First brown for TH18

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First brown for TH18

After Spencer's peewee football team, that went undefeated in the regular season, won their first playoff game yesterday, I decided I was going to hit a stream. I was all packed up to hit one of my favorite small streams, and maybe try to scout a deer.... I'm trying to learn how to hunt. It's pretty laughable without someone to show me the way, but thanks to buckman1 who's been helping with great advice, I'm starting to learn a little more. At any rate, that plan got changed when @Trout Hunter 18 texted me to ask if I was fishing. After a few short texts and a phone call we decided to meet up at the river after he swung by Alpharetta Outfitters for some waders. I wet waded, it was gorgeous.

The fish were biting, but TH18 was having a little trouble getting one. He suggested I use his rod- a gem, TFO- to see if i could get one on his rig. I set him up with a twelve foot tenkara rod rigged with two small nymphs and an air lock indicator. After replacing his indicator with a half inch size air lock and adding some 6X tippet, and a few experiences flies, I started casting his rod. I know sooner cast and I heard him handling a splashing rainbow next to me.

After a short while and catching a few browns on his rod, he suggested we swap back and it wasn't more than a dozen casts and he'd hooked into his very first brown trout. A real wild Chattahoochee wild brown trout.

I think he ended up with 4-6 in the short time we were fishing. It was good to see him catch that first brown.

Great day, IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice! Let the addiction begin.
    I like em big fat and sloppy.

Comment

Browniez was your brown in your avatar caught on the hooch also?

Comment

Congrats on the first hooch brown, which is just the first of many more to come and soon you'll be addicted like the rest of us around here!

Comment

First brown for TH18

TH18, nice fish. Smart to fish with Steve, as he slays the Hooch regardless of whatever rod/gear/flies he has in the car that day. Well done, both of you.
          Last edited by 3-wt; 10-21-18, 11:40 AM.
          "A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined..." George Washington

Comment

Splatek, thanks for the great trip. Who knew going from a 4x to a 6x tippet and smaller indicator made the difference. I went from no bites to catching fish. Your flies helped also. You caught 20 or more and I only caught a few. Had a great time though. Will catch more with experience on the hooch. Would also like to catch one of the big browns on a wooly bugger or big streamer.

Comment

Originally posted by Trout Hunter 18 View Post
              Browniez was your brown in your avatar caught on the hooch also?
              Yes, it was caught and released here.
              I like em big fat and sloppy.

Comment

Doesnít matter your age, Browns can be addictive! Wait til you have one chase and hook up and you see it! Welcome to the club! May you find your unicorn pig!
                #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
                -Chinese Proverb

ďAt sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.Ē
                -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
                -PH

Comment

Originally posted by Philhutch80 View Post
                  Doesnít matter your age, Browns can be addictive! Wait til you have one chase and hook up and you see it! Welcome to the club! May you find your unicorn pig!
                  Phil do you get the bigger browns on streamers and boogers on the hooch?

Comment

Phil do you get the bigger browns on streamers and boogers on the hooch?
                    And conventional tackle as well. My outlook on fishing is Iím an optimizer- I will use whichever technique is currently giving me the best chance at the biggest fish I am hunting for. Streamers definitely work! Heck most of the articulated flies that are around today are based upon the classic wooly bugger. When you begin tying, thatíll be one of the first patterns I recommend to tie. It was definitely one of mine. Just remember that no matter how ugly the fly is in your eye(especially if itís one of your first you tied) it may not mean a thing to a fish if they are hongry.
                    #JBNavy

-Chinese Proverb

-Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
                    -PH

Comment

Very cool. Awesome job to both of you.

Comment

Awesome and congrats to TH18 on his first Hooch brown.

And Steve.... wet waded? D*mn... I feel the shrinkage just thinking about wet wading with the cold front that we're having now. haha
                        Hi my name is Charles and I'm a fishaholic.

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith

Comment

Yes Steve did say that he was getting a little chilled when the wind was blowing on Saturday. Sunday would be a bring the waders day.

Learned a good bit from him. Great guy. Looking forward to many more trips on the hooch.

If you are on the hooch or any river or creak in Georgia. If you catch small trout or a pig. Just being out in nature is worth it.

We ended up seeing two deer, 4 Canadian Geese, and a Blue Heron fishing.

Comment

Yes Steve did say that he was getting a little chilled when the wind was blowing on Saturday. Sunday would be a bring the waders day.

Learned a good bit from him. Great guy. Looking forward to many more trips on the hooch.

If you are on the hooch or any river or creak in Georgia. If you catch small trout or a pig. Just being out in nature is worth it.

We ended up seeing two deer, 4 Canadian Geese, and a Blue Heron fishing.
                            Yeah. Being on the the river is such a blessing. Even though we're in the suburbs, while floating it mostly feels like I'm in the middle of nowhere.

My son and I actually saw an Osprey diving for fish this weekend. My kids get excited just to see ducks on the river so you can imagine how excited he was when we saw the osprey.
                            Hi my name is Charles and I'm a fishaholic.

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith

Comment

Originally posted by ChaChung View Post
                              Yeah. Being on the the river is such a blessing. Even though we're in the suburbs, while floating it mostly feels like I'm in the middle of nowhere.

My son and I actually saw an Osprey diving for fish this weekend. My kids get excited just to see ducks on the river so you can imagine how excited he was when we saw the osprey.
                              Just wait, it actually gets better when you learn to navigate the whole river. You can literally choose sections where even on a busy nice day, you might only see one or two other people if any at all. That is usually when you see the wildlife. Heck a month ago when it was raining on a sunday morning, I went past this blowdown with a big root ball that had soil piled on top with grass all over it. There was a canine of some sort on top of it and I could not tell if it was alive or dead or a fox or coyote. I got within bout 25ft before it stood up and retreated back shoreward. Healthy looking coyote for sure. I have definitely been able to find solitude amongst the 7.5 million people that surround me. Truly is such a huge blessing.
                              #JBNavy

-Chinese Proverb

-Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
                              -PH

Comment

Working...
                              X