First Wild Slam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Wild Slam

I've been fly fishing a little over a year and started to find some brook trout streams this summer. As much as I enjoy the big waters of the Chattahoochee that are closer to home, the solitude and scenery of the smaller streams in the mountains are great. Yesterday, I managed my first "slam."

I started the day on a main flow, which was up a bit with all the rain we've been getting.

Wasn't too long before I caught this little rainbow.

See you next time ...

I kept fishing upstream for awhile and eventually got a nice little brown.

With a good portion of the day left, I decided to head up to higher elevations and the tributaries of the main flow to see if I could find a brook trout.

Came upon these falls first ...

Fished upstream of these falls and was still catching rainbows. So, I kept going and eventually came up another set of falls ...

Then it started to look like brook trout water ...

And sure enough ...

And the flop back into the water

Brian

Congratulations!!
    Now you will see what some of us struggle with. Am I going native fishing or go looking for a 20" fish this weekend? Decisions, decisions!
    "Be patient and calm - for no one can catch fish in anger." - Herbert Hoover

Comment

Brian, great pix and post. All 3 are gorgeous fish, especially that brown. I agree with Trout R; I often wrestle with whether to head north for the small streams or drive 15 minutes to the Hooch tailwater. The scenery, setting, and beautiful wild fish in some of those hard-to-reach places makes the hiking and bushwhacking worth it. Congratulations on a great day.

Mark
      "A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined..." George Washington

Comment

Congratulations man! Beautiful fish!
        I'm so old I remember when men wore tattoos and women wore earrings.
        -Lefty Kreh

Comment

Great trip Brian, welcome to the club
          RScott

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

Comment

Originally posted by RScott View Post
            Great trip Brian, welcome to the club

It's my favorite club to be in so far. Awesome report and picture!
            If fishing is religion, Fly Fishing is high church.

-Tom Brokaw-

Comment

Originally posted by Trout "R" View Post
              Congratulations!!

Now you will see what some of us struggle with. Am I going native fishing or go looking for a 20" fish this weekend? Decisions, decisions!

No question for me these days. After growing up in Florida this native fishing in the high mountains has just captivated all of my spare attention!!
              If fishing is religion, Fly Fishing is high church.

-Tom Brokaw-

Comment

Nice report Brian. The more vertical the falls are the more effective the barrier.
                Hal
                If I ever think of something worthwhile it will be here !

Comment

Very nice Brian. Always nice to get a slam where ever you are. Nice pics, Beautiful fish and gorgeous scenery. In recognition of your accomplishment you should receive a certificate suitable for framing in the mail some day.

Comment

Nice fish. I can't wait to start hitting small streams again.
                    Check out my personal Facebook page Tight Lines Joe of North Georgia and my Instagram Page Tightlinesjoe where I give tips on different tactics, stream reports and pictures of Georgia trout!

Team Georgia Competitive Fly Fishing Team now has a Facebook Page and an Instagram Page . Check them out for great information, pictures and events!

New to fly fishing? Check out Monthlyfly.com For localized Match The Hatch Flies mailed to your door!

Comment

That bow looks to be making a fashion statement with the "nose ring"LOL
                      If I ever think of something worthwhile it will be here !

Comment

Congratulations!
                        Nothing like it!

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!

Comment

Nice Slam!! Congrats

Comment

Handsome trout all around! Nice report.
                            "Y'all fishing for stripers?"

"Some buffoon writes something and you guys are gonna jump like little monkeys in a cage for peanuts."
                            - Ned Yost

Follow @kjkornegay on Instagram

Comment

Cool photos of that first fall from all different perspectives. Congrats on the slam.
                              If this were rocket science most of us wouldn't be doing it. - Terry Creech

Comment

Working...
                              X