New angler gets HER first (brown) trout

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dude that is awesome!

I love taking new people fishing. I think my experience is more in line with others tho. I took 3 newbies out this summer, and only one of them caught something!
    I do alot of prepping them for failure haha... ("man it'll be great just to be out here right?" "Even if we don't catch something it's beautiful out right?") Lol

I think it's a combination of I'm not thattt great myself yet, and like someone else said: it's hard not to fish myself. I often think, "well if I catch one then at least we'll be on the board and they'll get to see a fish caught"

I should bail on that mentality though and just stick by their side to "guide" them more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    _yero on instagram

Comment

When Splatek and I went on the hooch. It was my first time fishing the hooch. He caught about 20 trout. I only caught 5 but had fun. He had us fishing a fly called experience that he tied for us to fish. The trout could not resist it.

I had never caught a brown and caught one that trip. Splatek is a great teacher.

Comment

Originally posted by orey10m View Post
        Dude that is awesome!

I love taking new people fishing. I think my experience is more in line with others tho. I took 3 newbies out this summer, and only one of them caught something!
        I do alot of prepping them for failure haha... ("man it'll be great just to be out here right?" "Even if we don't catch something it's beautiful out right?") Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Haha. I've had people tell me that, but I take a different strategy, what I'll call the Spencer strategy: 100% optimism. I figure I will deal with disappointment after the fact, like, "Dang, we fished the heck outta that water and didn't even get a bite, I wonder how others are doing?" But I find the optimism works; it allays any "stress" or "worry" folks have about catching a fish and allows them to just have some fun. And don't get me wrong, when the going gets tough, I certainly remind them of the surroundings' beauty. We saw a bunch of does the other day and that about made the students' day as well.

Originally posted by Trout Hunter 18 View Post

I had never caught a brown and caught one that trip. Splatek is a great teacher.
        Cheers man!
        It is my chosen profession. HAHA!

Comment

Just to tag on....Good job Steve!
          If anyone is interested in mentoring or just trying to get someone hooked up on their first trout, the DH is IDEAL! Early DH season will find lots of fish, good weather, and favorable conditions. Like small streams? Head to Smith Creek. Rather fish larger water? The Hooch is waiting.
          GATA!!
          BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
          Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

My 11 yr old daughter caught her first three trout a couple weeks ago. Ear to ear smiles all day! She told me, "Dad, not to be punny but I'm hooked!"
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X