A story and Bowmans brownies treat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A story and Bowmans brownies treat

For the past few years, periodic reviews on a work-related project have brought me back to Georgia Tech campus for at least one time a year, and typically in November.
    I always enjoy these trips because they bring back great memories of my time at GaTech and in Atlanta, as an international student.

Campus and midtown looked great and even though I've been living in Texas for some years now, it still somehow feels like my "second" home here.

This year my schedule was going to allow me to take another kind of trip down my Georgia memory lane, with a free day to go fish the great Chattahoochee river.
    It all started here in the Hooch' for me. That day when I took the plunge and went to the DH to flail that orvis clearwater rod in the air, after having watched what I though was enough youtube videos.

November 28 is a sunny and cold day in Atlanta.
    At 9:15 AM, the temperature reading in my rental car says 29F.

With a morning water release from 6 to 9 AM, it looks like my best options were going to be the dam, maybe Settles Bridge.

I arrive at Settles around 10:15 AM, get rigged and go take a look at the river. Well, first, it looks like the river turnover is still going. I kinda of expected that, so no big surprise.
    What I had hoped for though, is that the water had receded enough for safe enough wading. It looked like water was going down but with the reduced water clarity, it seemed wiser to opt out and go upstream to the dam area.

I had fished the dam a few times before, but I'm not that familiar with the area. The DH and IF were essentially my stomping grounds during my time at GaTech.
    I decide to try Bowmans Island this time, starting from the hatchery.

Car parked, I take the hike down the trail. I am greeted with late fall colors and some beautiful light shinning through the trees, as the day is warning up.
    Man, I so wish I had this at a 45 minutes drive from Dallas.

Turnover is also going strong here. In fact, the effects might even be stronger than at Settles.

I start at the tip of the island.
    Double nymph rig, with a small black jig-style bugger at the point fly and smaller hot spot kind of pheasant tail as dropper. I'm not sure about this and I'm also still learning the "euro-nymphing" style, but I figured fly selection might not be so important with this turbidity.

Nothing happens for 30 mins or so and I struggle some to get good drifts with the wind.
    Then, a twitch of the sighter and I feel a shake in my rod hand that is definitely different that the occasional snag. I'm really starting to love the tight connection to the flies that provides this style of nymphing.

Unfortunately, there is no further connection with a fish. But I now feel more confident and start thinking that, despite my trouble with the wind and the low oxygen/visibility, I might be able to avoid the skunk here.
    I insist on that run with deeper drifts. Which results in... a bad snag!
    Both flies are lost. And that's when I realize that I left my fly box and back-pack with lunch in the car...

Maaaan
    Dammit.
    I have no choice but to hike back and forth the trail.

Must have been some kind of a funny sighting for that man, when he saw me at the corner of the trail, running awkwardly and heavily back to the river in my boots and waders, with all my stuff swinging around.

After all that time lost, I'm finally back to the water tying on a new rig. I'm opting for these this time.

I'm still catching my breath as I'm trying to retie. I am now really struggling with getting a triple surgeon knot going...

That's when I hear:

"Hey man, is this yours?"

Apparently, in my hustle to get back to the river and with "all that stuff swinging around", I lost my net!

That gentleman that I came across at the corner of the trail found it on the side, figured out that it might be mine, and took the time and effort to walk back down the trail until he would find me river side!
    When I say that Georgia feels like a "second" home for me, its people actually have a lot to do with that.

Back to fishing, finally. Man, I'm not so sure about avoiding that skunk anymore...

It is now close to 1 PM and I have to leave around 3PMish, so that I can be back at Gatech by 5:30, for a social/work-related event.

But in these two hours, things were eventually going to click.
    I was graced by a handful of gorgeous little hoochie trout brought to the net.
    It had been some time since I had seen fish with such perfectly shaped fins, brilliant colors and beautiful doted patterns.

A Bowmans brownies treat.

As for many others, Georgia will be on my mine.
    Last edited by guillaume; 11-30-18, 03:50 PM.

What a great post and great pictures. Glad you were able to get on some fish up there. It's always nice to hook into some beautiful wild browns.
    Hi my name is Charles and I'm a fishaholic.

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith

Comment

Hey Guillaume, good to hear from you. Glad youíre still at it. Itís always good to get back and fish our ďhome waters.Ē

Take care.

Comment

Great story. It is interesting to see how different the river looks in different parts during turnover. Further downstream it is pea green, up higher it goes between pea green and the brownish crap. Glad you caught fish!
        Guess the winter stockings on the Trinity donít really do it for ya huh, lol? Iíll be in Dallas next week for a summit with my company. Probably gonna try to hit the Trinity. Wish I could get to Possum Kingdom though...
        #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
        -Chinese Proverb

ďAt sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.Ē
        -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
        -PH

Comment

Yes yes this is awesome!
          I really like the 3rd and 4th picture.
          The one with a little mud on your hand just looks so quintessentially "brownie"...like if there was some Narnia-land where a little of the brownness of the fish just rubs off on our hands when we catch them.
          Or if you are graced with fondling a rainbow trout you'd get a splash of shimmery rainbow left on your palm for a few hours.

Man, what was in my cereal...Sounds like some acid-trip stuff and I'm just sitting here at my kitchen table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          _yero on instagram

Comment

Originally posted by kbrunson View Post
            Hey Guillaume, good to hear from you. Glad youíre still at it. Itís always good to get back and fish our ďhome waters.Ē

Take care.
            Thanks man! Hope you're doing good and also get the chance to keep chasing them!

Comment

Originally posted by Philhutch80 View Post
              Guess the winter stockings on the Trinity donít really do it for ya huh, lol? Iíll be in Dallas next week for a summit with my company. Probably gonna try to hit the Trinity. Wish I could get to Possum Kingdom though...
              Sounds like you are familiar with the area! Yeah, the Trinity is close by and I do go there every now and then to mess around with the buffalo carps. But for a trout fix, I usually end up taking the 3 hours drive to Beavers Bend in OK. No comparison with the Chattahoochee, but it's not too bad after all. PM if are looking for someone to grab a beer while in Dallas. We live in Oakcliff with my wife, close to downtown. We both like talking about fishing

Comment

Originally posted by orey10m View Post
                Yes yes this is awesome!
                I really like the 3rd and 4th picture.
                The one with a little mud on your hand just looks so quintessentially "brownie"...like if there was some Narnia-land where a little of the brownness of the fish just rubs off on our hands when we catch them.
                Or if you are graced with fondling a rainbow trout you'd get a splash of shimmery rainbow left on your palm for a few hours.

Man, what was in my cereal...Sounds like some acid-trip stuff and I'm just sitting here at my kitchen table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Haha, I want your cereals! Glad you like the post. Man, now that I also see that mud on my hand, I kinda feel a bit guilty. I swear I usually try to wet my hand before handling fish. But maybe not all the way up to the wrist, when the air temp is in the 30s!

Comment

Haha definitely didn't mean to call you out for not having wet hands or anything... I'm sure they were wet and the mud just stuck to your hand regardless
                  _yero on instagram

Comment

Working...
                  X