Speck Trip

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speck Trip

Deerhuntingdawg and I went on a little speck-venture today. It was hot, the creek was mighty thin and crystal clear, but we managed a few dozen. Mostly small 4-6 inchers, a couple pushing 8, but nothing in the 10+ inch class on this particular trip. Elk hair caddis was the fly of the day.

Although it was warm and low water conditions, I still had a ball. Hopefully the mountains we'll get some rain soon...

Comment

nice fish!

I'm honestly surprised there aren't more tenkara fans on here (me and one or two others that i can think of). The amount of guys on NGTO that love the small stream action, and how well tenkara lends to it- I honestly can't see fishing streams like these with a rod/reel anymore.
      Resident Tenkara Nerd

Comment

Nice fish. The waters I tied last week were extremely low also. We need a week of streaky rain bad.
        Check out my personal Facebook page Tight Lines Joe of North Georgia and my Instagram Page Tightlinesjoe where I give tips on different tactics, stream reports and pictures of Georgia trout!

Team Georgia Competitive Fly Fishing Team now has a Facebook Page and an Instagram Page . Check them out for great information, pictures and events!

New to fly fishing? Check out Monthlyfly.com For localized Match The Hatch Flies mailed to your door!

Comment

Wow. Nice finds!

Comment

Rain has been scarce this way. Had my first real rain in a month here in Homer last night. I already lost almost all my blueberries from my 11 6' bushes. I already lost all my persimmons from my 3 female trees here in the yard (usually drop mid Sept-November, but my trees are fruitless now). Thanks a lot rain!! I fished N******will creek last weekend and it was extremely skinny. Managed enough fish and a couple to bring home, but it was tough.
            Glad to see the specks are in good shape! Figuring I need to go up this weekend to collect a mess for a pan fry! Good job boys!! Fine fishing right there!! Seems like almost always the EHC is the ticket! I did catch a mayfly hatch on a speck stream a couple weeks ago. Doesn't happen often. I approached the pool I call the hog hole and sat there watching a speck rise to mayflies off the top. I found dead spinners and all that. Mayflies everywhere. Sort of pistachio colored ones. I kept watching the one speck darting from beneath a rhodo branch dangling in the water and rising to mayflies. I took my time, enjoyed the sight, then made one cast to him with A #16 EHC and a #22 WD-40 dropper. He ate the caddis. Ended up being a pretty little 8"+- fish. It was too late in the evening to try and keep a mess so I just let him swim. Went to the next pool up, cast the same fly, and caught a cookie cutter type of the previous. I lamented letting the last go. But being as the last one swam free, so did this one. Could have managed some fine dining had I left to fish earlier and planned better!!
            Great pic J!!!
            Last edited by Killer Kyle; 07-12-16, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Good stuff! We have finally started getting some rain around here.
              Little Debbie Prostaff

Comment

Working...
              X