Smith Creek - 24 November 2013

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smith Creek - 24 November 2013

Today I went fishing with someone who's a beginner. My main goal was to teach them enough to get them to the point where they're comfortable being on their own and to the point where they're catching fish on their own. I'm not a pro, but I wanted to teach them some of what I have been taught and have learned up to this point. In the end, the goal was accomplished - they were a good student.

Today was slow for everybody we talked to. We didn't talk to anyone who caught more than three today. It might have had something to do the bottom falling out on the thermometer the day before. The highs today were no more than 45 degrees F. Or, maybe we just all sucked today.

Most of my time was spent teaching and I had more fun watching him fish and catch fish than had I been fishing. By the end of the day, we each walked away with a pair of rainbows to hand - each of us catching a 9" and an 11". It was a great day on the water for both of us. I think it really clicked with him today. That was cool to see that process happen. He's a lot more excited about fly fishing now that he has a foundation from which to work.
    I'm so old I remember when men wore tattoos and women wore earrings.
    -Lefty Kreh

Well done on passin' the knowledge along. That's what it's all about. We'll forgive you for claimin' fish without photos since you were passin' the craft along, but only this once or you'll be claimin' to have been teachin' someone ev'ry single time you git skunked an' wanna claim a fish.

In all seriousness though, well done!
    If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.

Comment

Good post Trouter. I like to take folks to Smith's, plenty of quality trout and the scenery is beautiful.

Comment

Excellent! Sounds like the trip out with my dad a couple weeks ago - after I caught my first one, I made him get upstream of me to the 'clean' water as we worked our way up. It's interesting - when we are bass fishing, I twist and turn in the boat so I can hit the prime spots first, but with this stuff, I want him to catch one as badly as I want to catch one for myself!

Comment

Working...
        X