Boat for the Hooch?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boat for the Hooch?

Needing some advice on what type boat. Canít decide on a jon boat with a 9.9-15 HP or a Flycraft with their small motor or trolling motor. Iím sure there are pros and cons with each. Just wondering if anyone has experience with either.

Boat for the Hooch?

Originally posted by McFall67 View Post
    Needing some advice on what type boat. Canít decide on a jon boat with a 9.9-15 HP or a Flycraft with their small motor or trolling motor. Iím sure there are pros and cons with each. Just wondering if anyone has experience with either.

Fly craft if you want to chase fish in rough water i.e. Hiwassee, dam to McGinnis, Tuckaseegee, little tennessee etc. Jon boat will be much more versatile in this part of the world but you can't run rivers like listed before.

Edit: basically for the hooch from McGinnis down a jon boat is fine. Just can't run the shoal above jones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
    -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

"Stop Whining"

Comment

Either one is better than no floating. Depends on what your ďsecondaryĒ adventures would be like TB69 said.

If you think you may want to hit electric only lakes or other small lakes then the Jon boat is the move.
      I like em big fat and sloppy.

Comment

Thanks for the insights. I was thinking about from jones up to the **** and possibly a little below Morgan Falls dam for stripes some when they make their run

Comment

I run a 12ft Jon with a 3.6hp on the upper tailrace. Iíve only taken it out about ten times since I got the motor but it does well. Iíd definitely get a bigger outboard if I had to do it again but even that size handles the current in normal fishing conditions

Comment

Originally posted by McFall67 View Post
            Thanks for the insights. I was thinking about from jones up to the **** and possibly a little below Morgan Falls dam for stripes some when they make their run

Yeah so in all those waters a flycraft will work. It will excel in a few places. However the whole ball game is different. Jon boat you launch and come back to the same spot. You can say I'll squeeze in 2hrs fishing. You have to commit to 4-5 hours if you're going to drift anywhere on the hooch if you include shuttling

"Stop Whining"

Comment

Yeah so in all those waters a flycraft will work. It will excel in a few places. However the whole ball game is different. Jon boat you launch and come back to the same spot. You can say I'll squeeze in 2hrs fishing. You have to commit to 4-5 hours if you're going to drift anywhere on the hooch if you include shuttling

This is key! With a jon, you can motor upstream and float back, and its doable alone (though not recommended). With any type drifter you are at the mercy of the river or body of water you are on, except for rowing of course. A jon is one of the most versatile boats you'll ever own.
              BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
              Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

I can't give advice, except to say I, actually, we (Spencer and I) love out Jon boat. I've never been in a flycraft, but it's my understadning they can take a smaller outboard: https://www.flycraftusa.com/pages/stealth-boat-packages
                It looks to me like on the flycraft you are tied to the seat, maybe stand up in front of the seat, while on many jon boats you have a little room to move, toss a cooler with some snacks and beverages in there, etc...

Comment

Go aluminum Jon boat and make sure if you invest in an older motor that the impeller has been changed, lower unit oil is changed and a big key is to find out if the powerhead has ever had heating issues from poor water circulation. I got my first boat last November(bout to put her up for sale also) and Iíve had trials and tribulations but I love the boat & motor! Time to move into a jet though.

One more thing, learn this well:
                  Break
                  Out
                  Another
                  Thousand
                  Thatís what B.O.A.T. stands for.
                  #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
                  -Chinese Proverb

ďAt sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.Ē
                  -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
                  -PH

Comment

Originally posted by splatek16 View Post
                    I can't give advice, except to say I, actually, we (Spencer and I) love out Jon boat. I've never been in a flycraft, but it's my understadning they can take a smaller outboard: https://www.flycraftusa.com/pages/stealth-boat-packages

It looks to me like on the flycraft you are tied to the seat, maybe stand up in front of the seat, while on many jon boats you have a little room to move, toss a cooler with some snacks and beverages in there, etc...

And just because it accepts a motor doesn't mean you'll be scooting around at 15+ miles an hour either. It's more or less good for saving your energy for 12oz curls through the frog water. Probably would let you putt up stream at 2 mph in a swift current

"Stop Whining"

Comment

There are some questions in life that only you can answer.

Comment

I still have my B-60 Riverhawk for sale with 8HP Johnson and trailer 1600$ delivered.
                        Catch the energy
                        Release the potential

Comment

Originally posted by Brotherbear View Post
                          I still have my B-60 Riverhawk for sale with 8HP Johnson and trailer 1600$ delivered.
                          Are you still trying to sell your Riverhawk?

Comment

Riverhawk is still for sale
                            Catch the energy
                            Release the potential

Comment

Motor

What type of motor do you guys suggest?

Does normal outboard do fine with all the rocks in the river or would a longtail (idk if that is the actual term but I am meaning the same thing as duck boat mud buddy motor)...be a better choice?

Have never taken a boat out in the hooch. I just think about how many times i scrape the bottom on my kayak on accident. Thinking it would be nice to have the longtail to raise it up real quick?

Comment

Working...
                              X