Prepping for the Maiden Voyage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prepping for the Maiden Voyage

It's taken about 4 months but I've finally got my jon boat ready for its first serious trout fishing trip on the hooch. I've been out between Azalea and Island Ford about 5 times getting used to the new motor, learning how the dam affects things, and getting confident fishing while also piloting a drift and I think I'm ready to take it to the special reg section of the river this weekend. It'll be my first time ever on that stretch and I wanted to see if yall have any advice for a first timer.

My plan is to launch at Abbot's bridge and motor up to the mcginnis ferry bridge before drifting back. First, can I launch a full sized trailer at Abbot's? If not, where's the best spot on that stretch to do so? Second, can I use treble hooks (always barbless) in the special reg areas? Third, are there any shoals/shallow spots I should be aware of? Fourth, does the one rod rule mean I can only fish one rod at a time or does it mean I can only have one rod per person even if I'm only fishing one of them at a time?

I appreciate any other advice y'all have to give. Hopefully I'll see some of yall out there on Saturday. Look for the big guy in the little blue boat.

Originally posted by muddy waters View Post
    It's taken about 4 months but I've finally got my jon boat ready for its first serious trout fishing trip on the hooch. I've been out between Azalea and Island Ford about 5 times getting used to the new motor, learning how the dam affects things, and getting confident fishing while also piloting a drift and I think I'm ready to take it to the special reg section of the river this weekend. It'll be my first time ever on that stretch and I wanted to see if yall have any advice for a first timer.
    Cool. That's a fun stretch of water to fish. Thanks to @Swampangel, @Browniez, and @Philhutch for helping me out on the river and giving me the confidence to motor and float that section by myself and with my 7 year old and also with my research student.

My plan is to launch at Abbot's bridge and motor up to the mcginnis ferry bridge before drifting back. First, can I launch a full sized trailer at Abbot's?
    YES.

Second, can I use treble hooks (always barbless) in the special reg areas?
    YES. And no 'need' to debarb them. That's not part of the regs. It's artificial only, not catch and release.

Third, are there any shoals/shallow spots I should be aware of?
    YES. I was fortunate enough to go with swamp angel guiding and pointing out the spots in CRYSTAL clear water. Right now, the water is between light stained green and full on opaque green... depth visibility is about 2 feet max, IMHO. Be careful. Go slow. PM Swampangel who knows that stretch like the back of his hand. I'd recommend doing at low water first to be safe, but that's your call.

Fourth, does the one rod rule mean I can only fish one rod at a time or does it mean I can only have one rod per person even if I'm only fishing one of them at a time?
    Can only fish on rod at a time, but can have multiple on the vessel. That's what many of us do. [/QUOTE]

I appreciate any other advice y'all have to give. Hopefully I'll see some of yall out there on Saturday. Look for the big guy in the little blue boat.
    Good luck and make sure to make a post about your success and of your boat!

Comment

Thanks for the answers, splatek. I'll be sure to document the trip for all y'all but I can't guarantee that I'll be posting any fish pics. Not that I don't have a phone full of them but it seems like y'all prefer trout and I don't want to give away any of my bluegill honey holes.

Comment

Thanks for the answers, splatek. I'll be sure to document the trip for all y'all but I can't guarantee that I'll be posting any fish pics. Not that I don't have a phone full of them but it seems like y'all prefer trout and I don't want to give away any of my bluegill honey holes.
        We prefer two eyes, a tail, and a wiggle in the middle round these parts!

If you see a silver jet boat covered with stickers holler at me.
        I like em big fat and sloppy.

Comment

Originally posted by browniez View Post
          We prefer two eyes, a tail, and a wiggle in the middle round these parts!

If you see a silver jet boat covered with stickers holler at me.
          Will do. I've seen you post about getting through Shakerag with that thing. Where/what exactly is that and how hard would it be to get past in a boat that can get through anything that's more than 12 inches deep? I max out at 4.5 mph upstream if that makes a difference.

Comment

Will do. I've seen you post about getting through Shakerag with that thing. Where/what exactly is that and how hard would it be to get past in a boat that can get through anything that's more than 12 inches deep? I max out at 4.5 mph upstream if that makes a difference.
            I would only take your boat on low water if that is the case. 4.5mph is SLOOOOWWWW against a current. If you can lighten your boat up any that will help. What kind of boat do you have?
            #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
            -Chinese Proverb

ďAt sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.Ē
            -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
            -PH

Comment

Originally posted by Philhutch80 View Post
              I would only take your boat on low water if that is the case. 4.5mph is SLOOOOWWWW against a current. If you can lighten your boat up any that will help. What kind of boat do you have?

It's a 12ft rhyan craft flat-bottom jon. I think was built in 1981 and its been in the family for 3 generations mostly doing pond work below the fall line. It's only rated for a 5hp and I've got a 3.6 on it right now. 4.5mph is definitely slow but I'm careful to put in when the flow is lower than 2500cfs and/or falling. The plus side to going that slow is I can get a real crisp image of the banks with the side scan sonar on the way up.

It sure doesn't compete with the jetboats but it'll smoke an unpowered driftboat going upstream.

Comment

My first boat was a 12 ft. jon boat that my buddies and I caught a ton of farm pond bass out of in Mississippi. I'm guessing your naked boat is around 100#, which is pretty light. Be careful not to get sideways in fast water or you could be floating downstream upside down. The Hooch is not a farm pond, the power of fast water is amazing.
                Want to hear God laugh? Tell Him your plans.

Comment

Given your rig as you described below, you would be much better served getting out and pulling the boat over the rapid all the way to the far left. I used to do it in my 14 footer. Not too bad.

Going up the middle probably wouldnít work for you with that motor, and it really is dangerous. Iíve almost flipped, seen other flip. Itís just a lot of water moving real fast.

Comment

Originally posted by browniez View Post
                    Given your rig as you described below, you would be much better served getting out and pulling the boat over the rapid all the way to the far left. I used to do it in my 14 footer. Not too bad.

Going up the middle probably wouldnít work for you with that motor, and it really is dangerous. Iíve almost flipped, seen other flip. Itís just a lot of water moving real fast.
                    I'll keep that in mind, its easy enough to pull that its not worth it to shoot rapids. Where's it located?

Comment

I'll keep that in mind, its easy enough to pull that its not worth it to shoot rapids. Where's it located?
                      If you go all the way left of the bank it can be done pretty easy. I always thought it was a much safer option, and not too much trouble.

This is coming from someone not exactly known for having an abundance of caution.

Comment

You can approach Shakerag in the middle left, get out, wade up above the shoal, and rope it up the tongue on the far left. You need a long rope. The hardest part is to get moving again before you get pushed back down, a buddy helps a lot to hold the boat while you get the motor going. Still, with so little hp, you are going to have a hard time pulling away from the shoal. Going back down is tricky too. You should probably do that down the same tongue, you just have to be ready to go hard left after the drop to avoid the rock wall.

Having said all that, you really don't have enough power to be running Shakerag or any other tricky shoals, up or down, and I personally would not recommend doing this in your boat as it sits. I wouldn't be scared to put a 9.9 on the boat despite what the plate says, that would totally change your game.

FM
                        The tug is the drug!

"Grow a pear!" - Groundpounder

Comment

Originally posted by fishmonger View Post
                          You can approach Shakerag in the middle left, get out, wade up above the shoal, and rope it up the tongue on the far left. You need a long rope. The hardest part is to get moving again before you get pushed back down, a buddy helps a lot to hold the boat while you get the motor going. Still, with so little hp, you are going to have a hard time pulling away from the shoal. Going back down is tricky too. You should probably do that down the same tongue, you just have to be ready to go hard left after the drop to avoid the rock wall.

Having said all that, you really don't have enough power to be running Shakerag or any other tricky shoals, up or down, and I personally would not recommend doing this in your boat as it sits. I wouldn't be scared to put a 9.9 on the boat despite what the plate says, that would totally change your game.

FM
                          Thanks for the tip. I think I found Shakerag on the map (right above McGinnis ferry Rd?) and I think I'll just make it the point where I start drifting back to the ramp. No point running rapids when I've got 4 miles of flat water to fish.

Comment

Great idea
                            I caught twenty fish today
                            Mostly rainbows, but a few, and one big (20+) brown in that stretch today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'll give my .02 but it will probably be in alignment with most others here. Don't mess with shakerag. Just too much bad can happen for that little boat and that little motor. Plenty of good fishing water below it.

Putting in at Abbotts isn't going to be an issue but watch that first fast run below the bridge. If your motor can make it past that then you're okay for beyond that.

If you were running a faster motor, I'd suggest finding someone to run with you first time as there are some submerged objects that can come up on you fast at speed. With you speed limits, just pay very close attention to the water while you run.

Otherwise that is a fun section. Same invitation as the others, if you see a green Gheenoe on the water, Hoochee Mama on the side wave and say hi.

DD F
                              Fly Fisherman - Part Entomologist, Part Meteorologist, Part Ichthyologist, Part Hydrologist, All Liar.

Comment

Working...
                              X