The Dam, recently

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dam, recently

I have made a few trips to the dam and around Bowmans Island the last couple of weeks. Some days have been good, others spectacular. I don't know that I can say they have been dialed in to a particular fly. I would stick with darker patterns in low light and flashy stuff mid day and in sunny spots. Throw the bugger some as well, you will know within a short period of time if they are in the mood to chase. Keep in mind the water is much warmer than that of our mountain streams right now.

http://www.bigtflyfishing.com

[

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off

Nice work, as always T.
    The one day I had to get out this week was today, but the release schedule jacked that up. Now I am about to sit through my research student's preliminary report on the growth patterns and diet and what not of the brown and rainbow trout study that we collected data for.

Remember: I am still in need of a few larger fish, hint hint, 15+ 18+ would be even better. For us to plot best estimate growth curves, a few more (half dozen) of these larger fish would really help the maths. Once we get the data processed, analyzed and figured out, I will be sure to provide a detailed written report here. Also, if anyone is willing to donate a larger hooch brown to the study: just catch it, put it on ice. Note the date, location (rough estimate, but GPS coordinates would be ideal), water temp if you can get it, but if not we can get historical data, and a rough description of the habitat from which it came. All this can be put on a gallon or larger size zip loc bag in sharpie with the fish inside. Any contributors will find their name listed in the acknowledgements of any peer-reviewed scientific publications that result from this research.

Sorry to hijack your thread T - but thanks!

Comment

Great looking fish BigT..Splatek - looking forward to a summary of the research work your students are putting together..
      Tight lines!!

Doc

Comment

Big T,

Are you throwing larger flies in the winter or is it 20 and smaller?

Comment

Originally posted by Stinkbait View Post
          Big T,

Are you throwing larger flies in the winter or is it 20 and smaller?
          You can go a lot larger with the cloudy water conditions. They are looking for anything to eat in my opinion most of the time. That being said I have seen a few days when an 18 truly outfished a 16 in the same pattern.

Girdle bugs, mops, and other large flies can work on any given day as well.

It is also a time that believe it or not you can get on a bit of a dry fly bite. My last couple of outings in one area produced a half dozen fish on the dry each time.

The fun will begin in about a month or so when the water clears up again, oxygen levels return to high levels, and small midge hatches make it necessary to downsize all the way to 24 and 26 on certain days. Not often, but enough to carry them in my arsenal.
          http://www.bigtflyfishing.com

[

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off

Comment

What time do they open the gates now? Thinking of going to the dam in the morning

Comment

8am-5pm
              Fly tying instagram @erikclymore

Comment

Working...
              X