Trophy Speck

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by buckman1 View Post
    Iíd get the real thing. Iíve got trout mounted in my house from 20 years ago, and they look as good today as they did then.
    Must have a better taxidermist than the ones Iíve seen*♂️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
    -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

"Stop Whining"

Comment

I guess? I agree there are some stupid looking trout mounts out there. But those that are done well are very cool.

Comment

My friends pick my replica and my skin mount as their favorites about 50/50. The detail work on the replica and the fact that itís still swimming are cool. The fact that the skin mount is the real thing is really cool.

You usually go wrong if you go cheap on taxidermy.
        I like em big fat and sloppy.

Comment

Originally posted by troutbum69 View Post
          You may want to consider a replica mount vs a real one. They just seem to hold up better over the years. But definitely a once in a lifetime fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Only problem that I have seen with replicas is that they are like double the price of a standard mount I think. I busted the 12" mark last year on a wild speck and looked at different guys making replicas. I looked at prices listed on their websites. Many of these guys charge a minimum fee no matter the size of the fish. The minimum rate might be like $200.00 no matter what size of fish they do. This means that if you wanted to mount a 10" brook trout, or even a 5" creek chub, the minimum fee of $200.00 would still apply.
          I really like the idea of replicas. I do. They are very detailed. They look great, and last a long time. But I am a blue-collar working man who works a job that I enjoy, but which does not pay much at all. I work this job because I love it, but money is TIGHT. I have to consider my options, anf at the price point, the traditional mount is the way to go. If I had a lot of extra cash lying around that I could burn, I'd probably get the replica.

Comment

GA must be either overrun with taxidermists or not a lot of people getting fish mounted (small market) if you can get a real fish mounted for under $200. Here on the gulf coast the starting price, regardless of how small, is $250 for "backyard" taxidermists and $300 - $350 for "career" taxidermists.

There is a lot more overhead and manhours on a replica which drives the prices up. Fake gills, heads and mouths and fins. Some guys will make their own fins but most just use factory made ones to save time. And the good ones are true artists. They know how to mix and blend paint colors to match your catch. You're going to pay for that experience or end up with a really goofy looking fish.
            "If God had intended for man to only fish on weekends, He would not have created the other five days of the week."

Remember, always fight like you're the third monkey trying to get on Noah's ark.

Comment

Buckman and I are looking. But I wrapped him in a wet towel and froze him. Itís amazing how fast there colors fade after death

Comment

Please post a pic of the mount when it's done. Would like to get one done myself one day.

Comment

Will do. The first guy we were going to use stop mounting fish. So Iím still researching

Comment

Do both and hang in two rooms!

Comment

That would work too but momma wouldnít like that price tag

Comment

Originally posted by KevinD62 View Post
                        GA must be either overrun with taxidermists or not a lot of people getting fish mounted (small market) if you can get a real fish mounted for under $200. Here on the gulf coast the starting price, regardless of how small, is $250 for "backyard" taxidermists and $300 - $350 for "career" taxidermists.

There is a lot more overhead and manhours on a replica which drives the prices up. Fake gills, heads and mouths and fins. Some guys will make their own fins but most just use factory made ones to save time. And the good ones are true artists. They know how to mix and blend paint colors to match your catch. You're going to pay for that experience or end up with a really goofy looking fish.
                        I could be dead wrong regarding prices now. I willingly admit that. The last fish I got mounted was ABOUT 15 years ago, and I forgot about inflation. I had a 22" rainbow done by Woody's Taxidermy around 2005 maybe?....I forgot the exact year, but it cost me exactly $180.00 to the penny. It is a superb skin mount and looks every bit as good today as the day I brought it home. Five more years will be about two decades with this skin mount, and it is still pristine. It was cheap then at $180.00 and I suppose that is extraordinarily cheap now, but it was worth every penny. This traditional fish mount from Woody's is approaching two decades old and it has stood the test of time.

Comment

Tried to PM you but your inbox is full.
                          "If God had intended for man to only fish on weekends, He would not have created the other five days of the week."

Remember, always fight like you're the third monkey trying to get on Noah's ark.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer Kyle View Post

I could be dead wrong regarding prices now. I willingly admit that. The last fish I got mounted was ABOUT 15 years ago, and I forgot about inflation. I had a 22" rainbow done by Woody's Taxidermy around 2005 maybe?....I forgot the exact year, but it cost me exactly $180.00 to the penny. It is a superb skin mount and looks every bit as good today as the day I brought it home. Five more years will be about two decades with this skin mount, and it is still pristine. It was cheap then at $180.00 and I suppose that is extraordinarily cheap now, but it was worth every penny. This traditional fish mount from Woody's is approaching two decades old and it has stood the test of time.
                            That raises an interesting point. How long are these things supposed to last? I've got a shoal bass that I had done in 1976 that still looks as good as it ever did. Some of the plaster on the back side is cracking and one of the fins got bent (which neither one of my kids know anything about) but otherwise looks fine.

I'm very interested to see how the Brookie turns out.

Comment

You are short changing yourself on the size of that fish. Soft rayed fish are measured from tip of jaw (whichever is longer, upper jaw or lower jaw) to the tip of compressed tail. It looks like you've got a solid 13" or better fish.
                              These brook trout will strike any fly you present, provided you don't get close enough to present it.
                              -- Dick Blalock

Comment

If thatís the case Mog, heís pushing 13Ē. Thanks for the advice. I didnít know that how you officially measure them

Comment

Working...
                                X