New angler gets HER first (brown) trout

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New angler gets HER first (brown) trout

I'm not sure what's come over me lately, but I've been doing as much, maybe more, fishing with newer folks than I have actually fishing for my own enjoyment. I'll have to fix that (just kidding).

Sara recently joined the genetics side of the research project and when the team was chatting she indicated that while she had fished in the past work her dad, never for trout and never on the fly. I tossed out the kind invite, she accepted. Early conversations revolved around things like waders, water condition, gear. I told her no waders, it's still warm, and that is track the release and supply the gear.

I started her like I started Spencer and every body else I've shown fly fishing to: using a tenkara rod rigged with an, air lock indicator and two small midges, a moonshine and an experience. She was a trooper, never mentioning that the water was too cold. She's short so she needed to hold my hand while wading thru current, but eventually I got her to a spot I know there are fish (pretty much every where in the river). I showed her the basics of the water load cast, keeping line off the water, and honing in on that indicator as sharply as possible. I stood by her giving her little tips here and there

There were several misses, but once she got the hang of the movement of the indicator it was on

Obligatory fish lips

Smiles, fish, sun.
    All in all, couldn't have been a better day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
    -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

"Stop Whining"

Comment

Great job on the brown. Splatek is a great teacher.

Splatek you know how to catch trout on the hooch. Did you get any?

Comment

Cool, awesome seeing new folks out there and great job with the assist. I will probably venture out tomorrow for the first time in forever.
        http://www.bigtflyfishing.com

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off

Comment

Very nice work sir. Glad to see new faces smiling with a trout in hand!
          I like em big fat and sloppy.

Comment

Nice! Always awesome to see new people learning the craft

Comment

She's cute; invite her to the Fling!
              Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
              Simple Goat Herder
              Former NGTO President
              Hall of Fame Member

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Henry View Post
                She's cute; invite her to the Fling!

Hey buck

"I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
                -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

"Stop Whining"

Comment

Buck: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
                  We are trying to bring her into the angling world, asking her to come to an old man gathering... I'm pretty sure she'd run like Forest Gump.

Thanks guys, Honestly, even though Dredger has told me since day one of flyfishing that it's as rewarding to teach the craft as to execute it, outside of Spencer, it's not been until recently that I've started to try it out. I can't lie, sometimes, it's hard to not fish... but watching the face of someone that gets that first brown... it's fun!
                  What was maybe even more fun is that she caught one before and caught more than my male research student! So we were able to make fun of him the entire walk back to the truck! She was loving every minute of it.

Comment

That is funny that she caught more than your research student. A bonus with fishing with you is that you fish the hooch a lot an know where the trout are located.

Have you ever eaten any of the brown or bows out of the hooch? My son Hudson wants me to bring some home to eat next time I catch some.

Comment

Originally posted by Trout Hunter 18 View Post
                      That is funny that she caught more than your research student. A bonus with fishing with you is that you fish the hooch a lot an know where the trout are located.

Have you ever eaten any of the brown or bows out of the hooch? My son Hudson wants me to bring some home to eat next time I catch some.
                      Yeah. I have eaten and taught spencer how to gut a trout from the hooch.
                      Medium sized 10-13' browns taste best to me.

I don't do it often, but I do it. and I eat the Rainbows more than the browns for the simple fact: that's why they are put in there.

Comment

Yes cleaning a trout is very fast and easy. Would also be nice to fish with you and Spence some time. He would probably beat both of us.

Comment

Awesome that you're teaching others. I have gotten a couple of people started but I never have the patience to really stick with them until they catch fish. haha

Splatek, I noticed you haven't been on your boat much. Do you just prefer to wade fish rather than to float?
                          Hi my name is Charles and I'm a fishaholic.

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith

Comment

Steve, well done. It's definitely rewarding to show someone the basics, have them catch some trouts, and see their excitement. Awesome.
                            "A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined..." George Washington

Comment

Originally posted by Trout Hunter 18 View Post
                              Yes cleaning a trout is very fast and easy. Would also be nice to fish with you and Spence some time. He would probably beat both of us.
                              That would be fun. And yes, yes he would.

Originally posted by ChaChung View Post
                              Awesome that you're teaching others. I have gotten a couple of people started but I never have the patience to really stick with them until they catch fish. haha

Splatek, I noticed you haven't been on your boat much. Do you just prefer to wade fish rather than to float?
                              Man, I've just been trying to hit various parts of the river to spread out the sampling for the study; spencer and I were just saying yesterday before football practice that we have to get her back on the water soon.

Originally posted by 3-wt View Post
                              Steve, well done. It's definitely rewarding to show someone the basics, have them catch some trouts, and see their excitement. Awesome.
                              ^^Just like you did for me^^
                              You remember that first trip of ours to the wild stream for rainbows. We didn't get maybe 1-2 bows each between us, then we hiked and found some specks! Man, the look on my face must have been priceless.

Comment

Working...
                              X