Dead bow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead bow

Spencer wanted to hit the river today, but it was a mess. Looked like chocolate milk, or as Spencer described it: diarrhea.

We found this dead bow with some power bait in his throat. Other than that we just practiced casting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me guess, it was in the artificial only section too

Comment

Originally posted by Sighter View Post
      Let me guess, it was in the artificial only section too

You know it
      Had am argument with a fella, actually more of a kindly debate, about whether power bait was artificial.
      It was the nicest exchange I've ever had on the river at that section.

Comment

I'm confused. People don't know the regulations because they don't read them or they just feign ignorance and do what they want?

Comment

They don't feign ignorance they just don't follow the rules

Comment

I found a bow like that last year at the dam. It was barely alive, hooked in the jaw, with about 50 yds of 20# test mono tangled around a fallen tree. I unhooked it and tried to revive it a little, but I strongly doubt it ended up surviving.

How far down river from the dam were you located? I am planning on going tomorrow morning, but trying to decide between settles and the dam. I live in Decatur, and with all the scattered storms lately, it is hard to know which parts of the river are getting hit with all this rain. Wish there was a nephelometer at McGinnis...

Powerbait is like the Slim Jim (or Vienna Sausage) of bait; no clue what it contains or if it's even real, but it's impossible to not eat at least one. For trout, one is all it takes...

Comment

Originally posted by splatek16 View Post
              They don't feign ignorance they just don't follow the rules
              My favorite: "I have been fishing here for <fill in the crazy number> years, and I don't care what the regs say, I am doing what I always have done". That's when I make some space between me and the caveman, and make a phone call to the DNR Tip Line.

It is very satisfying turning in someone that is that stupid and arrogant.

FM
              The tug is the drug!

"Grow a pear!" - Groundpounder

Comment

Originally posted by fishmonger View Post
                My favorite: "I have been fishing here for <fill in the crazy number> years, and I don't care what the regs say, I am doing what I always have done". That's when I make some space between me and the caveman, and make a phone call to the DNR Tip Line.

FM

Exactly my strategy.
                I've only had one serious altercation, guy got loud until we were face to face... He came at me...
                Then he left.
                I still called

Comment

So more of a general "**** your laws" than anything? I have yet to run into that and I'm not exactly the calmest person all the time. We'll see, I guess.

Comment

Power bait is definitely not allowed there. Of course, neither are corn or worms.

I always nicely state that the section is artificial only with no flavored or scented baits and that I don't want them to get busted for something they were unaware of, then I reach down into my secret stash of non-fly-fishing lures I always have with me and give the offender two Panther-Martin spinners. One yellow with silver blade and one black with gold blade. I'll hang out just around the bend to see whether they make the appropriate adjustment. If they do, then all is well. If they don't, then the tip line gets a call.
                    If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.

Comment

2 dead bows left by an angler.
                      I reckon this was a situation of a full limit, but then kept fishing and caught a few bigger fish and left these guys behind. Glad they were hatchery bows, but still this is ludicrous. Why can't folks just play by the rules....
                      A holes.
                      Not to mention the half dozen white plastic bag creels I saw today that were way over full.
                      W t h

Comment

Originally posted by fishmonger View Post

FM
                        Man the tip line is good, but I prefer direct dial. Chris Hall is an OG.
                        I like em big fat and sloppy.

Comment

Same thing at JB on Weds. One of the Nepali guys probably had like 40 fish and another two guys had at least 60 between them. And some folks where swaping out the ones they had on their stringer already for bigger fish. I wanted to call Ranger Jay but for some reason I never get reception at JB, deep in the woods at IF perfect reception.

Anyways they have this new technique with the bags I saw where he'll get in the water stick the bag on a log then wedge it underneath another log so noone will ever see them. Mind you they where doing this in full sight of everyone with complete disregard.

One of them came up to me to have a chat and ask about what knots I was using because he was breaking off fish (this is why you find dead fish with powerbait balls in them). Then asked me why they couldn't use more than one rod. I laughed but really cried inside. They where still going WAY over limit but not using more than one Rod. I guess since they can hide the fish but not rods.

Then I asked him why the fat Buddha looking one was such a piece and throws lead at my head. He said it was because I get in their way and I don't know what I'm doing. I told him that I'm standing on a huge rock with about a 20 foot circumference and is ankle deep in the water so there is no fish around me. Plus I am usually high sticking close so I am nowhere close to where they cast.

Didn't feel like getting into an argument with him (he had neck tattoos, not hipster tattoos) so I just told him to pass along to his buddies not to throw stuff at other anglers and gave him a bottle of water that hes asked for because he didn't bring any. He asked me if I kept any fish. I told him sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. This kind of baffled him. He then told me he sells the fish he catches so every time he goes fishing his goal is to get as many fish as possible. I kinda tried talking conservation to him, I don't think he understood the concept and told him that they should really at least pick up their trash because it affects water temps, contaminants etc. So i guess I made some headway as he did seem to grasp this. This guy spoke perfect English and told me he has been her over 20 years so they know whats up but just couldn't give two shiits.
                          We are the music-makers,
                          And we are the dreamers of dreams,
                          Wandering by lone sea-breakers
                          And sitting by desolate streams;
                          World losers and world forsakers,
                          On whom the pale moon gleams.

Comment

I just wade in amongst them. They are afraid of El Loco Gringo or as they tend to call me... "El Toro Centauro". Very soon they disperse after i show up.

Comment

Originally posted by Timberman View Post
                              I just wade in amongst them. They are afraid of El Loco Gringo or as they tend to call me... "El Toro Centauro". Very soon they disperse after i show up.

The hombres in my parts are mostly pretty cool and adherent its the Nepalians that cause havok. Luckily all but one or two of them wade so the rest of them fish from the bank...but it still pretty bad when I want to fish runs that I know have fish.
                              We are the music-makers,
                              And we are the dreamers of dreams,
                              Wandering by lone sea-breakers
                              And sitting by desolate streams;
                              World losers and world forsakers,
                              On whom the pale moon gleams.

Comment

Working...
                              X