X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chattahoochee master plan aims to recreate Beltline magic on river

Ambitious, to say the least.

Chattahoochee master plan aims to recreate Beltline magic on river

Advocates of an ambitious plan to develop a network of linear parks and trails along a vast stretch of the Chattahoochee River say it holds the promise to transform the metro region in the way the Beltline changed Atlanta.

The Chattahoochee River Greenway Study, administered by the Atlanta Regional Commission in conjunction with local communities and nonprofits, proposes to expand and connect existing greenspace to create a 100-mile corridor from Lake Lanier to Newnan.

ďWith the continued growth of Atlanta, thereís a realization that across the metro area we donít have enough park land and really donít have enough great public spaces,Ē said George Dusenbury, the Georgia director for the Trust for Public Land, a driving force behind the movement.

Such a sprawling project could stoke competing business interests who profit from the river and test the ability of a diverse set of communities to work together toward a common vision for the Chattahoochee, which historically has been seen as a dividing line more than an amenity.

The regional commission is expected to announce a firm in the next few weeks to develop the $1.5 million master plan. The cost of implementing that plan is unknown, but will likely be paid for with local tax dollars and some federal matching funds.
    "What's his offense?"
    "Groping for trouts in a peculiar river."
    ― William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

Hmmm

" .... holds the promise to transform the metro region in the way the Beltline changed Atlanta. ...."

I never heard anyone refer to 285 as the beltline, usually it's the outer-belt or just 285 or something profane. So this promise to transform as I-285 did, should this be seen as a promise or a threat?

Comment

Hey johnkies, I belive you're an out-of-towner now but no, people haven't started referring to 285 as the beltline..youre correct.
      The "beltline" refers to the unused train tracks that have been reclaimed/repurposed as walking and biking paths circling the heart of atlanta.

https://beltline.org/map/

It's pretty cool and has stoked a lot of business development, arts and culture, etc. But is in progress and definitely has its drawbacks.

- - - -

In terms of trying something similar on the hooch, I'm not going to comment until I see the master plan. My initial impression is that:
      - it would be great for businesses, tourism, etc.
      - bad for fishing, as we already know how much development has negatively impacted this river over the last few decades.
      - A far-fetched argument I could see coming about would be something along the lines of "if more people had improved access to know and appreciate the river, they would take more care of it in the long run". Unfortunately I don't have that much faith in humanity on matters like this

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
      _yero on instagram

Comment

I would be happy if they just trimmed the weeds in the Paces Mill parking lot.
        Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
        Simple Goat Herder
        Former NGTO President
        Hall of Fame Member

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Henry View Post
          I would be happy if they just trimmed the weeds in the Paces Mill parking lot.
          I couldn't have said it better!!!!
          "Be patient and calm - for no one can catch fish in anger." - Herbert Hoover

Comment

I know the focus is on a trail but living downtown near the Beltline and seeing the progress made, there are TONS of restaurants and businesses that have popped up directly upon the Beltline. Iím hoping these developers donít plan on having something similar along the river. That would totally kill the natural feel. Cool concept and we definitely have a leg up on potentially helping out over at least 38mi of tailwaters.
            #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
            -Chinese Proverb

ďAt sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.Ē
            -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
            -PH

Comment

I think Joni Mitchell said something about this issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94bdMSCdw20

Comment

On a somewhat related subject, a manager in the Forsyth county Parks admin operation told me a couple of years ago there were plans to have a trail along the Hooch from McGinnis Ferry to the Dam at sometimes in the future. As some of you know the Waste Treatment Dept. ability to prevent us from traveling up the trail along the river has been a burr in my saddle ever since it happened.
                Want to hear God laugh? Tell Him your plans.

Comment

"Private developers have also sensed an opportunity, with large residential developments in the works on both sides of the river."

Last nail in the coffin for the Chattahoochee.

Comment

RIP Hooch 😥

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Here is how Cobb County felt about letting Atlanta encroach across the river.

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/actua...TPWjRu88sIQrO/

Comment

Originally posted by The Ole Man View Post
                        Here is how Cobb County felt about letting Atlanta encroach across the river.

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/actua...TPWjRu88sIQrO/

Literally a government firebreak. That's interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        "I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
                        -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

"Stop Whining"

Comment

We had a nice couple buy the house next to ours a few years back up here in north Cobb. When I heard they were from Chicago, I jokingly asked them if they were Democrats. When they replied yes, I said "didn't you see the signs at the county line?"
                          Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
                          Simple Goat Herder
                          Former NGTO President
                          Hall of Fame Member

Comment

Working...
                          X