Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Brown November

I guess I'm playing

Went farm pond bass fishing last weekend and since that's the plan next weekend, I was itching to get out somewhere today. Originally wanted to try Lanier but none of my boat friends were going and I dont really like getting out on the lake completely solo.

Anyway, the morning felt weird before I even left the house and really just felt like I should stay home. On the way to the river it still felt that way. I was running late and when I got to Mcginnis lot it was full daylight, and I was sorta surprised no one was there. Heh, laughed at myself considering the conditions. Of course I'm the only idiot to get out on a windy, cold, post frontal bluebird day. Mayor walks by, bag of fish in hand. We waive and I kinda pause and consider for a moment that he is probably in my top 5 fishing buddies. Check him out @mcginnis_mayor on IG... just kidding.

Back the boat down and proceed to kill my starter battery trying to start the motor. It tested 12.6 volts last night but wouldnt spin the starter fast enough to kick the motor over. Troll back to the ramp, swap batteries with my trolling motor and fired right up.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

About that time I notice a head on the rocks and at first thought it was a goat head, since I've heard and read the stories of people finding goats in the river. Quickly realized it's a buck with the rack sawed off.

Officially creeped out. Go on and start fishing but couldn't shake this weird feeling. Fish on down a ways with no action then decide to idle on past some historically unproductive water. Approach a shoaly area and see a deer in the middle of the river. As I get closer I can tell its injured and laying in the river. I should have turned around and just left it there but I was already in the narrow channel and couldn't really get turned around. The spike buck managed to stand and get up the hill and I could tell he had an arrow sticking out of his side.

Wish he could have just had a peaceful death in that water but maybe by going back up to the woods the hunter will find him.

Comment

I'm feeling not just weirded out but kinda bummed at this point and try for some bass in the areas where I usually catch them. Nothing. Its freezing and by now the wind is picking up and putting some chop on the water.

I head back upstream and realize the one downside to adding the console to my boat is that it is really really REALLY cold to stand and drive. May need to start wearing a scarf like Phil.

TL/DR: OP has weird feeling, goes fishing, finds dead/dying animals, doesnt catch anything and was cold.

Comment

At least the leaves were nice

Comment

Originally posted by JerryG View Post
          I'm feeling not just weirded out but kinda bummed at this point and try for some bass in the areas where I usually catch them. Nothing. Its freezing and by now the wind is picking up and putting some chop on the water.

I head back upstream and realize the one downside to adding the console to my boat is that it is really really REALLY cold to stand and drive. May need to start wearing a scarf like Phil.

TL/DR: OP has weird feeling, goes fishing, finds dead/dying animals, doesnt catch anything and was cold.

Dude please, itís a shemagh that Phil likes to rock, not just any old scarf

Cool report

Comment

I just call it a neck gasket.

Saw prolly 40-60 turkey vultures along the river today.
            #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
            -Chinese Proverb

ďAt sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.Ē
            -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
            -PH

Comment

Originally posted by Philhutch80 View Post
              I just call it a neck gasket.

Saw prolly 40-60 turkey vultures along the river today.

mackspw.com

Best windproof apparel out there. 15 bucks for a windproof gaiter. I put mine on when I hit the Grand Prairie and take it off when I leave. Then on again every time on Lanier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              "I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
              -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

"Stop Whining"

Comment

What a crazy story. I was so cold on Saturday! I'm sure you'll have some better days coming up soon.
                Hi my name is Charles and I'm a fishaholic.

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith

Comment

At least the mayor had a good morning. He was probably staring at that head all morning. Dude is a stud.

I hope someone didnít sneak one of those bucks by the ramp illegally. There are some true studs around there. I hope Mr. Greenpants takes a few Sita in the woods there, probably already is.
                  I like em big fat and sloppy.

Comment

Originally posted by JerryG View Post
                    I guess I'm playing

Went farm pond bass fishing last weekend and since that's the plan next weekend, I was itching to get out somewhere today. Originally wanted to try Lanier but none of my boat friends were going and I dont really like getting out on the lake completely solo.

Anyway, the morning felt weird before I even left the house and really just felt like I should stay home. On the way to the river it still felt that way. I was running late and when I got to Mcginnis lot it was full daylight, and I was sorta surprised no one was there. Heh, laughed at myself considering the conditions. Of course I'm the only idiot to get out on a windy, cold, post frontal bluebird day. Mayor walks by, bag of fish in hand. We waive and I kinda pause and consider for a moment that he is probably in my top 5 fishing buddies. Check him out @mcginnis_mayor on IG... just kidding.

Back the boat down and proceed to kill my starter battery trying to start the motor. It tested 12.6 volts last night but wouldnt spin the starter fast enough to kick the motor over. Troll back to the ramp, swap batteries with my trolling motor and fired right up.

I saw you putting in as I drove by with my boat. Had a little hub replacement to do in the AM and tried the lake later in the day. Same result as you, minus all the dead and dying deer.
                    Dennis C...""Giving Stripers everywhere a bad day!!""

Comment

There used to be a white van (if memory serve me right) with SC plates that would park at Abbotts in the fall, and I would see his boat tied up on the west bank about a mile below McGinnis, just below where you saw that one with arrow in him. I was sure he was in the woods poaching deer. I think I even called the TIPS line about it, bit don't know if anything ever happened. I bet it is something similar.

FM
                      The tug is the drug!

"Grow a pear!" - Groundpounder

Comment

Who is this McGinnis Mayor anyway? Is it even a real person?
                        Hi my name is Charles and I'm a fishaholic.

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith

Comment

Originally posted by ChaChung View Post
                          Fellow angler. A man of few words but very friendly. We have started calling him the Mayor because he fishes there literally every day. I think Glenn may have coined the name.

Comment

Originally posted by ChaChung View Post
                            A wise wizard of sucker catching, brown wrangling, Tenkara wielding mystery.

Real dude. We have a language barrier, but itís always a positive to see him.
                            I like em big fat and sloppy.

Comment

I've tried Chinese Japanese and Korean through Google translator. No luck. We only speak the language of fish and seem to get along pretty well.

Comment

Working...
                              X