• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

uploading pictures

Comment

Comment

sat 4/11

went this past Saturday for a morning session, had the best day ive had at dukes and it took me a full year of fishin the place to get a good day like this in. not sure of the water temp but if I had to guess it was around 57. caught em either on stones or a soft hackle. used a indicator just for the fun of it in deeper spots and tightlined it shallower spots. I fished a spot or two that normally I would walk by saying "ill fish that next time", and so happened caught one doin that. caught 4 total.

got there, rigged up, made exactly 3 drifts and got this beauty of a male.

walked to my favorite hole shortly after and hooked a gal that gave me one heck of a fight for her size.

then made my way up to a spot I never fish and sight fished a 13" male out of it with 1 drift.
        Instagram: nathan_crowe18

Comment

Headed to dukes Sunday for the second time. How's the fishin been lately. Hopefully the water will be high and muddy so I can throw big and ugly. If it's low what are some good flies this time of year?

Comment

Originally posted by Winkkle View Post
            Headed to dukes Sunday for the second time. How's the fishin been lately. Hopefully the water will be high and muddy so I can throw big and ugly. If it's low what are some good flies this time of year?
            Fishins been great , I fished it recently when it was a little dingy but not like very very high or yahoo. It probally won't be low and clear though due to the all the rain recently even though dukes still does clear up quickly sometimes after storms. But if it is low and clear id run any kind of stonefly as my lead and put anything small&natural behind it such as a soft hackle

Comment

Originally posted by Winkkle View Post
              Fishins been great , I fished it recently when it was a little dingy but not like very very high or yahoo. It probally won't be low and clear though due to the all the rain recently even though dukes still does clear up quickly sometimes after storms. But if it is low and clear id run any kind of stonefly as my lead and put anything small&natural behind it such as a soft hackle. Also make sure you add enough split shot to get where you need to be..always a key thing
              Last edited by The Crowe; 04-17-15, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Yea I plan on starting with a black leech and San Juan depending on how high and muddy and go from there. Thanks for info

Comment

I know the saying is high and muddy is great...

But I think Sunday was overkill...

The wading was rough, and I've always heard that fish normal staging points, and holes are much swifter in high water. I tried to cover as much ground as I could.
                  No Luck...

Sunday was only my second time at Dukes, and I kept snagging branches (thinking they were bites, of course).
                  Tried buggers, stones, muddlers, zuddlers, 3 different nymphs, and worms.
                  Had one hit by the road that stripped my chenille off the hook, but that was it

Comment

Got onto Dukes Sunday due to a no show. Fished the hole below the highway and never got a hit. I usually do well there and was wondering if the poachers hit there first. I moved up to the swimming hole and managed to wade out in the category 5 Rapids despite the monsoon rain. Using a heavily weighted San Juan worm and a very big bright bobber managed to land a nice 17" fish and lost another. Once the thunder rolled in, I rolled out. I only fished about 2 1/2 hours but that fish and the barbecue at Big D's made it all worthwhile.

Can't wait to go back.
                    “There’s a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot.” - Steven Wright

Comment

I fished Dukes Sunday afternoon. There was a huge down pour right before I got out of the car. Looking at the river, I had the same reaction as one of the posters above, that it was too fast and there was too much junk in the water; high and muddy was good but this might have been the other extreme. At first I fished below the highway and got nothing but stick and leaf fish. I decided to go up and try to find a slower pool which was fairly difficult. I threw several times in one spot and BAM! hooked up. I only had my 4wt with 4x so i let him take some line out into the faster water. He went downstream and I fought him for about 5 minutes until he broke me off on a limb. Two or three cast later I had the same thing happen as before then a third that just came unbuttoned. Frustrated at all this i tried on more time and got a huge hit. I could feel this was a big fish. He took me down river and got all the way into my backing about 90 yards. The river was far to high to chase him, and there were trees on my side so i just hung on. He took about three more runs each time i gain ground on him. After about 20 mins I decided to try and navigate my way through and around the trees. During this i think the fish must have come off, but as i got closer i saw that he had wrapped my fly line around some trees about 70 yards down, than 40 yards back up the river and back down again. My leader was still intact. It kills me wondering how big he could have been, but I did learn next time it's high like that where to go and to use some heavy line to muscle them up. They are definitely still there.

Comment

4/22/2015

Had a reservation on the books yesterday so me and a friend made the trip to Smithgall. Arrived at 7:15am to a parking lot of people getting geared up. We hit the water around 7:45 after hiking across the street. He started in his favorite spot up the hill from the signs but the waters were not as favorable as the last trip. I normally get a text/photo from him pretty quick lately. Water temps were the only thing in our favor.

I walked up to lower, middle, and upper picnic hole. Got to the middle and someone was there so I started at the lower side below the car crossing. I saw a couple fish pop up but I only got hung up on rocks by not being fast enough on the retrieve. Walked up to upper and fished another 30 minutes with nothing to show but a couple hangups again. Not too much pressure though since I had fish earlier in the month on the family trip. Streak since Nov. 2011 isn't in jeopardy today. Back to the story, I head on up to a favorite spot during high water nowadays. Hung a brown there in December. Normally Dukes produces on a certain color of lure we use but I decided to try pink. Two casts later this one comes to net after about a 2 minute fight in/out of current. 9:30 text to friend. One in the bag. Skunk still following him.

Cast couple more times and this time I get a nice fish over 20". This one got below me and wouldn't come back. After about a minute trying to hold this one in current my line snapped. A fellow fisherman came up at that time and I said give it a try. Within about 5 casts or less he had a fish on. That one came to net and I took a couple of pics. From what I hear he had 4 by about 11am.

I called him after this and he is still struggling. Told him later it was the 7 to 1 bragging from last time he ribbed me on. I switched to fly after the first fish that day. But he must have had a little karma since around 10:30 he hooked up to a 12" to put one in the books. It was a beautiful day to be at the woods but catching wasn't in order.

Last time. Snow on ground from week before.
                        http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?cb...ate=2015-02-22

This time.
                        http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?cb...ate=2015-04-22

Comment

Originally posted by mattd View Post
                          . . . but I did learn next time it's high like that where to go and to use some heavy line to muscle them up. They are definitely still there.
                          Exactly. Once the water gets really cloudy, take advantage of it and use 3X or even 2X. Glad to hear you at least got to dance with a few!
                          I'm so old I remember when men wore tattoos and women wore earrings.
                          -Lefty Kreh

Comment

Fished Wednesday 4/22 San Juan off pink color almost tan. 12 fish deep! Your welcome

Comment

Running Dukes Creek Thread

Just a couple from yesterday 4/29. I love the rainy sessions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by WadingThroughLife View Post
                                Just a couple from yesterday 4/29. I love the rainy sessions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Beautiful pictures and handling of the fish!
                                "Everyone blows their money on stupid stuff. Just choose which stupid you want and roll with it."

Mark

Comment

Working...
                                X