Drought Buster???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drought Buster???

I hope everyone had as much time out on the water for Labor Day as I got! River was VERY fishy this weekend. I got out sunday evening with @b5fish and we made plans to hit Jones Bridge at sunrise. So we did!!!

Absolutely gorgeous morning on the river and the fishing started off slowly in between the sun coming up and the slowly receding fog banks that were just a blast to fish through as they lasted until almost 1030am. We floated from Jones Bridge to the end of Horseshoe Bend with b5fish catching a nice 18" brown that managed to flop before we could get a good picture. We did get these fish in the boat though. Spectactular colors and small sampling of what fall is bringing us...

After a sampling of these fish we decided to give it one more run to see if the water had fallen out yet back up towards Jones Bridge. In fact it had but not as much as I would have suspected, still may have been about a foot max above low flows.
    We got up by the island and started drifting down and could see the river extremely active with kayaks and boats about and hikers and fisher people along the shore. As we floated back down I was working a particular section of river and had a very HARD take. The fish immediately pulled drag and went airborn showing itself to be a good 18-20in fish BUT it gave a strong headshake and threw back my offering at me. For some reason, I have had a hard time keeping big fish pinned lately and this did not help my case. After the brief frustration wore off, I got back to it.
    Made a long cast and as it was about 1/2 way back, another STRONG hit occurred. This fish felt solid and powerful as she stripped drag immediately. I let Mark know that I needed a net man as it was what felt like a big fish. Sure enough about 15-20ft from the boat we got a glimpse of her as I worked her in. She ran under the boat a couple times pulling drag. Mark shot in with the net but she juked and missed. She tried another run under the boat but she realized the futility of it and went airborn and when she did, Mark got her in the net!!!
    Until she was in the net, I had been in a big fish drought for almost a year. No more though!!! She taped in at 24" length without the tail folded in the net and had an 18" girth on her. By the size calculator she weighed around 9.72lbs. Absolutely stunned by catching her on nearly low water and she is FAT with this next years class of baby browns. Also have to thank @b5fish for being a great net man and heckuva good steward on the river!!! And yes, she is out there still, so who is gonna go after her next???

Obligatory slo-mo & release video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wow-0N6fvt0
    #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
    -Chinese Proverb

“At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.”
    -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
    -PH

Wow. What a great catch! Congratulations. Makes me want to get a boat...
    Hi my name is Charles and I'm a fishaholic.

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith

Comment

That's a pretty fish. Nice work.
      @glennmau

Comment

She sure is pretty! Glad she's back in the depths ready to spawn and hopefully she'll be caught and released sometime in the future

Comment

Fat girl. **** nice work.

Comment

That is one beautiful brown. Well done.

Comment

Nice work Phil.
              Pretty fish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great write up and nice fish!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Great fish dude.

Those of you that want one, the man has been doing the right things, putting in hours, and fishing hard. Doing all that still doesn’t guarantee you one like that even ONCE A YEAR! A lot of grinding, and coming back to the river early and late for that fish.
                    I like em big fat and sloppy.

Comment

Great fish on fly or spin gear either way a great catch. Yes you have to pay your river dues ti catch the big ones

Comment

Thanks guys! Hopefully with turnover starting and the fish becoming more active as we move closer to spawn that there will be some other quality fish this size and bigger come out. Aside from Browniez' Triangle Face and this Betty here, nobody has sniffed 30in this year yet and people like myself and Alex are putting in the work as he stated. Fish like these come from getting up at 4:30am to go hike and fish or float before work or after work and on the weekends. But all it takes is one cast to change that! It is an intoxicating feeling that I hope everyone gets to experience once in their lives!
                        #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
                        -Chinese Proverb

“At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.”
                        -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
                        -PH

Comment

Most impressive catch IMO this year due to the huge fishing pressing at Jones Bridge! Congrats!
                          "If you aren`t fishing out West.... well you`re just plain fishing"

Comment

Good one, Phil!

Comment

Boga Dave got one this year that was every bit the fish triangle face was, probably a better fish than mine. Zach caught a heckuva 27 this year too with Aaron. There’s probably some old fellow that catches a couple of 30 inchers a year and frys em up.

Trophy is in the eye of the beholder you guys. If someone catches their biggest ever Hooch brown that happens to be 17”, cheer loudly!

We have a blessing of a river to go through the “Big Brown Progression” on. It ain’t a competition (okay maybe a little amongst our small groups of friends).

Fish against the fish, and let’s all get together drinking Terrapins telling stories on a gravel bar! Hopefully with some lunchtime fish like “The Slumpbuster”.
                              I like em big fat and sloppy.

Comment

Working...
                              X