Quick Family Vogel Trip

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Family Vogel Trip

With the warm temperatures we decided to load the wagon and try to catch a few for Monday nights supper. Having 2 babies under two years old has a way of limiting where one can go trout fishing in January, and we often fish the lake at Vogel because of the easy access. The fishing was good, and we put 12 on ice in the hour we fished. Trip #1 for 2017 was a success, let the good times begin.

The ladies are getting a bite...

Happiest bunch this side of the nut house:

Supper on Monday night:

Well done my brother! And it looks like the Buck Force was strong at Vogel this weekend! The smoking hot trophy wife and I were there on Saturday to do some hiking with the pooch and I caught a few with my ancient Orvis bamboo spinning rod. I did very well down by the spillway.

Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
    Simple Goat Herder
    Former NGTO President
    Hall of Fame Member

Comment

Sweet! If I ever get to meet you in person, how much would you charge to autograph my hat?

Btw... I got a kick out of the plan to leash the kids so we could fish...

And, maybe it's because I live in a bubble, but I also got a kick out of these clowns doing Yoga in the goose droppings...

Comment

Originally posted by buckman1 View Post
        Sweet! If I ever get to meet you in person, how much would you charge to autograph my hat?
        Autographs are always free, along with sound financial planning advice!
        Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
        Simple Goat Herder
        Former NGTO President
        Hall of Fame Member

Comment

Congrats again Buckman1!! Your starting 2017 off right!!

Comment

Excellent! You have a beautiful family joey!
            I like em big fat and sloppy.

Comment

Great way to start 2017
              "Something to think about: If you fish the wrong fly long and hard enough, it will sooner or later become the right fly."
              ~John Gierach~

Trophies are relative

Comment

Good stuff
                THEY TRIED TO BURY US BUT THEY DID NOT KNOW WE WERE SEEDS

Comment

As my good buddy Killer Kyle likes to say: 4 minutes per side!

Comment

Good start for the year!

Comment

Where's the brook trout sushu!
                      I like em big fat and sloppy.

Comment

Originally posted by buckman1 View Post
                        As my good buddy Killer Kyle likes to say: 4 minutes per side!

That does look good!!! After reading your report I decided to give Vogel a try. I went there yesterday, took my creel so I could bring some home for the fryer. I fished for 2 or 3 hours, caught 3, gave up and went to Smith. Caught 10 at Smith. So turned out to be a good day, but unfortunately I could not take any home for the fryer.
                        "Why me Lord what have I ever done to deserve even one of the pleasures I've known" - Kris Kristofferson

Comment

Vogel

Hillis bank fishing or floating?

Comment

Originally posted by HILLIS LANIER View Post
                            That does look good!!! After reading your report I decided to give Vogel a try. I went there yesterday, took my creel so I could bring some home for the fryer. I fished for 2 or 3 hours, caught 3, gave up and went to Smith. Caught 10 at Smith. So turned out to be a good day, but unfortunately I could not take any home for the fryer.
                            What we're you fishing with? For fly fishing in a lake, it's really best to float so you can get closer to the fish. Also, generally sub surface flies such as gold ribbed hairs ear, wooly buggers, and junk flies such as squirmies, San Juan, y2k's, eggs, tiny renowski jigs, etc, can be effective. Add a little flash, as the majority of what you'll catch are stockers.

For casting, slow rolling a mepps #1 or #2, a 1/8 or 1/6 rooster tail, a 1/4 Panther Martin, blue fox, joes flies etc is tough to beat. Slow roll so slow, just fast enough to spin the blades. It can get tricky, you only slow roll in the strike zone, then you'll need to real faster to keep the hooks out of the sea weed.

If you're keeping some for dinner and death of the trout is inevitable, tough to beat bait such as salmon eggs, corn, power bait, or a piece of a nightcrawler about the size of a #8 streamer. They will swallow the hook and swim in the great beyond fishing this way, so bring a pair of needle nose pliers and a cooler with ice. Tip: keep the beer on one side of the cooler to avoid getting fish slime on the mouth of the can...

Comment

I was fly fishing from the bank with a black wooly bugger for the most part. Tried an olive wooly bugger for a short while, but the three I caught were on a black wooly bugger. I fly fished the lake at Vogel from the bank back in December and had a great day, but I agree fishing from a float is the best way to go. Next time I will take my float. Thanks very much for the tips on flies to use.
                              "Why me Lord what have I ever done to deserve even one of the pleasures I've known" - Kris Kristofferson

Comment

Working...
                              X