Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lake Lanier sprung a leak

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lake Lanier sprung a leak

    The hooch is not messing around today! I'm pretty comfortable in the river under most conditions but not today! I wonder what the river and the fishing would be like if it ran like this all the time...
    minimumexposure on IG

  • #2
    She is a powerful, powerful body of water, that 'hooch...

    Comment


    • #3
      When it read the thread topic "Lanier sprung a leak" it got my attention. That is something the Corps is always watching for especially during sustained periods of heavy rains. Most folks don't know that all earthen dams leak. At Buford Dam it is the old river bed at the base of the dam under the footbridge and smaller areas at two saddle dikes. Seepage is a natural phenomena but you can bet they keep a close eye on it.

      Buford Dam 01 by Natureman29, on Flickr
      Last edited by natureman; 03-02-18, 05:00 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Winter of 2016 it ran non stop for over a month. Fishing? There was no fishing then. I got in two trips to the hooch before having a month or more off because of all the rain. Not the welcome to Atlanta I was looking for.
        @glennmau

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by natureman View Post
          When it read the thread topic "Lanier sprung a leak" it got my attention. That is something the Corps is always watching for especially during sustained periods of heavy rains. Most folks don't know that all earthen dams leak. At Buford Dam it is the old river bed at the base of the dam under the footbridge and smaller areas at two saddle dikes. Seepage is a natural phenomena but you can bet they keep a close eye on it.
          I don't even want to think about the total PSI on the main dam.
          "What's his offense?"
          "Groping for trouts in a peculiar river."
          ― William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

          Comment


          • #6
            I when I her dam leakage this is what I think of:
            Teton River Dam of 1976
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6NAjrIjf3U

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Trout8myfly View Post
              I don't even want to think about the total PSI on the main dam.
              This will get you close although it is for sea water. At 160 feet deep at the base of the dam its 85.7945 psi. http://www.calctool.org/CALC/other/games/depth_press
              Last edited by natureman; 03-02-18, 08:03 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by gau16 View Post
                Winter of 2016 it ran non stop for over a month. Fishing? There was no fishing then. I got in two trips to the hooch before having a month or more off because of all the rain. Not the welcome to Atlanta I was looking for.
                I was fishing it. We kept track 87 hours and 1 fish. The lessons learned turned into giants the summer after though.
                I like em big fat and sloppy.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I knew you'd get me there, Alex...I remember you posting about it. I hit "post" before including that.

                  I guess my edit would say "us wading folk were not fishing"

                  haha
                  @glennmau

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by gau16 View Post
                    I knew you'd get me there, Alex...I remember you posting about it. I hit "post" before including that.

                    I guess my edit would say "us wading folk were not fishing"

                    haha
                    Well I shouldn't have been fishing lol!

                    It was dark times, dark times.
                    I like em big fat and sloppy.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I bet it helped getting to know the river at least. Trying to find a silver lining for you.
                      @glennmau

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Be careful bros. Its clear, cold, and windy this weekend anyway.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          We are not getting as much rain down here, so it is frustrating to still have to deal with 17,000 CFS and 21 on the nearest USGS gauge because of all of the rain falling to the north. 4,000 and 16 are the upper limits for me where I wade for bass and fish with lines in the spring.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X