upper Chattahoochee river campground

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upper Chattahoochee river campground

DO'NT GO CAMPING HERE IT IS CLOSED WITH 2 GATES CLOSED ON THE ROAD THAT COMES OFF OF ROUTE 17.
    I went up there this morning to fish and stay over tonight, I came off r-17 from the north also FR44. sign said 5 miles to campgrd I drove
    for 2-3 miles came to a gate camp closed turned around another gate same. why didn't they let me know at road when I turned in.
    Also I was not the only one saw truck tracks on road too.
    I've never been there a wanted to go see the place and fish.
    AL

It is a fairy easy couple mile walk in from the locked gate.
    IMG_20190704_144801.jpg
    I started that day intending to walk a ways though.

Comment

Itís been closed for well over a year now, a big storm caused a lot of damage. From what Iíve heard the damage was quite extensive?

Comment

Storms are tough on public as well as private property. Couple the extensive damage with ever shrinking budgets for the USFS and NPS, they simply cannot keep something like this campground safely open. Similar is the closure of the Nantahala River in the Gorge to all boats until further notice. Couple days ago a big landslide along the highway into the river blocked the flow as much as 90%. The highway was closed for two days and the river is now choked with mud and some nasty looking landslide debris. This will get a faster cleanup due to the highway and the private businesses along that route.

Comment

Originally posted by buckman1 View Post
          Itís been closed for well over a year now, a big storm caused a lot of damage. From what Iíve heard the damage was quite extensive?
          There is extensive storm damage. A trail I wanted to hike became completely unpassable a little ways north of the campground. Road work had recently been done on the road going north east from the campground. I was there in early July. Someone else had taken a dirt bike into the campground in the day or two before I was there.
          ​​​​

Comment

The USFS alerts webpage lists the Upper Campground as closed, and lists the road as temporarily closed also. It is YOUR responsibility to research where you are going. They put it on the webpage for you, but you didn't look. Now you know to check it for next time.

The campground is closed due to SOME storm damage, but it isn't terrible. The upper stretch of road is closed because of a slide that occured more than a year ago. It isn't the result of the tornado damage. It was all the heavy rain events we had last year that is causing the road to fall away.
            The campground will be reopened again when the slide is fixed and the roads are graded. The fix will cost an extraordinary amount of money, so dont expect it anytime soon. To file a complaint, call the USFS office.

Comment

I ran into that a few weeks ago. I hadn't been there in years, and thought I'd check it out on my way back from another stream. I was pretty ticked off when I got to the gate, wondering why there was no sign at the end of the road. On my way back out I stopped and looked at the sign board at the entrance from Hwy 17. As it turns out, there is a sign, it's just old and faded to the point that you don't see it on your way in.

On the bright side, there should be some great fishing when it does reopen.

Comment

It seems I'm one to go up there, I have read in Big-t s book about the campground and stream and decided to drive the 150 miles up there to stay a night and fish. I don't know if I had went in the other way if I could have made it there. But decided if they said it closed both ends were. I will go up there again after they open. I KNEW THEY WERE CLOSED A YEAR AGO BUT THOUGH THEY WOULD BE OPEN BY NOW!
                HAVE A GOOD DAY---AL

Comment

I tried both ends. Both closed.

Comment

There are lots of other campgrounds in the area. Not all hope is lost.

Comment

Originally posted by GUTHOOKED View Post
                      IOn the bright side, there should be some great fishing when it does reopen.
                      Yep. There are some monsters up there. That's the area where I caught the beast in my profile pic.

Comment

Upper Chattahoochee is probably my favorite campground in Georgia. We used to go at least a couple of times a year before it closed last year. I actually called the USFS number and asked a ranger when it will be open and they said the campground is open but the road leading to it is not. They said it is closer to hike in from the road coming from the south (Low Gap). I told myself I'll hike up there to do some fishing but haven't gotten around to it yet. I also wonder if there is a good place to park by the gate...
                        Hi my name is Charles and I'm a fishaholic.

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith

Comment

You can now drive to the Upper Chattahoochee Campground to fish. You have to drive up NOT from the northern entrance to the WMA at Unicoi Gap like you did before when you made your post, but you have to go there from the bottom entrance at Poplar Stump Rd at the zipline and tubing place at the junction at 17/75, and Alt 75 in Robertstown. Just turn onto Poplar Stump Rd, drive past the Check Station. Drive 4 +- more miles to the gate at the Upper campground. This was just made possible a couple weeks ago. You are welcome. You still cannot camp there, but you can fish there.

Comment

Working...
                          X