Smith Creek 2/9

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smith Creek 2/9

Fished Smith today for the first time in a couple of weeks and had my best day so far. The fish were eager and we're biting just about everything I threw at them. I also finally managed to get my first Smith's slam, and caught a 20" rainbow twice. Yes, twice. This same fish has broken me off before in my favorite hole on the creek. When I got there I saw a big fish holding up right under a shelf. I tied on a size 20 black zebra midge and had him hooked on the second cast. He took off down stream and got airborne twice. The second time he jumped right into an over hanging tree limb and he snapped.. Frustrated as hell I tied on another size 20 zebra midge this time red and started my way up stream. 15 minutes later a 20 yards away I was hooked up again with a big fish. I had no idea this was the same fish until I got him in the net and he had TWO zebra midges in his mouth one red and one black with my 5x tippet and egg dropper. Needless to say I had an awesome day at Smith's today. IMG_20190209_162447.jpg
    ​​​
    Attached Files

I'd call that a FINE day. Smith Creek has some serious fish in it this year, thanks to our DNR!
    BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
    Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

Originally posted by fishnpreacher View Post
      I'd call that a FINE day. Smith Creek has some serious fish in it this year, thanks to our DNR!
      A huge thank you to our DNR! Smith is packed with some awesome fish!

Comment

Awesome fish and sounds like an awesome day. I have fished Smith several times over the years but just discovered DH at Smith this year. No 20 inches for me yet, but love seeing and reading about them while Iím at it. Did get a slam last weekend, no monsters, but great day.

Your post makes me wonder wonder how often a fisherman hooks the same fish twice in the same day, usually donít have the benefit of a recently broken off fly to know. In any event very nice, thanks for post and pics.

Comment

Dang, that's awesome - nothing better than catching big fish than catching big fish that stole your fly and getting it back. I would've loved to have seen that fish jump a limb and break you off... that must've been a sight.
          Great report!

Comment

Originally posted by splatek16 View Post
            Dang, that's awesome - nothing better than catching big fish than catching big fish that stole your fly and getting it back. I would've loved to have seen that fish jump a limb and break you off... that must've been a sight.
            Great report!
            It was definitely a sight. It's like he knew what he was doing. After he broke me off he jumped out of the water 4 more times I'm guessing to shake the hook, but more like taunting me

Comment

Working...
            X