Helen Visit April 4-7

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helen Visit April 4-7

I'm heading up to Helen April 4-7 with the family, and have received permission to do some fly fishing while there. I am a novice, and so far have only fished on the Hooch primarily at Jones Bridge. I am looking forward to getting on some of the small streams near Helen.

I have a reservation for Dukes Creek on Wed. (4/4) afternoon, and am thinking about trying to hit Smith Creek on Thursday, Friday or Saturday. Not having fished any of these creeks before, I am open to any and all tips and suggestions. I just read the instructions for Dukes, and need to find a local fly shop that sells barbless flies (just saw that requirement tonight). Does anyone know if the visitor center at Dukes sells barbless flies? Also, if anyone is up there and interested in showing a newby around, would be happy to connect.

Looking forward to my first outing this year!!

Stop by Unicoi and talk to them. Can't remember if they sell barbless flies, but they can show you how to make your flies barbless.

There is lots of good information about Dukes, stay low to the water and don't shadow the fish. Good luck.

Comment

If the water is clear, small flys and perfect drifts. Euro/tightline nymph if you can. 6X tippet. If it's got some color, big and buggy. You can mash your barbs. It's a pain but saves you money.

Comment

I think Unicoi has a selection of barbless. If not, as already mentioned you can mash the barbs. Use a pair of smooth jaw pliers and crimp the barb. Just make sure the hook will pass the "t shirt test." Stick the hook through a t shirt. If you can pull it back out without snagging, you're good. If it snags, mash again. Remember, no barbed flies in your possession. That includes flies in your hat, drying patch, ANY barbed flies.
        Good luck!

And don't forget about fishing the Hooch right through Helen. I've had many good days fishing in town.
        BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
        Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions (and reminder of no barbs in possession). Will have a try at debarbing tonight, and will try to stop by Unicoi on my way to Dukes. Thanks also for the advice on approaches/technique. I had read that with clear water, you need to be pretty stealthy....

With regards to Hooch through Helen - that sounds like a great option too. Is there a good access place that you recommend?

Comment

With regards to Hooch through Helen - that sounds like a great option too. Is there a good access place that you recommend?

North of town, Hamby Street Turn on Hamby, cross the river and turn right. There is parking along the side the road, a little further upstream is a ramp the tubers use to access the river. You can access at any bridge as well. A lot of the parking is pay lots. They will tow your vehicle if you illegally park, FYI. Good Luck!

Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

Thanks fishnpreacher. This is very helpful. Sometimes have the battle is just knowing how to get to the right put in spot.

Comment

Smith’s was great this weekend, a lot of people were out but I just stuck to unpopular runs and a couple pools which payed off. Junk flies and anything small worked for me, size 16-20. I might be up there one of those days so if you see a silver Tacoma with some light bars on it come say hey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks everyone for the advice - got skunked on Dukes, but had fun at Smith's. Still learning, but brought half a dozen to net and lost as many off the hook. Met some great folks at Smith's who really were helpful. Thanks again ...

Comment

Getting skunked on Dukes is called "paying your dues." Those fish have seen it all, from all angles. Smith can be fun, and humble you at the same time. Bringing 6 to hand is pretty good. Stay with it, and one day you'll be showing others the best holes, how to get a drag free drift, and talking about the day you caught 4 pigs at Dukes Creek.

Comment

Preach talking about Smith. I met a guy there Reid Fuller who caught a pig the second day I think of the DH season.

Comment

Working...
                      X