Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking in a New Bateau

DISCLAIMER:
    Well, you clicked on it. I didn't force ya to do it. But now you're here and now you're gonna be subjected to a Swampy post. Click back to the previous page if'n you cain't handle hill-billy dialect with a Cajun flair. This has been known to make some brains hurt. Other folks just pity me.

Not so long ago, one of our reg'lars known as splatek16 done requisitioned a bateau from our own dearly beloved "fishnpreacher". It's a rather nice little bateau with a metal hull, fifteen horse Evinruder, an' even TWO trollin' motors! I'm gonna tell y'all what . . . Splatek done got hisse'f one mahty fahn bateau fer the 'Hooch!

We'd been chit-chattin' 'bout hookin' up an' gittin' him all familiar with the 'Hooch 'twixt Duluth an' Shakerag an' fin'ly today we got to hook up an' make the run.

We met up at Abbott's at 10:27AM (this would be what is 10:00AM on "Meaux Standard Time, but MST always runs twenny to thirty minutes later than reg'lar real time). Steven was already there an' was more'n half set up an' ready to go. Meaux an' I were ready to join him about five minutes after we arrived, so purty soon we were all in the water an' a-headin' up river from Abbotts all the way to Shakerag Rock above McGinnis Ferry.

There are a couple "wiggly" and "higgledy-piggledy" areas headin' up that a-way. Most notable are the shallows right afore you git to Suwanee Creek, an' then a section above that which has been named "Firewalk" by fishmonger an' skibum. But - splatek handled both areas real well an' navigated 'em more respectable than I ever did on mah firstest five or six trips up that way.

once we got up to Shakerag we sat fer awhile an' told fish lies for awhile, then we commenced to floatin' back down an' a-castin' left an' raht. 'Twasn't too long afore splatek had him his firstest fish in his own bateau! I have video evidence of it raht here:

https://www.facebook.com/10001377099...5230620279301/

We never hit the gasoline two-smoke motors again 'til we'd done floated all the way back down to Abbott's and had caught a load of trouts. 'Twixt Meaux an' me, we had 'bout a dozen or so brought to the boat. Splatek, of course, bein' new to boatin' an' havin' to figur things out on the fly only caught twiced as menny as Meaux an' me combined. (I swear I'll sink him if'n he does this to us again!)

We got down to about the last third of the float an' splatek hooks into what we all thought was a log in the water. . . until it commenced a-movin' all around the place. It turned out to be one heck of a big rainbow that was without a doubt above twenny-two inches in length. (An' THAT'S how big it looked from MY boat that was thirty foot away!) I had grabbed mah iPhone an' thought I had it all on video, but alas, all I got was a couple seconds at the end when he netted it an' it realized there was a hole in hos net to escape from. An' of course I know y'all won't believe me alone on this, but Meaux was a witness to it as well an' her word can be trusted on account of she talks gooder English than me.

All in all 'twas a good day on the river. Maybe a couple little crises at the end of the float when I had to change out the bearings on mah trailer, but that's to be 'spected ev'ry onced in awhile.

Ennyway, congrat's to splatek16 on a great day on the river an' fer becomin' an official member of the NGTO Navy now. All y'all that fish the 'Hooch tail waters, be on the look out. There's a new PT-Boat roamin' the shoals!

An' oh yeah. . . Meaux once again caught more'n me.

EDITED ADDITIONS TO ORIGINAL POST BELOW:

Now, I didn't include all the perticklers at first on account of I'm kinda tired after today's ordeals.

First off, when Meaux was backin' up the boat I noticed an odd sound comin' from the wheels. Turns out it was a burnt bearing. Fortunately, when we got back to the ramp I had a spare hub with bearings in the car an' was able to rectify that purty quickly. Of course, Meaux had to drive home later since mah hands were a wee bit grimy with all that axle grease on 'em.

Secondly, purt' soon as we were on the water I realized that mah 'lectronics had gone all to poop. Turned out it was only jes' a loose wire that was fixed in a jiffy. Still, 'twas yet a nuther aggravation.

Thirdly, and mostest scary to me, when we first commenced to driftin' back I felt a sharp, agonizin' pain on mah pointer toe on mah raht foot. I lloked down to see what I was certain was a black widder spider jes' a-bitin' me fer all she was worth. I figured I was a goner. I'm simply jes' terrified of spiders. 'Specially them black widders! Haw! Lawzy-mercy! I jes' knew I was gonna die. But thankfully it turned out to be only a bumble bee. Poor thing died fer his troubles, but I sure was happy to see it wasn't enny black widder!

All in all, a good day. Lookin' forward to doin' this'n again!
    Last edited by Swamp Angel; 07-08-18, 08:34 AM.
    If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.

I see Steve had the guns out, sweet looking tank top. I might start going with that look. #phillyredneck.

Almost makes me want a boat, until the repair stories started. Looks like you guys had a blast and a nice day to be out there catching troooots.
    http://www.bigtflyfishing.com

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off

Comment

#phillyredneck all the way. Bahaha. But seriously, you can't expect me to have a farmers tan. I got a rep to protect....

Had a great time with swampy and Melissa. Learned a ton. A few folks on ngto have been really instrumental in making me and a boat a real thing. @fishnpreacher for selling me the boat.
      @browniez and @philhutch1980 for answering nothing short of a million questions. And swampy and the misses for leading me to get the skunk off.

Seriously, a lot of a great paying it forward karma coming outta ngto. I can't wait until Spencer is out-fishing me on this thing soon.

Big T was going to invite you out, but the manual says no squatch allowed... Only humans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice! Another member of the NGTO Navy is always welcome. Really like that setup.

DD F
        Fly Fisherman - Part Entomologist, Part Meteorologist, Part Ichthyologist, Part Hydrologist, All Liar.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Da's Fishing View Post
          Nice! Another member of the NGTO Navy is always welcome. Really like that setup.

DD F
          Ya think that mebbe it's time to call a gathering of the fleet an' mebbe make a run on the 'Hooch tail water? Yeah, there might be tubers to dodge here and there, but once in awhile they provide some good eye candy. (Other times they look like a rhinoceros in a bathing suit. Saw a couple the other day whose body style could only be described as an "amorphous blob" - looked like two giant amoebas!) And there's plenty of water devoid of those yellow atrocities too.
          If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.

Comment

Glad things are working out for you Steve. That boat looks a lot better sittin' in the Hooch than it did sittin' in my back yard.
            And go ahead and get it all covered with fish slime, makes it look even better!
            BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
            Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

Originally posted by fishnpreacher View Post

And go ahead and get it all covered with fish slime, makes it look even better!

That's the goal bill. That's the goal...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X