Abbott’s Bridge Boat Ramp Drop Off

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abbott’s Bridge Boat Ramp Drop Off

Dropped my Towee in Wednesday night and didn’t realize how dramatic the drop off is from the concrete ramp to the river bed...basically bottomed out the trailer and had to lift the trailer wheels and lodge a few large rocks to get it back up and to pull out...obviously didn’t pull back as far when I left and used the wench...lesson learned for there and other places going forward.

Wanted to post in case others can avoid the mistake!

Adding some rock woulld also be nice...but not sure if the park service would make that call

Bright side is the bite was pretty good!
    Roswellangler

Hey. Were you the one in the jeep with 2 other friends? I think I met you as I was pulling out with my son.

I had the same problem also in low water. I usually get to the edge and just push my boat out.
    Hi my name is Charles and I'm a fishaholic.

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith

Comment

When I'm at a ramp I'm not sure of, I take my waders and a handle off of an old spade with me. I wade down to the end of the ramp and use the handle to determine how dramatic the drop off is. My jet boat only needs a tiny bit of trailer to be in the water to recover, but to get it off the trailer, I almost have to float it off.

This other thing wouldn't work at Abbots, because there is no room, but on other ramps it is sometimes possible to drop in on a bank that is close by rather than getting hung on the ramp.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander.Foti View Post
        ...obviously didn’t pull back as far when I left and used the wench...
        Didn't she object to such abuse?

(Sorry, couldn't resist...to quote Flip Wilson, "The Devil made me do it.")
        "What's his offense?"
        "Groping for trouts in a peculiar river."
        ― William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

Comment

I think it’s just a rule of flow and sediment physics that any ramp laid perpendicular to current is going to have some nasty erosion on the end after a while. A particularly bad example is the Dyars Marsh ramp on the Oconee river just north of the lake. It’s on the outside of a right angle bend and the fish finder tells me there’s a 15ft hole about 6ft past the end of the concrete.

My boat is maybe 200lbs fully laden so I stop backing in the second I see that back end start lifting. It’s a strain some days but a lot better than the alternative.

Comment

I was in a GMC Acadia so must have been a different crew!

As you all shared, will take extra precautions going forward. It was an easy fix but could have made for a painful day.
            Roswellangler

Comment

I would be FAR FAR less concerned with the Abbott's ramp when you compare it to McGinnis Ferry at low water. My recommendation is to put your motor up launching there(McGinnis). All ramps along the TW are easier to unload the boat from as you just do not have to go in as far. For me, loading my boat I need to ensure that at least 60-70% of the bunks are covered before I entertain loading the boat.
              #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
              -Chinese Proverb

“At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.”
              -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
              -PH

Comment

Abbott’s Bridge Boat Ramp Drop Off

Y'all can also just pickup a can of silicon spray and spray your bunks down every few launches. However, once you do this, DONT UNHOOK THE WINCH STRAP till your trailer tires are in the water. It's a great recipe for boats on pavement if you're not careful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                "I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
                -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

"Stop Whining"

Comment

10/4 on the slickness side note keep a line connected to your watercraft cause current will pull your boat off your trailer.

Comment

yeah I've gotten in the habit of just tying my bowline to a cleat in the bed and just backing my drift boat down and letting the current carry it down stream on shallow ramps. On steep ramps the roller works great though. Even for my setup abbotts is annoying though.

"Stop Whining"

Comment

Originally posted by troutbum69 View Post
                      yeah I've gotten in the habit of just tying my bowline to a cleat in the bed and just backing my drift boat down and letting the current carry it down stream on shallow ramps. On steep ramps the roller works great though. Even for my setup abbotts is annoying though.
                      I need to see you unload there. I do not recall seeing a drift boat launch from there come to think of it. I think I want to go UHD on my bunks.
                      #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
                      -Chinese Proverb

“At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.”
                      -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
                      -PH

Comment

Haven't launched at abbotts in a long while. Got real sick of the abbotts to Medlock stretch. If it's dead low tide I don't think I can float off but any higher and it will if I remember correctly

"Stop Whining"

Comment

Just find a spot and build your own.
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkCZj-Ds4YQ

Comment

So I'm pretty sure they got that boat there in a trailer. Seems like they could've eased it down on the winch?

"Stop Whining"

Comment

That wouldn't make as big a splash.

Comment

Working...
                              X