Fishing Small Streams: Blue Ridge WMA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing Small Streams: Blue Ridge WMA

I was wondering if there are any small trout streams either in the Blue Ridge WMA or sorta West side of the the Chattahoochee national forest that could hold wild trout.I am out of Kennesaw and I'm trying to find smaller spots that aren't too crowded.I seem to be mostly coming across "trout streams" that can't hold trout year round that consequently have very poor trout fishing. I would rather not drive across GA to the northeast side but would rather find some spots somewhat close( within 1hour and a half). I saw creeks like nimble will and jones on the map.. DM me if you have any info on these creeks or any others.

Here is the DNR map of trout streams in Georgia. All of the blue lines are trout streams. Find the Blue Ridge WMA. Go explore and have at them. And welcome to the board!

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappvi....9821%2C102100
    If this were rocket science most of us wouldn't be doing it. - Terry Creech

Comment

Thanks! I do already use this map... my dillema with a lot of these is a lot of these trout streams in west Chattahoochee forest is that they are marked as trout streams but don't seem to actually be able to naturally support trout.. maybe too hot of water temps.. I could definitely be wrong as I have only been fly fishing for 2 years, love to hear your thoughts
      Last edited by robbyfowler6; 02-12-19, 09:15 PM.

Comment

I don't know exactly which streams in the Blue Ridge WMA you're talking about (and probably shouldn't mention it since people will get upset here) but I found that most of those small streams hold trout. Most of those trout are small though. What I've seen is an average of about 4-6 inches but I have caught fish up to 12 inches or so in the small streams up there. Make sure you look for streams that are in high-enough elevation to keep the water cool throughout the year. I think around 2200' or above or so. Some streams up there hold the potential for a Georgia wild trout slam. Just keep trying make sure you're being stealthy when fishing up there.
        Hi my name is Charles and I'm a fishaholic.

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith

Comment

If there is a stream on Blue Ridge WMA big enough for trout to swim you can be assured itís got trout. Good luck.

Comment

Everything you've heard is totally wrong. There are no trout on Blue Ridge WMA! Heck, the streams are so devoid of life that they have to stock Chinese catfish and they barely survive. No fish, anywhere. Don't waste your time. Fish for trout in the Chattahoochee. Below Atlanta.
            - Jed Green

"I will make you fishers of men" - Christ
            Bamboo rods, Clear streams, and old Jeeps

Comment

Get a copy of Jimmy Jacob's book "Trout Fishing in North Georgia". That should keep you busy for quite some time.
              Jimmy Harris
              Unicoi Liars Club
              Unicoi Outfitters Online Store

Comment

Piggybacking on this topic, looking at the DNRs trout stream map, thereís a lot of water in haralsob, Paulding and Bartow counties designated as trout streams. Iíve fished raccoon creek in paulding during the put and take season but are these waters holding trout year round? Iím not sure how a stream gets designated as a trout stream but thereís a few on that map that Iíve never seen on stocking lists and at the very bottom of the ridge and valley region

Comment

Everything you've heard is totally wrong. There are no trout on Blue Ridge WMA! Heck, the streams are so devoid of life that they have to stock Chinese catfish and they barely survive. No fish, anywhere. Don't waste your time. Fish for trout in the Chattahoochee. Below Atlanta.
                  @Dawgvet
                  agreed lol,

​​​​​​The map from the DNR is super helpful, use the map along with the stocking report to get and idea of what areas will hold trout. The more a place is stocked, the more people. I've fished creeks that the DNR stocks even just twice a year and have caught trout, those spots are some of my favorites. Some of those have excellent holdovers also. In my experience I haven't found any wild trout much further south than Dawsonville so everything below is put and take (except the Chattahoochee), and those spots only last so long sometimes. Best way to find out is to get out there and explore and fish as much as you possibly can!

Iíve fished raccoon creek in paulding during the put and take season but are these waters holding trout year round?
                  @muddy waters

I've fished just about every bit of raccoon creek on the wma. Only have 2 more tiny feeders explore. It was a goal of mine last year to explore all of it on the wma and maybe come to find some secrets. Trout were found in interesting places(stockers), but I discovered something more important than that (at least to me) on raccoon creek that makes me want to return as much as I can. I have found some excellent pools fed by falls on small tributaries that are midnight bucket run material. I would love to volunteer to stock some trout into these spots.
                  Last edited by FMJHP; 02-14-19, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dawg Vet View Post
                    gotcha thanks for the advice

Comment

For wild trout, you should focus on the primary trout streams (see link below).

I hope this helps . . . good luck!

Comment

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but Rock creek hatchery is in blue ridge WMA, where they stock thousands of fish a year. All I can tell you is that if you can't catch fish on blue ridge WMA, it's time to take up a different hobby brother. reading your post is the largest oxymoron I've ever read on this site!

Comment

Originally posted by gregseever View Post
                          I'm not trying to be a jerk, but Rock creek hatchery is in blue ridge WMA, where they stock thousands of fish a year. All I can tell you is that if you can't catch fish on blue ridge WMA, it's time to take up a different hobby brother. reading your post is the largest oxymoron I've ever read on this site!
                          thanks for the input brother.. I shouldn't have put blue ridge wha... cause I actually haven't even went up there to fish yet. Its a little to far north for me. I was meaning a bit more south of blue ridge, more like near Dawsonville. And I agree, my fly fishing does need a little work

Comment

Beware the maps.wildtroutstreams link. I got a warning from McAfee about the site. Lots of potentially unwanted programs.

Comment

Blueridge is chock full of wild trout.
                              You are on the right track with the ones you mentioned, but I think most of nimblewill is on private.
                              Noontootla is a popular one that could hold a few bigones

Comment

Working...
                              X