No announcement yet.

Running Dukes Creek Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice fish, Chef! I was up there yesterday afternoon, and the conditions were perfect. I had one of my best days at Dukes ever. It seemed like every fish that saw my pink SJ wanted to eat it immediately. I had several decent bows, but the crown jewel of the day was the quality brown that has eluded me so long at Dukes.

I knew soon after I hooked up that it was a hefty brown because it was glued to the bottom of the hole. She was a real chubby. I was able to get her in fast with 4x tippet, took a few quick photos, and then carefully revived her so she can add to the brown trout population in a few weeks. By far my best brown yet...

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

• Both Nice fishies Chef and Duke. You guys have a cold front coming through next week. Big Trout Time..

Comment

• Oh yeah remoh. It's gonna be crushing the next couple weeks.
        I like em big fat and sloppy.

Comment

• Had a great first time at Dukes! Thank everyone for the advice.

Comment

• Dukes this morning

So I had my first ever visit to Dukes this morning and I would consider a resounding success. Brought three bows to the net at 12in, 14in, and 17in. Also had a couple of 4 to 6 inch fish that were real pretty. That was I. The first hour.

I then jumped big bow of probably 22 to 24 inches out of the pool by the bridge near the visitors center. Of course the fly line wrapped around the butt of my rod and he broke me off during his third or fourth jump!

I will definitely be visiting again!
            Attached Files

Comment

• I would say it was a success. I was skunked my first 2 trips there but soon figured them out.

Since moving to the west side of Tennessee, I miss that place !! On the other hand, Arkansas isn't but 4 hrs away

Comment

• 10-3-15

Well I was really miffed that I couldn't head up to the mother load on Wednesday with the rain. So I had to do the next best thing and hope and pray someone would cancel with torrential down pours they were calling for on Saturday, so I left the house really early in hopes there were some fare weather fisherman signed up. Man was I lucky!! I got a slot and was able to catch the van in time to leave. The rain was light until 9:45 but the fish were on fire.
                I was blessed to bring 9 to hand, 2 over 20" and had 3 break off .
                The Duke completely blew out about 10:15. Meet some really nice guys at the covered bridge waiting on the van!
                But low and behold guess who was driving the the van, none other than Trout Fishing Royalty himself "Dredger"!
                It's really cool he doesn't mind stepping in for as a helping hand when the community needs him. Thanks Jeff for all you do and have done for this sport we all hold so near and dear to our hearts!!
                Sorry no pics guys forgot my phone in the truck.
                Big, ugly and bright were the flies of the day. From the covered bridge up stream.
                "Be patient and calm - for no one can catch fish in anger." - Herbert Hoover

Comment

• Had a great mornin' on the duke Sat mornin' as well, brought 2 meaty 12-14" 'bows and broke off 2 20+ bows. One of which jumped and showed me his 9"girth. I know where he lives now. I'll be back. The2 small ones came on a sj worm and the 2 big ones hit a flashy red fish streamer...I was practisin catchin and they was practisin releasin.

Thanks for coming out to see us Dredger. Was good to meet everyone on da bus and good to meet the 2 guysfrom La Grange. We appreciate the good vibes y'all all brought.
                  Last edited by jimboyyy; 10-04-15, 02:05 AM. Reason: Spellin'

Comment

• Saturday Water Wings event!

The fishing was on fire until the water turned to brown yahoo running through the grass. Started off about 8:45 after the van ride with a slight stain to the water. The big boys are still there and looking to play. I landed one 16 incher and broke off three big boys including one nice 24 incher Jimboyy got to see give me the fin as he headed down the torrent. Imagine my surprise to have Dredger give us a ride out for lunch. By 12:30 the river was unfishable so we called it a day!
                    Cohutta Chapter of Trout Unlimited

Comment

• The river remained fishable up till about 1pm on Saturday, though you just had to know what parts to hit. Ended up catching one fish about 16in, but was kicking myself all day for forgetting to bring any brains with me.
                      Thank you, dear God, for this good life and forgive us if we do not love it enough. Thank you for the rain. And for the chance to wake up in three hours and go fishing: I thank you for that now, because I won't feel so thankful then. - Garrison Keillor

Team Georgia, Competitive Fly Fishing
                      http://flyfishingteamgeorgia.webs.com/
                      https://www.facebook.com/Teamgeorgiacff/

Comment

• I headed up to Dukes Sunday afternoon with low expectations. I figured there was a good chance the water would still be too high after the monsoon. It made for some tough wading in most areas, but I found a spot where the water was a little slower and started tightlining a sculpin streamer and a pink SJ. Around 2:00, I finally had my first strike, and it was big. All I remember is my drag screaming and my line snapping. After the same thing happened again with a bigger fish, I switched to the strongest tippet I had on me (3x) and threw the rig back in.

Over the next two hours, I pulled 7 fish out of the same hole - 4 of which were 20-22". I couldn't believe how eager the big fish were to eat, but it definitely made my weekend! All of the big fish attacked the sculpin while it was dead drifting through a slower deep pool. Very poor pictures below...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

• Killer dude! Those are some of the better fish posted from there recently. The right day dukes is epic!
                          I like em big fat and sloppy.

Comment

• That's a gnarly jaw on the third fish. Was that the biggest?

Comment

• Thanks guys! Yeah, the hook jaw was the biggest, but just barely. The second and third photos are the same fish. They all put a pretty nice bend in the TFO 3wt. My catch rate skyrocketed when I started tightlining Dukes - I highly recommend learning this technique it if you haven't tried it. I can't wait to get back up there again in the rain!

Comment

• Originally posted by Duke Of Hooch View Post
                                Thanks guys! Yeah, the hook jaw was the biggest, but just barely. The second and third photos are the same fish. They all put a pretty nice bend in the TFO 3wt. My catch rate skyrocketed when I started tightlining Dukes - I highly recommend learning this technique it if you haven't tried it. I can't wait to get back up there again in the rain!
                                Any pictures of the sculpin? Those are sweet fish!
                                How do you get over a crappy fishing day? Go fishing again, and again.

http://www.youtube.com/madfishinskillz

Comment

Working...
                                X