X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trout "R"
    started a topic Tallulah

Tallulah

Had the opportunity to go fishing yesterday, and what a day it was!!!
    My wife and I decided to go day camping on the Tallulah. Our 3 year old grandson spent the night with us so we could take him up to play in the creek.
    Truth be known the trip was more for me that them in the back of my mind. Yellow stimulator and orange squirmes were the answer.
    Fishing just a short stretch so they could see me. When I came up to grab a sandwich for lunch, my grandson wanted to play with my 3 wt. So we went to little run in front of where we were set up. He missed 2 on the dry and all of a sudden the dry disappeared. We set the hook and and here is a pick of his first fish ever.
    Lord I know wouldn't trade that moment for $1000,000!!!

By they way the day overall produced more than 25 to hand.
    Last edited by Trout "R"; 11-01-15, 02:25 AM.

• THE EG
    replied
    Originally posted by WadingThroughLife View Post
    Forgive the sidebar questions, but is this area likely the type to be jam packed for Labor Day? Taking my dad on our second annual pop/son trip for his birthday that weekend and looking for shorter crowds, relatively easy camping, and good fishing. Thanks!
    I can't think of anywhere in Georgia that would be more crowded on a holiday weekend than the Tallulah River around those camp grounds. Maybe Rock Creek.

Leave a comment:

• Upstream
    replied
    Forgive the sidebar questions, but is this area likely the type to be jam packed for Labor Day? Taking my dad on our second annual pop/son trip for his birthday that weekend and looking for shorter crowds, relatively easy camping, and good fishing. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It was jammed packed a few years ago when I took three newbies fishing on that Saturday. We did find a little room, but it was tough; although it would have been easier if I wasn't trying to keep four close together. Don't know how the campgrounds were. And yes, some places are tough to navigate. Honestly, I'd expect to deal with crowded condition on any stocked stream that weekend, if the weather's nice.

Leave a comment:

• Trout "R"
    replied

From my experience Labor Day Weekend is not to awful bad. Folks like to stay home and watch football or have gone on a dove shoot. But this area can get crowded. Its a little rough getting up and down the banks for a lot of the river if your dad is a little older. But there are several places he can fish.

Leave a comment:

• Trout "R"
    replied
    Originally posted by Counslrman View Post
    ...Randy,

...were you fishing near the campsites, or up the river 2 bridges or so...??

Blessings!

Jimmy
    I pulled over at the first spot past the Coleman River and fished about 100 yards past the next bride. I wanted to get hang of the Tenkara on something a little bit wider. I had planned on going on up after I got comfortable with the new rod. But I kept catching fish.

Leave a comment:

• WadingThroughLife
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Counslrman
    replied
    ...Randy,

...were you fishing near the campsites, or up the river 2 bridges or so...??

Blessings!

Jimmy

Leave a comment:

• Trout "R"
    replied
    Hey guys and gals,
    I just want to give you all an up date on my trip Sunday. Wow, I took to the Tenkara rod like a duck to water. Other than being a bit longer that my favorite small stream 3 wt. It worked pretty dang well. 31 fish to hand and and its amazing how many people will stop and watch you land a fish. I was also amazed I only had 1 person ask what they were eating. But the dry of choice was a #12 elk hair dropping a #18 telico. It seems like it was 60/40 dry over nymph.
    I also wanted to thank everyone for the info and support. Its really cool to hear form folk on here. The only thing I missed was someone calling out to me saying "oh you're the dummy with the high tech cane pole".
    Will be posting more soon!

Leave a comment:

• Counslrman
    replied
    ...get or tie yourself some of these...they are murder on the pools further up where a waterfall is dumping 1-3 ft down into a lower pool...trout hang out under the fall and just wait for stuff...

http://www.smokymountainflyguide.com...krat_nymph.htm

Blessings!

Jimmy

Leave a comment:

• narcodog
    replied
    If you haven't looked here, http:///www.tenkarabum.com there is a lot of great info. Also TenkaraUSA now has some podcasts up.

Leave a comment:

• Trout "R"
    replied
    Well its been a few weeks since i had the awesome experience of helping my grandson catch his first trout on a fly rod no less. Sadly my son in-law and grandson can not go today, dang it.
    But a new chapter has begun. About a week ago I invested (that's what I told my wife) in what I call a high dollar new technological cane pole also know as a Tenkara. Now I'm headed to early church service this morning, and straight to the river to see if I can get my head around my new toy. So if anyone sees a guy on the river by noon I hope if all goes well, all confused and frustrated that will be me. And if you are an experienced Tenkara fisherman please fell free to come give me some advice. I'm not to proud I promise! Because after a couple of hours I will put it up and go back to my 3 wt in a heartbeat. But I am going to commit to at least 2 hours of learning and frustration. All joking aside I am really looking forward to a new tool in toolbox.
    Wish me luck guys and gals!!!

Leave a comment:

• Deerhuntingdawg
    replied
    That's good stuff

Leave a comment:

• Counslrman
    replied
    ...Beautiful work, Trout R..."the first one's free, kid..."

My kids started when they were 3-4...now they're 28 & 30 and they still fish!

They had their first camping experience on the Tallullah...we used to go far above the campgrounds and climb down some 20-30 ft banks to get to holes and waterfalls...many times, it's surprising what you can catch out from under a rock overhang...

Blessings!

Jimmy

Leave a comment:

• fish2little
    replied
    Tallulah

I like the pic Trout R! It's great to get the little ones out there...

The Tallulah is a beautiful place. We usually get up there a couple times in the fall to wet a line.

Leave a comment:

• story teller1981
    replied
    And you have the picture to last a lifetime. Good on you for passing it on.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X