No announcement yet.

Herring Alive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think we need to introduce striper into the Buford tailwater to take care of this herring introduction!

I saw some blueback herring yesterday both live ones and dead ones in the tailwater yesterday.

Comment

So does that mean I should go somewhere other than the tailwater to fish this weekend? I don't have a streamer rod... Maybe the Toccoa? Anybody been there lately?

Comment

Originally posted by Dsaporsky View Post
        So does that mean I should go somewhere other than the tailwater to fish this weekend? I don't have a streamer rod... Maybe the Toccoa? Anybody been there lately?
        I didn't have any luck tossing streamers the other day - although having it break off my weak little nymphing rod didn't help, I guess. Buggers have been doing ok, but really, I've still been having luck on smaller bugs. The bows that are still left will crush a well presented bug; the browns have been getting after them as well.

I will be interested to see if our study shows an increase in fish bones in the guts of the browns as a function of date. I sure hope they ARE eating those herring so that they get chunky, fat, and grow... I'm ready to swap from 6x to 5x, or 4x in order to wrangle in larger, on average, browns... that would be awesome.

All that being said, you might want to avoid the TW because with this weather, I would predict the tube hatch would be in full swing. Last weekend it wasn't terrible: a few folks shared beer and one girl tried to climb in the boat (I have that effect on women, BAHAHAHA), but this might be the last hoorah for tubers... Makes for good slalom, just ask Swamp Angel

Comment

Originally posted by splatek16 View Post
          Last weekend it wasn't terrible: a few folks shared beer and one girl tried to climb in the boat (I have that effect on women, BAHAHAHA),
          Pictures required or it didnít happen
          BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
          Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

Originally posted by groundpounder View Post
            I think we need to introduce striper into the Buford tailwater to take care of this herring introduction!

I saw some blueback herring yesterday both live ones and dead ones in the tailwater yesterday.

Stripers up around Suwanee Creek were rumored several years ago, don't know if there was any validity to the rumor or not. There was a very large white carp in the area that could have been mistaken for a striper.

But before you wish for stripers north of Morgan Falls, remember they think trout taste like chicken.
            Want to hear God laugh? Tell Him your plans.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleJesse View Post

But before you wish for stripers north of Morgan Falls, remember they think trout taste like chicken.
              So do big browns.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleJesse View Post
                Stripers up around Suwanee Creek were rumored several years ago, don't know if there was any validity to the rumor or not. There was a very large white carp in the area that could have been mistaken for a striper.

Fishmonger and I both saw the Stripe at SC back then. Was a good 5-7lb fish.
                Dennis C...""Giving Stripers everywhere a bad day!!""

Comment

Originally posted by FairWeatherFisherman View Post
                  So do big browns.
                  But, big browns beget baby browns, striper just eat and run or possibly produce more stripers.
                  Want to hear God laugh? Tell Him your plans.

Comment

Stripers go through dams so there are probably some north of Morgan Falls

Comment

Working...
                    X