

"I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
                    -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

"Stop Whining"

Comment

Working...
                    X