Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with release schedule

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Help with release schedule

    I知 still new to reading the release schedules. Especially these multiple times a day releases. I was wanting to fish IF tomorrow. It looks like they池e doing two rounds of releases tomorrow. Will this pretty much ruin wade fishing the whole day or will there be a window I could get out there? Thanks for the help, trying to stay safe out there!

  • #2
    Go to this page
    and enter BUFORD DAM/LAKE SIDNEY LANIER in the first drop menu. In the drop menu below that, choose a date. After you have done this you should see a release schedule for the Hooch below the dam.

    Next, check out the following web page from the Atlanta Fly Fishing Club: http://www.atlantaflyfishingclub.org/resources/

    Do a few mathematical calculations and you'll be able to figure out when the river can be fished the way you want to fish it.

    Also, check out the following link and work out the math to figure what the turbidity is like. It'll only give you a "guesstimate" if you're above or below Medlock Bridge at Norcross, but if you reference the AFFC flow rates you should be able to figure out when the water at cetain points is fishable. The most important items to be found in the last link are GAUGE HEIGHT and TURBIDITY.

    You'll want the gauge height to be as low as possible and turbidity should be below "8". The lower the turbidity, the clearer the water. Once the turbidity gets below a "4" you might want to consider matching your clothing to the background of the sky. Lower turbidity means clearer water.

    I hope this helps, and that it wasn't too confusing. Add another note to this thread if my answer seems a little bit nuts and I'll give you the hill-billy/Cajun run down.
    If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.

    Comment


    • #3
      Good questions...

      ...and it does get complicated! The time from a release to impact at any given point varies, too, with things like the magnitude of the release, what might be happening in the watershed of tributary streams, and how high the river was before the release began.

      If I may humbly suggest my own book, check out CHATTAHOOCHEE TROUT (at local outfitters, on Amazon, or signed copies at www.chattahoocheemedia.com). It includes a good bit of discussion on the matter of figuring out the tailwater releases and how to make sense of them as they relate to fishability.

      No matter what the release schedules and the charts say, however, always stay "in tune" with the river. If you sense that it might be coming up, or if something just somehow doesn't seem right, don't take any chances. Decide that up front, before you get in the water, and you'll be off to a good start!

      Best,

      Steve

      Comment


      • #4
        Unfortunately with these double releases, Any chance for safe wading is up really close to the dam while watching the release schedule very closely. Anywhere I usually fish (near Jones bridge) and below will be too dangerous to wade.
        Hi my name is Charles and I'm a fishaholic.

        Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

        Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ChaChung View Post
          Unfortunately with these double releases, Any chance for safe wading is up really close to the dam while watching the release schedule very closely. Anywhere I usually fish (near Jones bridge) and below will be too dangerous to wade.
          I致e been keeping an eye on the gauge near norcross and I believe it痴 hit a safe level once in the last 4 or 5 days!
          I知 itching to get to that area. I知 tired of dodging egg sinkers and kayaks at the dam!
          Fly tying instagram @erikclymore

          Comment


          • #6
            Is it common this time of year to have multiple releases? I don't recall it happening much between December - February. Tonight's late release rules out a trip for me to JB tomorrow morning.

            Comment


            • #7
              It is typical for a spring when the lake is almost full and inflows plus anticipated rainfall would otherwise push it over full. Two releases a day balance the flow more evenly further downstream than one higher volume or longer release. The amount of rainfall in the watershed over the weekend will most likely be one factor that determines next weeks schedule. Keep in mind Lanier is a multi-purpose project and is just one cog in the gear of the entire river system. Here is some light reading material that explains a complex operation.

              http://www.sam.usace.army.mil/Portal...-20-114651-927
              Last edited by natureman; 03-09-18, 04:36 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                First - this is "normal" for this time of year, we have been in a drought with Lanier way down so we haven't had to experience it in the past 4-5 years.

                Second - No wading this weekend (unless the schedule changes) anywhere below Bowmans. I checked both JB and IF and their lowest point this week is 6 inches higher than I would attempt. I am experienced and older, not to mention a significant lack of common sense and I wouldn't try it

                Third - this is GREAT news for April through the summer months, we desperately needed a good scour and hopefully this will continue.

                This being said - if they only have one release tomorrow, and due to the incoming rain they just might, there is a chance for Sunday.
                RScott

                Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Swamp Angel View Post
                  Go to this page
                  and enter BUFORD DAM/LAKE SIDNEY LANIER in the first drop menu. In the drop menu below that, choose a date. After you have done this you should see a release schedule for the Hooch below the dam.

                  Next, check out the following web page from the Atlanta Fly Fishing Club: http://www.atlantaflyfishingclub.org/resources/

                  Do a few mathematical calculations and you'll be able to figure out when the river can be fished the way you want to fish it.

                  Also, check out the following link and work out the math to figure what the turbidity is like. It'll only give you a "guesstimate" if you're above or below Medlock Bridge at Norcross, but if you reference the AFFC flow rates you should be able to figure out when the water at cetain points is fishable. The most important items to be found in the last link are GAUGE HEIGHT and TURBIDITY.

                  You'll want the gauge height to be as low as possible and turbidity should be below "8". The lower the turbidity, the clearer the water. Once the turbidity gets below a "4" you might want to consider matching your clothing to the background of the sky. Lower turbidity means clearer water.

                  I hope this helps, and that it wasn't too confusing. Add another note to this thread if my answer seems a little bit nuts and I'll give you the hill-billy/Cajun run down.
                  Thanks for the info...I'm having trouble determining real time and next day turbidity/gauge height using the USGS Data and how they correlate to CFS....no problem finding the release/generation schedule, how long it takes to reach and recede from JB.

                  Math isn't my strong suit.


                  PS: Some of the links on the Chattahoochee River - Water Release Info & Gage Heights sticky are dead or dated.
                  Last edited by richf7; 03-23-18, 01:33 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I might start a small stream support group...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      At first they thought this was buford dam, failing,

                      https://weather.com/storms/severe/vi...failure-of-dam

                      but then realized they are just releasing all the time. LOL

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Maybe I知 just now paying more attention to it but it seems like the release times over the past few weeks have put the kibosh on morning fishing at Jones Bridge. I know there are other places but for my money none of them compare with JB.

                        Now I値l shut up and be grateful for having trout fishing so close!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          There's been a pretty consistent window at JB between 0900 and 1100. Also, when the water is still a little high there are still some great spots that aren't too bad even in high water. These are great spots and I feel I've leaned a lot about fishing during rising or falling water.
                          minimumexposure on IG

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by vancheesey View Post
                            There's been a pretty consistent window at JB between 0900 and 1100. Also, when the water is still a little high there are still some great spots that aren't too bad even in high water. These are great spots and I feel I've leaned a lot about fishing during rising or falling water.
                            Maybe I知 incorrectly calculating the release times and how they translate to wadability. As an example the last release Friday is 4:00 PM. It takes 4 hours to reach JB (8:00 PM) and 16 hours before the water recedes to the pre-release flow of up to 700 CFS, which is 12:00 noon on Saturday.

                            Hope i知 not missing something.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Dude don't ask me to do math... I'm no expert but it seems to take 4 to 6 hours to reach JB and 10 to 12 hours to recede, give or take depending on conditions. Water at JB seems to be staying faster and a little more powerful even at lower levels than I remember, even at the lower levels. There seems to be an immense amount of sand moving through JB.
                              minimumexposure on IG

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X