Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dredgers Smith Report

Dredger has some things to share:

Smith (was) decent yesterday (15th), despite high, cold water. It was the only game in town, since our favorite big rivers were blown out. They didn't like our trio's eggs, but did respond to rubberlegs and shell pink San Juan's when they were rolled on the bottom in flood refuges (slower velocities down deep, behind boulders, or right against the bank). Lengthen your tippet, add some shot or tungsten heads, and hi-stick 'em, Weekend Warriors!

Sincerely, Dredger

I don't really know how to remove the other post so I'll just bump up this one. These forums can be mighty slow when trying to post something.

Comment

Lumis,

I probably saw you yesterday. I was at Smith's Creek yesterday also. I did not do well. Had 2 bites and hung two fish but lost them. One of the rainbows that I hung was where the hemlocks are and the bend and big pool there. He was hiding under one of the rocks.

How many did you end up catching. I had rubberlegs but didn't think of trying one. I had a bite on a green mop worm and Splatek's experience fly.

The new bridge that crosses the main road. To the left of it in the creek was about a 20 inch rainbow, but it would not bite anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Trout Hunter 18 View Post
        Lumis,

I probably saw you yesterday. I was at Smith's Creek yesterday also. I did not do well. Had 2 bites and hung two fish but lost them. One of the rainbows that I hung was where the hemlocks are and the bend and big pool there. He was hiding under one of the rocks.

How many did you end up catching. I had rubberlegs but didn't think of trying one. I had a bite on a green mop worm and Splatek's experience fly.

The new bridge that crosses the main road. To the left of it in the creek was about a 20 inch rainbow, but it would not bite anything.
        Hey TH, I was not at smith. Durniak asked me to post this. However, I do have plans to go very soon.

Comment

I went to Smith yesterday with my daughter. Fish were not near as cooperative as they were a few weeks ago, but I still got 3 to hand, 2 LDRs, and one short distance release, about 3” from my hand. Also had several chasers and saw a few strike and miss. I caught one pretty far down stream, I might have been 1/2 mi or so past the pond.

I have fly fished pretty much exclusively (for trout anyway) over the past 7 years or so, but I brought back out the spinning gear a couple of weeks ago. Anyway, I took and committed to using only some spoons with single hooks.

Never fished a spoon before but I simply cast upstream and reeled just fast enough to keep line tight, that seemed to be what they liked the most. Definitely going to try spoons again. Sometimes when trying something new you never know if it’s what you use or how they were biting that day.....

All in all, good time spent with my daughter fishing, 2 hour drive each way, lunch at Betty’s, and we hiked up to Anna Ruby Falls on the way out from the park.

Comment

Originally posted by creeker View Post
            I went to Smith yesterday with my daughter. Fish were not near as cooperative as they were a few weeks ago, but I still got 3 to hand, 2 LDRs, and one short distance release, about 3” from my hand. Also had several chasers and saw a few strike and miss. I caught one pretty far down stream, I might have been 1/2 mi or so past the pond.

I have fly fished pretty much exclusively (for trout anyway) over the past 7 years or so, but I brought back out the spinning gear a couple of weeks ago. Anyway, I took and committed to using only some spoons with single hooks.

Never fished a spoon before but I simply cast upstream and reeled just fast enough to keep line tight, that seemed to be what they liked the most. Definitely going to try spoons again. Sometimes when trying something new you never know if it’s what you use or how they were biting that day.....

All in all, good time spent with my daughter fishing, 2 hour drive each way, lunch at Betty’s, and we hiked up to Anna Ruby Falls on the way out from the park.
            Awesome, sounds like a good day.

Comment

Still sounds like a great day creeker. Spending quality time with your kids anywhere is precious, but outdoors hiking and on the river - even better..Thanks for sharing!
              Tight lines!!

Doc

Comment

Originally posted by creeker View Post

Creeker...I spent the greater part of this year fishing really weird and unusual things for trout. Back in the late spring and summer when the stocker bite was really hot, I decided to try various spoons. I used a spoon painted in a dire tiger pattern on the hooch, and it was murder on stocked trout. I guess the erratic flutter of the spoon in the current is what set the trout off. I fished that spoon a lot of days and even bought more of them because I was so impressed with the success I had on them!

Comment

Definitely going to try more spoons, I ordered some spoon blanks online, I can make them for less than $1 ea. They are 1/8 oz bodies, and I’ll just have to add split rings and siwash hooks - maybe a little Testors enamel paint, finish with a thin coat of clear nail polish over the paint, and good to go. Probably be a couple more weeks before I go back.

Will also be taking my Tenkara rod and my version of Sexy Walts when I go back.

Comment

Speaking of Smith's check out the first photo. I saw these in what friends and I call the raceway a couple weeks ago but no bite. . https://www.instagram.com/barbieonthefly/

Comment

Working...
                    X