Smith Creek SLAM - Saturday 12 April

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smith Creek SLAM - Saturday 12 April

Hit Smith Creek from about 4:00PM - 8:00PM this Saturday. Ended up with 8 and a nice slam - all from Powerbait. The yellow stuff is killerrrrrr. You gotta check it out.

On a much more serious note (as serious as fly fishing can get I suppose), the air temp was hot (I get hot when it's above freezing so take that last comment with a grain of salt) but the water temp was nice and cool. The water was higher than last week, which had me smiling. The sky was clear, the sun was high and strong, and the water was slightly stained and running a little faster than normal.

Most hit an olive bugger, some hit the Trip Saver (created by Kevin Howell at Davidson River Outfitters), and a couple took a green weenie (saw an inch worm by the stream which prompted me to tie one on). All were in the 11" - 13" range except for one rainbow SNIT.

All types of water produced today from the hammered deep runs to the small plunge pools to the slow-flowing, deep, glassy pools to the less-crowded, harder-to-get-to shallows and tight spots. Dead drifting the nymphs and stripping the bugger both rang the dinner bell this afternoon.

Speaking of the dinner bell, rounding out the day with a good-sized bacon cheeseburger, freshly-hand-battered onion rings, a slice of Glenda's scratch-made coconut cake and a slice of her strawberry cake (yeah, I was hungry) from Glenda's in Cleveland made for a fantastic day. Free advice: If you have never eaten at Glenda's and you like scratch-made food for a cheap price served by great folks, do yourself a huge favor and check out Glenda's. Feel free to PayPal me with thanks for turning you onto this incredible gem in north Georgia.

I'm so old I remember when men wore tattoos and women wore earrings.
    -Lefty Kreh

A slam, great pix, good report, and cheeseburger info! Hard to beat that.

Many thanks.

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!

Comment

Glenda's has a great breakfast too.

Kurt

Comment

Got em'! That was a solid afternoon. We fished the upper portion and managed 7. It was tough though. Good to meet you at the seminar. See you on the river!
        See you on the Davidson

íViva los fun hogs!

Follow me as I follow Drifter on Instagram

Comment

Powerbait is a mainstay on my tying desk
          "I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
          -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

"Stop Whining"

Comment

Glad you finished out the slam after we met. My first Smiths visit was a success with fish, fun and some scouting of a new fishing venue.
            Cohutta Chapter of Trout Unlimited

Comment

Originally posted by AWBivins View Post
              Got em'! That was a solid afternoon. We fished the upper portion and managed 7. It was tough though. Good to meet you at the seminar. See you on the river!
              Originally posted by Trout Fear Me View Post
              Glad you finished out the slam after we met. My first Smiths visit was a success with fish, fun and some scouting of a new fishing venue.
              It was nice meeting both of you Saturday. Have fun out there.
              I'm so old I remember when men wore tattoos and women wore earrings.
              -Lefty Kreh

Comment

Working...
              X