Running Dukes Creek Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Dukes Creek Thread

So here is my thought for a running thread we can maybe start.
    We all know how popular dukes creek has gotten, and we know how many new folks come to the board asking for info about this place and it can at times clutter up the threads with repetitive questions. Well may I propose that we keep all things related to Dukes Creek inside the state park here?

What to post here:
    Fishing Reports: Date, time, water temp etc
    Flies: Got a hot fly that has been working? Post it if you want!
    Fishing techniques: Doing something and kicking tail when others aren't?

and perhaps most importantly:
    Pictures!!! Dukes has some awesome and very pretty fish. Let's see them!

In addition: Here's a couple links for new folks to help get them started on this awesome fishery:
    http://www.gon.com/article.php?id=3184&cid=118

http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/foru...ad.php?t=95057
    Can you Quack??

Wed 2/19

Fished up there in the afternoon on said date. Water temp was 37, snowing the entire time. Fishing was good, caught 14 rainbows all together, all but two on an olive mohair leech.

Can you Quack??

Comment

Great fish and pictures

Comment

These are a few pictures pictures from two times ago that I didn't post a trip report of. It was around 20 degrees in the morning, fished untill 1 I believe. Mostly on stones. Kelboksi snapped most of the pictures of the big ones for me. I was also wondering if the brown I'm uploading is a wild or stocked brown. The markings just appear to be slightly different than the normal stocker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Last edited by Sqain; 02-22-15, 04:30 PM.
        -Spain

Comment

-Spain

Comment

3/1/15

Fishing Sunday, will try and add a report here after.
            -Spain

Comment

I'll be there Sunday as well!
              Last edited by madfishinskillz; 02-26-15, 12:24 PM.
              How do you get over a crappy fishing day? Go fishing again, and again.

http://www.youtube.com/madfishinskillz

Comment

2/25

I went yesterday to Dukes for the 1st time...

Started low on the creek, at the property line, and worked my way towards the bridge with no luck, maybe a couple of nibbles, but I'm not ready to test my euro set-up for the 1st time (esp. at dukes).

Hiked up the trail towards the cottages, and tried my luck... to no avail

Tried everything in the box...

midges- zebras, brassies (18-22)
                brown and black stones
                stone nymphs, pheasant tails, and hairs ear (12-18)
                brown and olive buggers (8-12)
                San Juan- only have red, no pink in my box
                egg patterns- green, peach, and fl. orange

Fished till 1pm or so, (promised the wife I'd head home before the storm.)

Got skunked, but still had a great time.
                Can't wait to go back again.

I'm really accustomed to a dry/dropper rig, but only with 1 dropper. I have been trying new set-ups with multiple flies, and am not entirely comfortable with yet I guess.
                Last edited by DaveFrom WYO; 02-26-15, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Went w my pops yesterday, got skunked until 2. Then the rain and snowmelt kicked in, landed five w probably ten hookups all on mohair's and squirmies tied and gifted to me by CHEFKY. This was the biggest at about 24". Was the last car in the lot at 4. Ppl missed a great afternoon sesh.

Was told some pats rubberlegs in 8 or 10 caught fish early.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by browniez; 02-26-15, 02:09 PM.
                  I like em big fat and sloppy.

Comment

Originally posted by browniez View Post
                    Went w my pops yesterday, got skunked until 2. Then the rain and snowmelt kicked in, landed five w probably ten hookups all on mohair's and squirmies tied and gifted to me by CHEFKY. This was the biggest at about 24". Was the last car in the lot at 4. Ppl missed a great afternoon sesh.

Sounds like I left too early...

I was the guy that was talking to your dad, when you came busting up the hill. lol.

Comment

Originally posted by browniez View Post

did you strip or drift your mohairs? ive been having luck just drifting mine...

Comment

Originally posted by DaveFrom WYO View Post

I was the guy that was talking to your dad, when you came busting up the hill. lol.
                        I thought that might have been you after reading your post. Its nice to make the connection? Since your in commerce to you go up to the tooga a lot?

And josh I was just drifting them on the fly rod and jigging them on the spinner. Chef actually tied some super heavy for me that match some of my favorite light tackle jigs. I take a 7 foot spinning rod w 2 lb fluoro on it to cast those up some of the longer pools at dukes w a dropper, I find it more sensitive at super long range.
                        I like em big fat and sloppy.

Comment

Thought id throw up some pics for those headed to dukes soon. Fished from 8:15-1:15 ish today. My fishing buddy couldn't make it this morning so some fellow NGTO folks got an open spot. All fish came on #16 pheasant tails. They were biting pretty darn solid today when the sun came out. I fished section 1, picked up a lot of fish in new spots which was fun. Lots of snow still. Here's a few of my favorite shots from the day.

-Spain

Comment

Great meeting you today Sqain! Glad you had a great day!

A big thank you for helping me net that fish at the RB!

DUDE...Your pics are awesome....especially #5 and the last one!

Moe and I had a fantastic day as well. He hooked an absolute lunker right at closing time but 6x was no match..
                            easily 25-26" bow!

Hope to see you on the water again sometime.

PS: Thank your Buddy for us

Originally posted by Sqain View Post
                            Thought id throw up some pics for those headed to dukes soon. Fished from 8:15-1:15 ish today. My fishing buddy couldn't make it this morning so some fellow NGTO folks got an open spot. All fish came on #16 pheasant tails. They were biting pretty darn solid today when the sun came out. I fished section 1, picked up a lot of fish in new spots which was fun. Lots of snow still. Here's a few of my favorite shots from the day.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Georgia...?feature=watch

My biggest worry is that when I'm dead my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. ~Koos Brandt

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DaveFrom WYO View Post

These pictures are fabulous (as are the fish). Great job

Comment

Working...
                              X