1/2 grumpy and 1/2 whiny...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/2 grumpy and 1/2 whiny...

Bass are great and all, but man I am really missing being on the river and catching trout...
    minimumexposure on IG

Iíll tell you what Iím missing...a vancheesy couplet to get me through.
    We are the music-makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams,
    Wandering by lone sea-breakers
    And sitting by desolate streams;
    World losers and world forsakers,
    On whom the pale moon gleams.

Comment

Itís looking like hope for this weekend may not be misplaced... hang in there!
      I like em big fat and sloppy.

Comment

Originally posted by GoutUnlimited View Post
        Iíll tell you what Iím missing...a vancheesy couplet to get me through.
        Careful what you wish for my gouty friend...I've almost drank enough to wax poetic... speaking of, all I ever wanted to be, from my earliest memories, was a warrior poet... anyone else in here grow up reading La'Amour?
        minimumexposure on IG

Comment

Originally posted by vancheesey View Post
          ... anyone else in here grow up reading La'Amour?
          Louis L'Amour was my dad's choice of book for relaxing. For me it has always been the following four (in chronological order):
          • Mark Twain
          • Edgar Rice Burroughs
          • Allen Drury
          • Tom Clancy
          If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.

Comment

Mark Twain is Mark Twain and is so ingrained in the ideology of Americans of a certain age that it bears no mention, other than to note that the removal of Twain from American literary lionization (along with London, Steinbeck, and others) will leave such a gaping hole that all hope of longevity for American masculinity is all but lost... as for the others, John Carter never realized the Hollywood attention it deserved, a truly amazing story that wasn't treated with the dignity and zest for life it deserved... Clancy is (was) an amazing American novelist that unfortunately fell prey to Hollywood's whimsy which stole the writings import... lamour was never just a "western" writer, he captured the very essence of the desire for adventure, to see what lay over the next hill, the ethos of standing for what is right in the face of insurmountable odds, and down right joy of meeting a foe in mortal combat...
            minimumexposure on IG

Comment

...and Hemingway...dear god Hemingway! Do I really need to mount an argument in support of Hemingway on a fishing themed board? Is any other American writer more at odds with current political correctness than Hemingway? My god that was a man that will never be seen again in this time! Christ it's time to turn off the spigots and let loose the hounds upon the river! I need to hunt, meet with, and best the river dwellers!
              minimumexposure on IG

Comment

... lamour was never just a "western" writer, he captured the very essence of the desire for adventure...
                Okay. Now you have me going through the many boxes of Dad's books that I inherited. I shall now set all thing Louis L'Amour in order and begin reading. I do, however, have to include one more work that I never thought I'd like. The Spy by James Fenimore Cooper wound up being one of my favorites. Thanks to the wife of the president of Dad's gas company I have an first issue printing of this one. It beats the tarnelly out of any of his other works.

Sheesh! This is a trout fishing site. How in the heck did we ever get into literature?
                If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.

Comment

I have a copy of "The Last of the Mohicans" given to me by Brian, a homeless Vietnam vet I used to feed in little 5 points and it's one of my prized possessions...did you really think there's a difference between fly fishing and literature? They are two sides of the same coin...
                  minimumexposure on IG

Comment

If you might like a modern Western, you can't beat Craig Johnson's Longmire series of books. It's great to find an author you like and have a whole series of books already out there for you.

Comment

....removal of Twain from American literary lionization (along with London, Steinbeck, and others)...
                      Wait, what!?

Also, my grandfather had a shelf covered in LL's books, especially the Sacketts. I've read almost all of them before age ten, almost everything Twain had written by the same age, all the popular Jack London titles, the list goes into eternity...

Comment

Originally posted by Stinkbait View Post
                        If you might like a modern Western, you can't beat Craig Johnson's Longmire series of books. It's great to find an author you like and have a whole series of books already out there for you.
                        x2, have personally met Craig Johnson and the cast of Longmire at Longmire Days in Buffalo, WY in 2015. Great bunch of folks and down to earth as well. Had a drink in the Red Pony in town and then went trout fishing in Cody, WY. Great trip.

Kelly Hinson

Comment

It was the Sackett mini-series that got me started reading LL. I would like to find more DVD with movies from the LL books, for my old age which is rapidly approaching.
                          Want to hear God laugh? Tell Him your plans.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleJesse View Post
                            It was the Sackett mini-series that got me started reading LL. I would like to find more DVD with movies from the LL books, for my old age which is rapidly approaching.
                            I actually stumbled on a DVD miniseries starring Tom Selleck and Sam Elliot in a thrift shop recently, still in the shrink wrap. I have yet to open it. I'm actually kind apprehensive because it'll likely be terrible.

Comment

Working...
                            X